Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, anyone can just snap a photo of their gun & post it, but do you ever try to get a good photo of one of your firearms? Shotgun, rifle, handgun, whatever... Time to time I'll try to take a better than average photo of one or more of my firearms. Sometimes at home, sometimes in camp or in the field. Marlin Owners has LOTS of firearms photos on it, but I'd love to see the ones you've taken, that you made an effort at, or that came out unexpectedly well. I'll start with a couple of mine that I like, these were actually taken with my android cell phone, nothing fancy:

11.7mm Danish Rolling block (very similar to a 45-70) with the sword-bayonet for that rifle and a grizzly skull. The dark background is a bear rug here at the house. I took just a few moments to set up the shot, and thought it came out pretty well:

22 Savage Hi-Power, 1913 build, displayed with a couple of older boxes of ammo, and a wolf skull, on a coyote rug. I think I could have done a lot better on this photo, but I gave it a try. I like that it's posed with wolf & coyote, for which the 22 Savage would be appropriate:

Had the rolling block rifle at the range one cloudy & damp day, set it down on the weathered table and thought, "Huh, that looks kinda cool." So propped up a cartridge on it, and snapped with the cell phone. It's okay, way more interesting than on the floor with my socks in the photo.

I'll toss in a few more later, with some thoughts on what I thought made it a more interesting photo.

Looking forward to yours. Guy

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ha - I just went upstairs and created a photo with a lot of mistakes - all of which detract. We're trying to show off the rifle. Hey, it's only a Glenfield but I like it.

What you don't want to see are: my socks, the carpet, my dog, the camera strap hanging down into the photo... And the flash overwhelms the rifle. Also, trying to get the entire rifle into the photo isn't usually necessary. This is NOT a good way to show off our rifles:

Guy

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Guy, I really like that Danish rolling block. I'm going thru the motions right now trying to decide between a vintage Remington RB in 45/70 or a clean 1879 trapdoor. Got the spg holy black compression die smoke cloud itch.

I try to get a good picture of my guns, but I usually fall short. I never have the right lighting I guess.
image1 (4).jpeg

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rifles and shotguns, even short-barreled versions, are pretty long. Difficult to get the whole rifle into a good photo. So, don't show the whole rifle in the photo! In the first post with three photos of the rolling block and the Savage, none show the entire rifle. It's not normally necessary. And think about angling the rifle, not just diagonally across the photo, but perhaps angling it up or down, away from the photographer...

Here are three shots of my 375 H&H Ruger Number One at the gun club. I took a moment to shoot a few photos. They could have been better set up or posed, but, they show the difference between showing the whole rifle, then closer, and closer still. I should have gotten rid of that green water bladder, peeking out from under the pack flap!

The whole rifle. Good points about the photo are that it shows the grain in the buttstock, and also that I'm shooting at 300 yards, not at typical handgun distances:

A little closer, and that obnoxious blue plastic ammo box is out of the picture:

Finally, real close, and a cartridge is added. Perhaps my hand shouldn't have been, and to me the plastic water bladder peeking out from the pack flap detracts too, but there's good detail on the rifle action & scope mount:

It was just a brief pause in my rifle practice, and I didn't put much into the photos, but they're "decent" in my opinion, far better than on the floor with my socks! :)

Guy

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
I wish I had skill with a camera and could take really GOOD pics. Great photos guys! I am always in a rush and the resulting pic always seems to reflect that............

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Travis - I like the revolver photo - and it's obvious you made an effort to set it up. Including cool stuff somehow related to the gun makes it interesting to me. You've got ammo, the bullet mold, the powder you use, a cool sign, and the whole thing is set on a nice background. Lighting is okay.

A second photo, closer in on the revolver, with the other stuff moved out of the way, but on the same background, would be great.

Guy

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Travis - I like the revolver photo - and it's obvious you made an effort to set it up. Including cool stuff somehow related to the gun makes it interesting to me. You've got ammo, the bullet mold, the powder you use, a cool sign, and the whole thing is set on a nice background. Lighting is okay.

A second photo, closer in on the revolver, with the other stuff moved out of the way, but on the same background, would be great.

Guy
My OCD always tells me I have to get the WHOLE gun into the picture, but looking at your photos you are definitely right! You don't have to display the whole thing. I'm going to play around with it today using your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the only rifle I own with "nice" wood - it's a 375 H&H Winchester Model 70. Sunlight usually does a nice job of bringing out the wood grain. I took this photo at the range, and was trying to show off the buttstock.

The rest of the rifle isn't shown well, and that didn't matter, because I was only after the buttstock.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never should have sold this rifle, my JM stamped Marlin 1895. Took the photo years ago on a sunny bear hunt. Again, the sunshine brings out the wood grain.

At the time I was messing around with the crossbolt safety, getting used to carrying a lever action loaded, one in the chamber, safety on. After all, I was bear hunting. Set the rifle on the pack, found a decent angle, and snapped the photo while taking a break from the hunting. No, I didn't get a bear.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Here is a picture that I took out of my tree stand last year of my 1894 in 44 magnum. Not a bad picture but it could certainly be better. There is a big difference between pictures that are taken out in the field and ones that are taken at home. I usually just carry my phone or a pocket camera when in the field. There are a lot of distractions while in the field such as my backpack and the tree stand and of course you're hunting. However at home you can adjust what's in the picture as well as lighting and angles. What's funny about this is that I have all the photo equipment to take very nice pictures. I use to do wedding photography in my spare time. So you would think I would have done this. Since we are going to have a few days of rain. I need to drag out that equipment and see what I can come up with.

Jim

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Field photos with game are interesting. In this one I wanted to show off my 25-06 Remington with the 6x scope and the Washington mulie I'd just shot. I had been dragging the buck down towards a dirt road, paused for a break, and realized that the light was pretty good for a photo. Had a compact digital camera with me too.

So - dragged the buck into position, propped up his head with a piece of limb, leaned the rifle against the buck. The stick propping up the buck's head is barely visible behind the rifle. It's a photo I'm still pleased with, 12 years later:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny, I've had this shotgun, literally 50 years, and have almost no photos of it though I hunted with it a lot, and my son hunts with it now. It's a 20 gauge Ithaca, built by SKB in Japan. Dad gave it to me in 1969 when I was just a kid. So... last fall after our pheasant hunt, I asked my son to hand it to me, and set up the photo with two roosters he'd shot. One of the very few photos I have of this great little shotgun. Why I haven't done more photos with it? I honestly don't know. It's a wonderful gun and there are many happy memories of hunts with it. The birds steal the show here with their bright colors, but the shotgun is displayed too:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Here is a picture that I took out of my tree stand last year of my 1894 in 44 magnum. Not a bad picture but it could certainly be better. There is a big difference between pictures that are taken out in the field and ones that are taken at home. I usually just carry my phone or a pocket camera when in the field. There are a lot of distractions while in the field such as my backpack and the tree stand and of course you're hunting. However at home you can adjust what's in the picture as well as lighting and angles. What's funny about this is that I have all the photo equipment to take very nice pictures. I use to do wedding photography in my spare time. So you would think I would have done this. Since we are going to have a few days of rain. I need to drag out that equipment and see what I can come up with.

Jim
Jim - I remember that photo and I like it! Shows the nice checkering, and I like the glimpse of that forested country you hunt as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with, using your pro quality camera & probably lights at home!

Guy

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh - same 25-06 rifle & 6x scope, with a different mule deer - ten years later. This is a cell-phone photo! They can do amazingly well. I like the photo a lot. I was hunting with two buddies, but walked up on the buck alone, and took a moment to pose the rifle on him. That rifle has taken several mule deer and antelope now. It remains a favorite and I think I captured it well in this photo though I do wish I'd taken time to remove the ugly bipod:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I shot this with my cell phone. It’s my Durham County Sheriff’s Department 100 year anniversary Colt Python. I illuminated the cylinder chambers with a flash light. Nickel and bright stainless are hard to photograph due to reflections. I was concentrating on the engraving of the Sheriffs badge.

9499A347-601C-4984-B8BC-BFF962E06DC0.jpeg

·
Premium Member
13,898 Posts
Now where did I put that photo of the T-Rex I killed with my 1895CB 45-70...??????

1 - 20 of 105 Posts