Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Man what a joy to shoot. I've not fired a rifle in easily 10 years and I`ve never fired a lever action, this gun is pure awesome. We were at a quarry so it was just rough blasting at about 75 yards got a bull and 5 head shots.
Next time it will be at a proper range for some real training as I'd like to be proficient at a 200 yard range.
And I love the smell of burnt gunpowder it`s been a long time and I keep smelling the empty shells!!

So this raises a question how many continuous shells can you fire before you heat damage the barrel? I did notice the barrel was getting hot after the 16th or so shell.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I let mine get way too hot but lead melts before steel so I figure ill have molten led coming out my barrel before I start melting steel. That's my thoughts and if I Shoot out a 45-70 lever gun ill gladly buy a new one or get a custom stainless octagon barrel put on. Win Win in my mind.

Click Click Boom

·
Registered
140 Posts
I take several guns with me to the range. I shoot a 5 shot group with one rifle usually slow fire. Depending on types of loads I am shooting in my 45/70 I can either shoot one 5 round group of full power loads or at least two groups of light plinking loads. When a barrel can't be touched for more than a few seconds it's to warm. Accuracy usually falls off when a barrel gets hot.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I take and run a patch with solvent down the barrel. Cleans and cools the barrel. I also have a three piece aluminum shotgun cleaning rod that just fits in the bore. I slide that down the barrel and let it sit for a couple of minutes as it pulls heat from the barrel as well.
As far as damaging the barrel, I doubt you could fire enough through it to damage the barrel. You will get a lot of fouling, especially with lead bullets, but that can be removed with a good lead removing bore cleaner.
My friend is into the blackpowder cartridge guns. They use one of the plastic sports bottles with the long nozzle hose. He opens the breech, points the gun towards the ground , inserts the tube into the chamber and squeezes the bottle flushing water down the barrel and out the muzzle. He then pushes a dry patch from the breech to the muzzle.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I have often heard it said that when you wrap your hand around the barrel and cannot hold it comfortably then it is too hot, let it cool. I would say if you are shooting for groups then 3 to 4 shots. When I get a rifle sighted in I am more prone to shoot one shot out of a cold barrel to see where it hits, afterall this is the shot we should be worried about.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
jabberwoki

Welcome to the fun of Marlins & rifles.
My rule of thumb on barrle heat is if it's pretty uncomfortable to touch, I let it cool.
Sometimes in the summer this takes awhile, I've been known to put my rifle in the shade for a few minutes to let it cool with the action open so air can flow through it.
Marlins are fun aren't they???
Good shooting.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
That's a good easy rule. Thanks Frank.
You are welcome. It's an easy way for me to remember to not overheat my bbl.
Enjoy I think you are going to like the Marlin.

You didn't say whether you reload or not, if you do use some nice light loads to practice with.
Marlins will stand pretty heavy loads, but that doesn't mean you have to. Lighter loads will be way fun to shoot.
Let us know as you get more range time with your Marlin & SAVE YOUR EMPTIES!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts