Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,559 Posts
Chowder,

Just be aware that the FTX/gummy nose/burger on the hoof Hornady brass is non standard in length.

That makes it impossible to hand load with some dies. The Hornady dies work fine, but buying FTX ammo would be for me an last ditch effort.

2X7 scope or 1.5X4 or 5 will all work OK on the 45/70.

Enjoy!!!!!!! Good gun and lots of good people and Info found here!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

· Registered
4,559 Posts
The 45/70 is my last caliber to begin handloading after starting in the 60s, so I did need to relearn some things as the "Mild to Wild" range of loading possibilities puts a different slant on the picture.

It is not harder, loading for the 45/70 just needs a bit of a different approach then the many other high velocity center fires I've loaded for over the years.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

· Registered
4,559 Posts
Chowder,

Let be well known that I'd be one of the last to discourage a person from handloading, but it is a commitment and to a point, a life style, so just make sure that if you go that way, become a good handloader and not just a re-loader.

The Handloader being the person who seeks to produce a quality product which is safe, well tested and close to optimum for his or her firearm, while the re-loader is mostly just interested in making ammo that goes bang.

I have seen both.

I once thought that everyone who shoots should be a handloader, or at least let me help do it for them, but a few years back I found a friend that even though I gladly built the test load series for him, he could not be bothered to even complete the testing series.

This is not a run of the mill guy, he was an employer - business man, long time pilot and aircraft owner, an engineer type person, but just couldn't be bothered with the necessity of the testing process needed for developing quality handloads.

Didn't make him a bad guy, but it did teach me to be quite clear about the process anytime I suggested handloading to someone.

BE a good handloader or just buy a few boxes every year and be done with it.

No one who is realistic, expects to save money handloading, considering the investment, we just get to shoot a lot more for the same amount of dollars and while doing so, shoot ammo tailored for our specific firearm

Don't let this discourage you, just be realistic.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.