Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hang out some over at Beartoothbullets. Fire lapping seems to be the thing to do for shooting cast. I want to know if it helps that much for jacketed bullets too. Here's hoping RD or maybe even Marshall gets this one. Anyone who has fire lapped their gun, I would like to hear about it. Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I have only fire-lapped one rifle - a Ruger No.1 in 22-250. Prior to fire-lapping, it consistently shot 1.5 groups at a hundred, and after lapping, it clustered them around .75 at 100. I was very pleased with the results. I have a buddy who refuses to fire-lap, stating cconcerns over throat erosion from the lapping compound. Yeah, it will erode the throat a tad, but it seems to tighten groups from erratic rifles. I have a couple that are borderline on needing it, and I haven't given up on finding a load they like yet. If I can't find a load they like, then I will be lapping them as well.

Shum8

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I have firelapped 4 45-70's, 2 30-30's, 1 357, 1 375, 1 356, 1 444. All improved. The only pattern I could see is that more firelapping may be needed than what is recommended by Marshall. THe 357 probably needs a bit more work. THe NEF 45-70 got more treatment than the others, and needed it because of its longer 32 in. barrel. The polishing part of the procedure is very important. I fully agree that a minor amount of erosion occurs at the throat. I really only know this because of limitations I had with my 30-30CB. This lapping improved so that I could seat the bullets out at their normal OAL. My 95 has only shot cast, so I can't talk too much about the quality of its jacketed shooting, but all groups improved by 1/2 except for the 357. The leading decreased to nothing, and the need for cleaning went down an awful lot. That 95 has over 10,000 rounds through it since I firelapped it, so I doubt i'm going to see any decrease in service. I've actually tried to wear out the barrel. My Ruger #1 in 45-70 shoots jacketed, and does so well, it is not too hard to shoot Speer 300gr. and 50gr. of H4198 into a .6 inch group 3 times out of 5. Its groups before were in the 1.4 inch range. I've also noticed the speed of a load will increase a fair amount. I have never let any of the lapping material remain on my cases (messy), and get into the chamber. I follow his directions to the letter, including the speed, polishing, and slugging. I highly recommend it, and have even done it for my brothers rifle. Once you shoot cast out of a firelapped gun, you won't care about jacketed out of it again. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Lantrad...

I've firelapped my two 444s and saw some pretty good improvements in accuracy. On both of these rifles it cut the group size in half or better. I haven't shot any jacketed bullets through these rifles but I feel it couldn't have done their performance any harm.

My 444T is a good example of what it can accompish. I wanted to start shooting the BTB 280-grain WFN bullet out of this rifle. Prior to firelapping the best 5-shot group I could manage with this bullet was an MOA of 2.01. After firelapping, .79!!! There was no change in powder charge before or after the lapping (43.5-grains of H4198). I also saw a velocity increase from 2049 to 2106 FPS. Some of this velocity increase is due to temperature differences with when the data was recorded, it was about 10 to 15 degrees warmer when I recorded the "after". It has been my experience that I see an increase of about 2 FPS for every degree over that recorded at a given temperature. Again, just my thinking based on my experiences. I would suspect for like conditions that the increase was a gain of about 20 to 25 FPS.

To do it correctly, it is a very time consuming process starting with the bullet prep through the polishing process. I would get the BTB Technical Guide and read through it completely. I had bought the supplies for all my rifles but other things consumed my summer.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I have firelapped all my cowboy caliber rifles but boy is that a lot of work.

It did help all of them. To bad, and their might be, I just don't know of them, that someone would come out with lead bullets already impregnated with the different grit compounds. That would sure make it a lot easier.

I had trouble finding soft bullets that I could easly impregnate with the compounds. To do a good job the compound needs to be in the lead bullet not just setting on the outside.

Does anyone know if ready made firelapping bullets are being cast?

djh

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Yeap... rolling the compound into the bullets is a pain in the arm and very time consuming to do a good job. VTDW uses his feet!

I'm not sure if you are asking if the soft, lead bullets are available or if the bullets impregnated with the compound are available. The basic, soft alloy bullets are available through BTB... Lapping Bullets but you still have to roll your own.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Thanks Ranch Dog:

I was actually wondering if the bullets pre-treated with the compound was available.

I do not have any more of my rifles that need the process but it would have been nice if I had known where to purchase pre-treated bullets had they been on the market.

Thanks, djh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts