Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night the wife and I were in the house watching a movie when frantic knocking and yelling startled us from the front porch. A nice neighbor was yelling that there was a large fire behind our house. By the time I ran outside (while wife was calling 911) the fire was 50-60 foot high, probably 150 foot from the house. Within five minutes three fire stations were on scene and had it under control within an hour.

Went to bed eventually only to be awakened with frantic beating on our front door at 3:45am this morning. Another neighbor warning us of a large fire behind the house. The embers had reignited and it was a another raging fire, expanding to a larger area. Same fire departments were arriving by the time I was dressed and outside.

The regular fire engines couldn't do much but provide light to the brush trucks that drove right out into the timber. I just have to say thank goodness for the brave men & woman that do this for a living! They are now gone again and I'm watching the back for any new startups. Wish I would have had camera early on, these pics are from when things were under control and I wasn't freaking out. :flute:

All is well, no damage to house or other structures, just lost timber..... It’s Florida – it will grow back!

View attachment 49393

View attachment 49394
View attachment 49395
View attachment 49393

1895gunner

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Scott,

Did they say what the initial cause of the fires were?? Happy to hear that you, the family and your property was not affected too badly. I would have to say that a fire is every homeowners worst nightmare.

Regards

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks buddy, a neighbor reported to the deputies that they saw a group of kids messing around back in our timber just before they saw the flames. They took off before any authorities arrived.

1895gunner

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Good to hear that you, your family and property are unharmed.

Thank God always for firefighters, those brave and courageous folks who risk their safety to keep us safe.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is OK and no major damage. It's good to know you have good neighbors.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Good to hear you and your family are OK. Good neighbors and the firemen are to be commended :congrats:.

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We live in an area where most homes are on a couple of acres up to 50 acres. Most neighbors kind of keep to themselves out here but they are all great friends when you need em. We all take up for each other when needed. We've had other fires out here where it has destroyed homes so it gets pretty tense when large fires happen.

Thanks folks for the responses.....

1895gunner

·
Registered
245 Posts
Glad all is well. I hope you get some rest today.

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad all is well. I hope you get some rest today.
Thanks friend. I just got back from checking it again. It is starting to flare up again in small areas. This stuff is hard to keep put out. Palmettos burn like hot wax and re-ignite easily.

Got to go....

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
Glad everything turned out as good as it did for you and your family. It seems like it could've been a lot worse if it weren't for your good neighbors and the firefighters doing what they do.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Thanks friend. I just got back from checking it again. It is starting to flare up again in small areas. This stuff is hard to keep put out. Palmettos burn like hot wax and re-ignite easily.

Got to go....

1895gunner
Just a suggestion Scott but it might also help to not target practice with all those "Monster-Bore Marlins" you have when there are dry conditions :).

I have been to Florida many times in my life and still have family there and it does really get dry at times. Keep a sharp eye out today my friend ... and hope information on those kids that "might" be responsible comes to light.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Wheeeeeewwww! That would have scared the bejezzus out of me! Glad you and yours are okay!!! Kids, they just don't have the upbringing that my generation had.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Great news indeed . . Happy outcome for ya.
Hereabouts it wouldn't have ended well . . all FD's are strickly volunteers & stations are unmanned.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Glad to hear you and family are ok. I live in the woods and fire is my worst fear. Grew up in Fl. and know very well how it could have turned out.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts