Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learning how to post pictures, and have a long way to go. These are pictures of a Finn, Sako made, M-39, marked with the Civil Guard Sk.Y, 1944. I found it on the used gun rack of a gun shop I frequent. What I first noticed was the brass "spacers" someone had placed around the two bolts that hold the top handguard on. These make the barrel almost "free floating", as it only touches about a half inch of wood at the end of the handguard. These spacers prevent you from over tightening the bolts when reassembling the rifle. The second thing was the extremely smooth, crips trigger pull of about 3 1/2 pounds. Not your average battle rifle trigger pull. Some previous owner/user had done some stone work on the trigger as well as figure out how long to make the two spacers.
I bought it and after cleaning it took some ammunition I had load for a 91/30 and went to the range. Fired at 50 yards and was happy with results. Since then I have replaced the front sight blade with a taller one and filed it to zero the rifle at 100 yards.
I have included some pictures of the rifle and target. Shenandoah

·
Super Moderator
13,321 Posts
Wow, what a beautiful M39 with some good honest wear. Mosins, especially finn mosins are beautiful when their metal is almost in the white, or practically in the white.

I love my M39. It is a 1944 barrel dated Sako, built on an antique receiver dating between 1891-1894 (no tang date), SA marked. It's a decent shooter but it definitely doesn't live up to what an M39 should be able to do. I think I re-arranged the shims around the recoil lug the wrong way.

I do have another Finn Mosin, it is an M28. It's the 943rd SIG barreled M28 made out of the first shipment of 10,000, that got shipped to the finnish civil guard October of 1928. It is one FINE shooting rifle. I'm loading a Lee C312-185-1r sized to .311 over 13grs of red dot out of it with spectacular results at 50 yards. M28's are pretty rare these days, especially if you find a Tikka or Sako but have always been known to be great shooters. Mine has a little honest combat wear. I'll go get some pics here in a minute or two.

Another finned rifle I have is an 1897 Tula M91 that went through a few transitional periods, likely saw the russo-jap war, and then saw WW1 where it was captured by the austrians, then captured by the hungarians where the finns bought it and modified it to their liking. It has a lot of wear but is a pretty rifle in my eyes. Pictures are in the picture thread up at the top, it is stickied. That is where I'll post pics of my M28. I have pics of my other milsurps in there to.

If this is your first mosin, be warned... they're like Lays, you can't have just 1!

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
186 Tmanbuckhunter said:
If this is your first mosin, be warned... they're like Lays, you can't have just 1!
+1.

Nice lookin' rifle, really nice figure in the wood, like Travis says, looks great with all that finish wear.

Here's my '42 VKT built on an 1894 Tula receiver:

The trigger is pretty fantastic from the factory. The Finnish gunsmiths that built these rifles really knew what they were doing.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Very nice, Todd. Welcome to MO :)

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Good looking M-39's! The Finns would typically take the time to shim their actions and not release a finned rifle until it would group an inch and a half at 100 meters. Use caution when dis/re assembling to note shim location and be sure to replace them as they come out. Have fun!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts