Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I had read some reports from folks that look for wheel weights as a part of their exercise walks, they said that they'd usually find a few on each walk and over time it really added up. I haven't started casting, yet, but I have most of the equipment I need. Anyhow, last night I was was doing some work that required me to "hurry up and wait," readjust some equipment, then "hurry up and wait" some more, and repeat, so I took a little walk in between some of my adjustments. I started at the parking garage at work, which is 7 stories high, and found two nicely sized wheelweights, one about 3 inches long, another about an inch long. I found the first almost right away, so was like, "hey, this is easy" ;D , but finding the second took a lot longer, our garage seemed to be mostly clean. I then walked out on the street a little bit and looked at the sides of intersections and such, particularly where cars stop, but had no luck.

I checked the weights when I got home with some wire cutters, and they're both made of lead ;D

I looked it up, and apparently by picking up lead wheelweights I'm doing a real service for the environment ;D

Anyone have any tips for looking for wheelweights like this?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
No tips on "walking for lead", but I thought I'd let ya know you may wanna re-think buying Hardball alloy...Lyman #2 may be a better bet :)

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha, thanks, Ridge, will do.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
miatakix I don't walk roads to much but when I do I get washers nuts bolts even tools not much lead. But a washer is worth 10+ cents ;D

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I pick up wheel weights when I see them, infact if I'm driving and see one on the road, I will stop and pick it up. ;D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used to go to railroad crossings. found plenty there.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi Miatakix,

Just look up occasionaly so you don't bump into thigs, like cars etc.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
The tops of exit ramps with stop signs on them. Frankly, the guys that say they get "lots" of weights walking must have a different definition of "lots" than I do. I doubt I've picked up 10 pounds from the side of the road in my entire 54 years on the planet.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
miatakix go kick around places where people shoot TV's cars ect. lottsa lead and BRASS and you will not get ran over by a car ;D
I know a old guy that hits the local hills and he gets $10-$50 a week in brass. Now he has some competition but I kinda like once fired brass.Yesterday I got 20 fresh 30-30 and mabe 30 fresh 45acp :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
WAlk from your car to a small local garage and ask them if they have any or a bus garage, airport, taxi service..etc. Any place that either works on large buses or cars is a good place to start.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Bird Dog said:
WAlk from your car to a small local garage and ask them if they have any or a bus garage, airport, taxi service..etc. Any place that either works on large buses or cars is a good place to start.
Most of these places are reluctant to let used WW go but a 12 pack sure helps. ;D

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the insight, guys, good stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
janott said:
I pick up wheel weights when I see them, infact if I'm driving and see one on the road, I will stop and pick it up. ;D
Heheheh, pretty funny, Joe. When I was driving home from work I caught myself still looking for wheelweights ;D

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
miatakix said:
Heheheh, pretty funny, Joe. When I was driving home from work I caught myself still looking for wheelweights ;D
With walking and driving you can now double your chances of finding them. ;D ;D

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
As Janott said "Beer" (12 pack) a slab (in Oz = 24) goes along way. That's what I give my tyre dealer for my WW. I do this at Christmas they love it when I arrive. This gets me about 80 lb a month of WW. Not a huge amount but it sure is cheap shootin'.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm pretty lucky. My best friend is a mechanic at a rather large delership so he is able to as much as he wants. I was told that this garage had to pay someome to pick up old WW so if I wanted to have some...to help myself.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Bird Dog said:
I'm pretty lucky. My best friend is a mechanic at a rather large delership so he is able to as much as he wants. I was told that this garage had to pay someome to pick up old WW so if I wanted to have some...to help myself.
[/quote

You be one lucky dude. ;D better get a lottery ticket. ;) ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I have managed nearly a full 5 gallon bucket of WW in the last year. I also pick up money, tools, washes, etc. Last walk netted me 15# of WW and over $3 in coin, as well as other stuff. Walk the tire store parking lots for an easy handful. Major intersections will prove productive.

I wish tin were as easy to find. 8)

Papalote

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I walk 5 days a week, 3-4 miles a day, and have NEVER seen a wheel weight on the ground. Those folks need to change tire shops if they keep throwing wheel weights.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Now you all got me curious. I'm gunna have to start walking to prove or disprove this lead on the ground theory. The great news is will force me to get some more exercise! I'm hoping this proves out - what a way to get started on casting!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts