Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time back, maybe in this forum, although I can't seem to find it, there was a concern about the firing pin on .22LR hitting on an empty chamber. This was due to people not realizing that they had already fired their last cartridge and pulling the trigger on an empty chamber. This eventually creates a burr in the chamber where the firing pin hits it.
Solutions for this problem(?) were discussed. Mine was to insert an already fired round last into the magazine tube. I thought at best it would feed and not fire, letting you know you reached the last cartridge, or at worst, it would jam, doing the same.
Well, yesterday I tried it, and they don't feed. :shock: It jams. :oops: Still keeps you from pulling the trigger on an empty chamber, but it's easier to count your shots! :cry:

Just thought I'd let you guys know of my experiment. 8)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Since this is a Marlin forum… the new Marlin semi-autos say they have a feature to hold open the bolt after the last shot is fired. Write to Marlin and see if that feature can be retrofit on older models. Might be worth looking into. :lol:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is the 1897 Texan. Lever action. So far I don't feel a difference operating the lever wether it loads around or not. It's not really a problem for me. I just posted it 'cause it was discussed somewhere and I said I'd try it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A properly fitted firing pin should NOT hit the breech face of a rimfire rifle. Thought I'd bring that up as an FYI. I have two Ruger 77/s (one a 17 Aguila and the other an HMR") that I dyed the breech faces of and dry fired to see if the pins hit: They didn't. If you've accidently, or deliberately in the interest of Science, dryfired your 22 and see a shiney mark on the breech then you have a concern. If not, be careful, count your rounds, but otherwise don't freak if you accidently dry fire it. There is a greater danger in breaking the firing pin in some arms where the rim acts as a cushion that stops the pin in it's last .043" of travel. ~Andrew

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andrew: Thanks for the info. I've never been too concerned with this issue. My old Mossberg Plinkster does break firing pins regularly every 2000-3000 rounds. Don't think the tip was hitting the chamber, as the firing pin tips didn't show any damage. They would only get dry-fired upon cleaning the action, I won't leave them cocked, and of course, when miscounting the rounds fired. Still, even risking damage, I think it safer to pull the trigger until the rifle goes "click" than risk a round in the chamber by mis-counting. That goes for the old Mossberg, but with the new Clark Custom 10/22 ($$$$$) and the 1897 Texan I'll make sure it doesn't hit.

Anyhow, now I know how to check for that and make sure if they are hitting or not. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again,

Luis

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Luisyamaha,

That was my 1897T! I have been more careful counting my shots but the firing pin still hits the breech. I have even filed it down some but I don't want to get carried away to the point that I have failures to fire. I have probably gotten a reputation for being a complainer but with the last two Marlin rifles I have purchased, I have a lot to complain about. I really don't want to send my rifle back to the factory (again! :twisted: ) because last time it took for frigging ever to get it back. I will just keep counting shots and filing the firing pin. Thanks for bringing up the subject again though. I appreciate the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts