Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So, I find it virtually impossible to find .25-20 brass online anywhere at ANY price! 馃が
And my attempts to form some out of .32-20 (that I do not have that many to start with) have not worked:mad:.
But I did find a box of Hornady 45 gr. HP 218 Bee.
I read one comment that it could be fire formed, then run thru a .25-20 sizer to make it work for 25-20.
My question is: Has anybody personally done that & if so, did it give them good results???
Thanks for any input guys,
Denny

Registered
I've resized a few 32-20 case into 25-20 cases. The most failures was 10 out of 100. Some of those were because I did not presort very well or got sloppy.
I don't know what .218 bee ammo is going for but if it is anything like 25-20 ammo the possibility of alot split cases instead of fireformed is scary.
I saved back a bag of 100 with the hope of getting a Bee some day.

Registered
I鈥檝e made a lot of .25-20 cases out of .32-20s, but only new brass. I use Imperial Sizing wax exclusively for this, and make the first pass with the .32-20 cases into the seating die. That die has looser dimensions than the FL die and improves success. I then re-lube and use the FL die. Case loss from the last 100 cases was....one. Once-fired .32-20 brass, not so much.

Registered
The Starline 32-20 brass has a thinner rim than the loaded (Remington 86g sp ) Winchester 25-20 brass i have.
So I keep the head stamps separate.

Registered
there are 3-4 different lots of 25-20 brass on gunbroker right now, not cheap, but available. one is 42.00 and no bids, only 50 rounds. not sure if this helps any, I did buy some off gb a year or so ago.
Barry

Premium Member
I have formed 25-20 from 32-20 at 100% success rate after ruining 25 at the start to learn. This was with form dies from Redding. Not Reddings fault, but me being new to case forming conversion. I too have considered forming 25-20 from 218 Bee. Hornady makes this very interesting. I have not tried it yet. Too many irons in the fire at the moment plus 60 + hours a week at work.

When I have time....I was going to open up the Bee neck with a tapered expander with lots of lube...and just shoot. I bet accuracy will still be good and I get a fire formed case. I have not done it yet, but these were my thoughts.

After looking at current Win 44-40 factory ammo with nearly no shoulder before firing and coming with a shoulder, I see no difference.

Premium Member
I meant the 44-40 coming out with a shoulder after firing. Sorry, don't know how to edit with this new forum change.

Registered
Funny I have seen more loaded 25-20 loaded rounds on the shelf in the last 4 months then the last 4 years. I bought a .270 Win die as my intermediate die and had no problems resizing Starline 32-20. I just tried a few so no real test. I have 32-20 pistols so I really do not want 32-20 headstamped brass reformed to 25-20.

Reactions: pathfinder65

Premium Member
So, I find it virtually impossible to find .25-20 brass online anywhere at ANY price! 馃が
And my attempts to form some out of .32-20 (that I do not have that many to start with) have not worked:mad:.
But I did find a box of Hornady 45 gr. HP 218 Bee.
I read one comment that it could be fire formed, then run thru a .25-20 sizer to make it work for 25-20.
My question is: Has anybody personally done that & if so, did it give them good results???
Thanks for any input guys,
Denny

I know the challenge.

Nope, only taken 32-20 and necked down. Ojaileveraction is on target. Expect around 10% of the cases to form a crease.

Anneal is step #1. The brass must be malleable to start. It will re-harden from the work.

A good lube like Imperial Wax lube is #2.

Small steps, 1/8" to start is #3. Think in terms of sizing die turns down with each pass. The initial step is the most important. If a crease forms the case is spent. It may take 6 or 7 steps down to full lenght sizing..

The end result will be a case that is a little short. True up the mouth. trim, to equal length. With the short case just seat the bullet out longer so it touches and shows small contact with the barrel lands. Assuming you are using cast bullets.

And away you go.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I meant the 44-40 coming out with a shoulder after firing. Sorry, don't know how to edit with this new forum change.
Bassetman, I had trouble figuring out the edit feature initially, but is pretty easy. Just click on the three dots on the top right of your post & select "Edit".
But, I understood what you meant anyway. But, there is a lot of brass in the neck of the .44-40 (great cartridge) to be able to move around compared to the Bee that has to expand over 30 thou.! If it does, it would go from just plain thin to VERY thin IF it holds together! I guess the only way to know would be to try it.
For now I think that I will be patient & just try to find a few more .25-20 cases until someone makes a run of them again.
As a side note, I was concerned whether my .25-20 loaded with a 85 gr. Meister bullet behind 3.0 of RD at about 1300'-1400 fps would knock down a Ram at 110Y? So, I tried four at the range yesterday & all four went down, but very lazily!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts