Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I found a little quiet time today and loaded up some Fire lapping rounds for the 30-30, hopefully I'll get it done today!

Attachments

Reactions: erimort and Grunt69

·
Registered
504 Posts
I firelapped my 336, and when I was done, I had a little lead fouling towards the end of the bore. next was a model 70, and I used a little alox on the bullets and ran a patch of hoppes through the bore after each round. of course that is easier with a bolt action, but the bore was clean when done.

were I to firelap another 336, I would use alox again for sure, and push a patch through after every 5 shots. also an opportunity to clean the chamber and the bolt.

you may have done this many times, and if so ignore my advice. Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do clean the chamber and barrel, every 5 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why did you fire lap your rifle?? Rusty bore? Tight/rough spots?
This will be a Cast Bullet gun, I always Firelap Cast Bullet guns!

Reactions: Dr. A and erimort

·
Registered
567 Posts
I firelapped my 444ss, 1894cb 44mag and my 336cs 35 rem following the directions in Marshall Stanton's book and will do my new to me 444p when I get the chance. It takes time to do it right but well worth it IMO.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Firelapping done right, is a win, win, it has helped every Marlin I own so far.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I fire lapped a marlin once. Cut groups in half. I used tubbs throat maintenance lapping bullets on mine. Reduced fouling also.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have heard of fire lapping and read a few articles about it. I have not read the above mentioned book by Marshall Stanton. I have not tried firelapping and do not know of anyone who has. I can shed a little light on the subject of why "Fire Lap". Fire Lapping or any other barrel lapping is supposed to remove any rough spots or high spots left after machining operations. It makes the bore more uniform and smooth. It also is supposed to reduce leading (by making the bore smoother and slightly larger). Does it work? Is it worth it? You need to get a testimonial from these gents that have tried it.

I have used lapping compound on many things. It is not scary or dangerous, it will remove metal, polish metal, increase your clearances if that is what you want to use it for. My advice is to be cautious, if you have never used an abrasive compound before it will remove metal! that's what it does, so make sure to go slow and clean it all up, do not leave any behind.

Here is a good article about fire lapping.

Fire Lapping Barrels - Cast Bullets For Beginner And Expert

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two answers that affirm you have a positive view of fire lapping, but both fail to address the question, why fire lap? :hmmmm:
As stated above, the manufacturing process of a Marlin can leave tight spots in a barrel, stampings as in logos or writing, proof marks, dove tail cuts, drilled holes, and tooling marks, etc. We all know we need at least .002 over bore size for Cast bullets to shoot accurately, if you have tight spots, the tight spots can affect the diameter of the cast bullet when shot. That causes accuracy issues and leading issues, Firelapping removes those tight spots, smooths the bore, and smooths the throat, Firelapping when done right will help the firearm shoot more accurate with either Jacketed or Cast, will foul less with either Jacketed or Cast and will make clean up far easier and less frequent. Firelapping In a nutshell, is shooting a cast projectile, that is impregnated with lapping compound around 12bhn, at airgun velocities.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
A little fire lapping goes a long way.I have a bore scope and have found 6 rounds to be the max needed.Two of each grit.Too much fire lapping with consecutive shots with out cleaning can screw the throat up big time.I do not fire lap just because.There has to be a reason after looking through the bore scope.I also slug the bore to feel for tight spots.I actually find that hand lapping with a lead slug to do a better job with out messing up your throat,but thats for sure not the EASY way.JMHO OB:biggrin:

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Consider the rear dovetail is cut with a broach which puts a lot of pressure doing the cut. That is where most of the tight spots are. Then if you have an A or C model with the dove tails holding the fore end on, and another holding the front of the mag tube, and if you have a dove tailed front sight. It goes on.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Everything Starbow says is true. I also like the fact that it lengthened my throat on a couple of guns that had made it exceedingly hard to chamber normal 311041 and RCBS 180 rounds. My groups have halved as well. My CB can shoot way better than I can. The XLR is close to that. I also like the 1 to 12 twist better with cast. I can shoot the rounds faster if necessary.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sold on Firelapping my rifles I bought a 444SS that was hard chromed, when it got the rifle it would not shoot 4" groups at 100 yards with the 240gr Remington ammo, and worse with other ammo. I know my barrel was foul free as I cleaned it with wipeout a couple of times before I ever fired it, my known Handloads sucked too. I firelapped it, and tested again, absolute tack driver, it will glover leaf the Speer 270gr @2200fps all day long, and it shoots all jacketed bullets superbly, it is my go too jacketed bullet 444 and has the worst looking rifling from the factory! Firelapping improved my Ruger M77 in 308Win as well, cut the groups in half!

·
Registered
969 Posts
OK. Sounds like its worth a try if done with limited numbers of rounds. So the question is: "Does anybody make pre-impregnated rounds for the 30-30 with ever finer grits for firelapping"? Some of us don't make our own ammo.....

·
Registered
567 Posts
Blackberry, not that I know of but you might want to give Marshall Stanton at Beartooth Bullets a call and discuss it with him, he may know someone. His book really explains things well and I would consider it a must read. He sells lapping supplies as well.

As far as number of rounds fired he suggested about 25-30 rounds for most rifles. Although I think he states that Ruger stainless steel barrels are extremely hard and when he firelapped his super blackhawk it took him nearly 200 rounds to get it in shape.

I would echo Starbbows comments, accuracy improvement and being able to shoot cast bullets better were the drivers for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts