Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks heres how its going so far I,m getting ready to purchase a 336 in .35 ( have not foud one yet but I will ) and as I always do I find Brass a mold Dies and of course a sizer die too in preperation of getting my new friend and I,ll bet ya can,t guess what I found or should I say what I didn,t find---- Brass Where without begging (and that wouldn,t work anyway) Do You folks frequant to find this Gold ? I have looked in all the normal places I would normaly get Brass some don,t carry it some haven,t seen any in eons I,m stumped I,ll still buy the gun without the Brass in contemplation of finding some in this lifetime But I was hopeing you Good folks here at MO that gave me this Marlinitis in the first place could steer me in some kind of direction (on this planet) to get some---Help I need to make these lead Pills for this Marlinitis sickness I have
DOGG!!!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
.35 brass is in short supply.

For now, you might consider buying a few boxes of loaded rounds and start a supply of brass that way. You might find loaded ammo scarce also, but I seem to see loaded .35 ammo on the shelves fairly often. Bass-Pro had a good supply on a recent visit..

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
reddoggm, et al: The best and least well-kept secret: watch the classifieds on this and other shooting boards.

I am registered on more than a few shooting sites just to watch the classifieds and be able to post an "I'll take it" if and when necessary. If there is requirement of a specific number of posts before posting, get involved. Developed a routine where every morning I check the sites. And sometimes in mid-day and late in the evening.

In today’s atmosphere of ammunition and components shortages, the Shooter/Reloader must go the extra mile plus and exercise due diligence in search of what he/she needs/wants. Components and ammunition as well as some firearms are in short supply and very Tom, Dick, and Hjust might be looking for the same thing as you.

-- Keep an eye out if the local range has a for sale bulletin board.
--Have product arrival notifications with Midway and other dealers.
--Post a "Want to Buy" ad in the various board's classifieds.

--Always a good idea to let those in your circle of shooting and reloading comrades know what you need or are the lookout fo

'Fur zample,' a few weeks ago I told a friend that I wanted some .32 Winchester Special brass. A few days later, he referred me to an classified on another board and I was able to purchase about 75 Hornady bullets, a set of dies , and 120 pieces of once fired brass for slightly over US$100.00, inc. S/H.

And remember in a classified quest:
--Have some idea as to how much you want to pay and can afford to pay and what the "going rate" approximately is.
-- If you see it, 'ya' can't wait around for a better deal. Otherwise, someone else just may come along while you ponder the purchase.

See what Trapper-xx posted.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Over the last few months, I have found 200 new Winchester brass at local gun shows. And the price has been pretty good. The cost was $85 total. I have not found any at retail outlets or even on the internet in a long time so really feel lucky. For loaded ammo, Bass Pro always seem to have some but I haven't seen it at any other local sources.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I may be wrong, But, I think you can Re-Form it from .30-30 (or Other Readily Available) Brass.
Not real sure though. :hmmmm:
Maybe one of the More Experienced 35Rem Reloaders will Know 4 Sure.
Just a Thought,
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
UncleSarge58: Quick and not too technical answer. The .35 Remington is a rimless cartridge, originally designed for the Remington Model 8 autoloader (a J. Browning design) and Model 14 pump rifles. The .30-30 is rimmed. And without going into the dimensions, the .35 Remington is a much larger case than the .30-30.

However, the .35-30/30 can be formed from .30-30 brass. The .35/30-30 is just the .30-30 necked up to .35 calibre and was a very early wildcat designed to function within the pressure limits of the .30-30 cartridge family and rifles.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have so far found 150 1X fired for $50 and have another line on 200 1X fired fo $60 which I will snatch up thats enough to keep me busy for a long while so Now I need to get a 200grain Mold and a set of dies a member here offered up a set of Lee dies for a Real good price I just don,t care for the Lee dies other than The FCD,s I prefer RCBS or The Lyman All Americans I,m a member over at Castboolits and the Folks over there have a pretty large Swappin and Selling sec so bettween here and there I should find what I,m looking for for a good price I,m gonna have to send Chris Smith some $ and get a Star Die Made but I want the Mold 1st so I can send him a Slug to get the die custom for that Bullet
Thanks for all the Replies Guys
DOGG!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Although I don't reload at this time, I've been saving my 35 brass for that time in the near future. I recently reloaded some 40S&W at a friends house and had no idea how easy reloading is....once it's set up that is!

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I once had a friend who died at a relatively early age that was scared to death of reloading. I finally got him at the bench to learn and I went through the steps one by one and he was watching. He did well until the got to the priming part and the first brass he put the primer in upside down. I told him not to worry that it happened from time to time but it worried him so much he never could get it out of his mind and didn't want anything to do with reloading ever again. I remember one person who was afraid to shake the primers in the primer tray for fear they would blow up.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I cannot find 35 Rem brass as well.....I played with reforming 308 Winchester to 35 Rem and it can be done, so, if I get in a pinch I will just buy some new 308 and do the deed. Here is a 35 Rem case on the left with the modified 308 case on the right. By the way, I sectioned the finished 308 case and it is a lot stronger than the 35 Rem case (thicker at the web and lower case walls), and would require a reduction in powder charge. Standard 35 Rem loading data would not apply.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I've done that myself Flattop it does take some pressure on the Rockchuckers handle.

Made a bunch of 250 savage and 22-250 also. My younger years I was way stronger methinks.

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
Me, too, Swany.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I've done that myself Flattop it does take some pressure on the Rockchuckers handle.

Made a bunch of 250 savage and 22-250 also. My younger years I was way stronger methinks.
Hey Swany! Necessity...the mother of invention...for sure! What I did was size the 308's down with a 44 mag die. This leaves a "ring" around the bottom of the 308 case...then, I turn the ring to eliminate it, bell the case mouth, and size the case down in a 35 Rem die. After that its just a matter of trimming to length, turning the neck and fire forming. Here is a photo of the 308 with the "ring" around the base...this is what gets turned off, and it still has a thicker web and case walls than the 35 Rem case (35 Rem on the left in the photo)!

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Hey Swany! Necessity...the mother of invention...for sure! What I did was size the 308's down with a 44 mag die. This leaves a "ring" around the bottom of the 308 case...then, I turn the ring to eliminate it, bell the case mouth, and size the case down in a 35 Rem die. After that its just a matter of trimming to length, turning the neck and fire forming. Here is a photo of the 308 with the "ring" around the base...this is what gets turned off, and it still has a thicker web and case walls than the 35 Rem case (35 Rem on the left in the photo)!

Most often I would use the seating die as a first step, it's always a little larger. But I did use a lot of modified dies for many projects. One is a .308 seat I took the top and 1/2 inch off the bottom. That would do a lot of case forming especially if the donor brass was 06.

Looking at them sectioned cases I cannot imagine the thickness I created without turning that excess off.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
swany I thought of that and did change it as even buying a rifle would get a whole bunch easier from someone close by Good looking out
Thanks DOGG!!!

Thus far since 2004 I've had my location and no ill winds other than folks looking me up to sell me Marlins. ;)

One day I had a 336 30-30 and 39A Mountie I did not know I needed brought to my driveway as a surprise.

This though from a friend also a member who had friend in need of cash and he thought of me.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
OK folks heres how its going so far I,m getting ready to purchase a 336 in .35 ( have not foud one yet but I will ) and as I always do I find Brass a mold Dies and of course a sizer die too in preperation of getting my new friend and I,ll bet ya can,t guess what I found or should I say what I didn,t find---- Brass Where without begging (and that wouldn,t work anyway) Do You folks frequant to find this Gold ? I have looked in all the normal places I would normaly get Brass some don,t carry it some haven,t seen any in eons I,m stumped I,ll still buy the gun without the Brass in contemplation of finding some in this lifetime But I was hopeing you Good folks here at MO that gave me this Marlinitis in the first place could steer me in some kind of direction (on this planet) to get some---Help I need to make these lead Pills for this Marlinitis sickness I have
DOGG!!!
member DRYPOWDER posted some brass for sale yesterday

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/a...g-items/143688-wts-35-rem-1x-fired-brass.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts