Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know what I did to get 2 pictures of the target but you can/t edit or delete on this web-site so I am stuck with it, Sorry.

·
Registered
221 Posts
can you post a picture of the round in comparrison to a 30-30, i have never seen one. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
djh,
It appears that it shoots as good as it looks! Another fine conversion you completed!

·
Registered
356 Posts
djh - indications are that you are a guest - if you register, then posts after that wll be able to be edited by you.

BTW - fine looking Marlin!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Whatever possesed you to convert a 336 to .32-40? Not that I see anything wrong with it, I would like to convert an older 336A to a 24" .32 WS - someday.

What was the parent caliber, and year of rifle. And how was the conversion done? Re-barrel? C'mon what are the details? I am interested in hearing about this!

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
nfmMike:

I like the old black powder rounds 32/40, 38/55, 44/40 and 45/70 even though I load using smokeless powder.

This unit was a 30/30 caliber 336RC mfg. in 1968. The barrel was sleeved to 32/40. I have converted a 336C 30/30 caliber made in 1973 to a 38/55 by having it rebored and have converted my 336CB 38/55, 1894CB 44/40, 1895CB 45/70 and Browning 1885 High Wall 45/70 to pistol grip rifles. I am retired and love to load and shoot them all.

I should be receiving a model 39as tomorrow I have purchased.

It is just a hobby of mine converting rifles.

I shoot the Marlin's and collect the Wincherter models 1873 and 1894 rifles.

I registered when this forum first opened but did not realize it had been lost until yesterday. I have now registered.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
nfmmike,
If you haven't seen djh's matched set of conversions, you're in for a treat, should he favor us by posting them again! They are a really nice set of Marlins! Wish Marlin had the foresight to build guns like he has done!
Maybe you might give us another peek djh?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Thank you Marlinman93:

For someone with a collection like yours, I appreciate the comments very much.

Top to bottom:

Model 1895CB in 45/70
Model 336C in 38/55
Model 336CB in 38/55
Model 336RC in 32/40
Model 1894CB in 44/40

·
Registered
356 Posts
I understand now. Very nice collection you have djh. I guess you manage to get pre-crossbolt safety recievers? Do you completly customize them including stock and finish?

Something I have in the back of my mind is to find a 336A, either .32 WS or .30-30, and convert it to .32 WS or replace the 20" barrel with a 24". Somehow I don't think I am going to find a 24" .32 WS in the sort of condition that I will want it, or I will and then not want to touch it. I would like to build one, the value being in ownership, and owning a long barreled black/smokeless powder rifle that I am not afraid to use regularly.

So, I see your interest. Nicely done.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
32 Special

nfmMike:

If you want to convert a 336A, C or RC to a 32 special. Find an old gun you can get pretty cheep and use the receiver for your conversion.

You can purchase a new Marlin 336A 32 Special barrel at WWW.gunpartscorp.com for $ 57.25 plus shipping. Item # 453960.

I have used several of these barrels from Numrich and have never got a bad one. They are origonial Marlin's and are complete. The octagon barrel on my 1894CB came from there.

The stocks are new Marlin stocks I purchased from the same company and refinished them. They date back to the 70's but were new when purchased. They are now out of stock. I wish I had purchased more of them at the time I got these.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
356 Posts
That is exaclty my plan - I will probably get the barrel first, just so I have it. The donor reciever will come along sooner or later.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Thanks for another look at your rifles djh! They sure are nice!
Mike,
I couldn't help but notice you mentioned the .32WS and blackpowder? Blackpowder doesn't work well at all in bottleneck cartridges, like the .32 WS, so you might chose another caliber should you decide to shoot both smokeless and black in the same barrel.
Bottlenecked cartridges were designed for smokeless powders, and when used with blackpowder, they tend to foul awfully easy.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Marlinman93:

I have another one to add to the collection. Just received a Model 39AS manufactured in 1993. I need to refinish the wood and then take a picture of them together. Will be posting in a few days.

Thanks for the Kodoes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts