Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't take it anymore. Had to see what had happened to my beloved Methow River Valley. For 20 years I've been going there to recharge the batteries. Hunting. Fishing. Hiking. Cross-country skiing. Mountain biking. And even riding the motorcycle!

This afternoon it was 104 degrees, so I decided that was about perfect for a 200 mile motorcycle ride into a fire zone. Why not?

The fire is a record for Washington State, 300+ homes destroyed and over 400 square miles scorched. In just a few days. We lost a substantial portion of one small riverfront town, Pateros. All in a few minutes when the firestorm hit town.

Here's some photos I snapped today:

The fire is still active in places, and is being fought largely by helicopters dropping water. They dip into the Methow River, then fly to hot spots and drop LOTS of water on hot spots.

Big helicopters are favored:

Roads make good firebreaks:

This place made it, minus the barn:

This home, in Pateros, didn't make it:

The people are strong. Really strong. I talked to, and listened to several. They're tearing down the old, and rebuilding. Already, while the fires are still going. These are tough, independent people.

It was a good ride. Although there is much to be sad about, there is also much to be impressed with.

Guy

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
You okay out there? I hope all is well. Grew up going through a former forest fire zone in northern Michigan it will take a long time to regrow.
But it is a very cool process to watch. Plus it is amazing how much wildlife returns to these areas and how fast they do it.

·
Premium Member
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're fine. It's been a tough month. I took this from my driveway earlier in the month:

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
Wow glad you and your family are okay.
Do you bird hunt they will come back pretty quick and in good numbers because the high perches are gone for predators.
Low lying brush and shrubs make a great home for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts