Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 45 years of hunting, I have finally joined the Enlightened Ones, and acquired a 336. It's actually a 1967 WesternField 740-A, 30-30. I bought it from a long-time hunting partner. I would rate the condition as about 95%, and it obviously has not been used very much. The walnut is a pretty decent grade, which I like. It had a little creep in the trigger pull, but I removed the hammer yesterday, and did a little touch up work with a stone, and now it has a really nice, crisp trigger. I added a 1-4X Leupold scope on low mounts, and it is ready to go.

I had been using a Winchester AE XTR Deluxe, 30-30 for my woods hunting. This rifle has the prettiest, highest grade of walnut on the buttstock of any standard production gun I have seen. It was almost too pretty to use. It is pre-crossbolt safety rifle, but there is a lot to be desired with the triggers on these guns, IMHO, and not much that can be done to improve them, at least from what I have found in my research. These lawyered-up triggers are pretty poor. I am happy to have something that I have a chance of getting some real accuracy with.

I have no adequate explanation as to why I have waited so long to wise up. But, as they say, better late than never. I really like this rifle, and I can see right now that I will be looking at more of them next month at the gun show. How soon do the symptoms of acute, chronic Marlinitis begin to show up? I think I better take my temperature.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Marlinitis set in for me with a 336A from Dick's Sporting goods a couple years ago. I bought, then within a week had it traded for a nice 1981 336C in 35 Rem. Then, in a little gunshop, I found a 90% condition 30TK; a K-Mart only model with a barrel band on the forearm, a half-mag, straight stock, 18.5" barrel 336. Then, I had it. Marlinitis. I just picked up another 336C in 30-30 for $300 out the door. I'm at three now, but I can fit one more in the safe......

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Bedrock, welcome to MO!!! To answer you question about Marlinitis, seem to me it has already set in, could be wrong but don't think so. Enjoy your Westernfield Marlin, pictures and a field report would be nice. Take care, John.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Yep ya got it. However, it's a good ride, so buckle up and enjoy! ;) Abel, you musta had a strong immune system if it took ya that long to get 3 of em. ::) ;D Mine was kinda weak, 4 years and 14 Marlin levers. :-[ :D Had some in the past and hit hard times, sold everything of value I had to survive, :'( now am blessed so makin up for lost time. 8) DP

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Abel, you musta had a strong immune system if it took ya that long to get 3 of em.
Nope, I'm just a newlywed with a wife who runs a tight ship! We pay close attention to our budget. One day I might have the income to support more, but for now, three 336's is OK with me.....

.....but I would love to get my hands on an older 336SC. I've seen several that had tags on them for $450, but I shop for other configs in the $300 and under range. I might buy a Glenfield 30 with the half magazine if I can procure one in a trade or for around $250. ;D

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Glenfield 30 is what I'm lookin for as well, prefer the ones with out the pressed in checkering but any would be good if in good shape. Only one I found is covered in rust, with pitting and 40% of the stock finish is gone. Priced at $300, willing to come down all of 25.00, says it's rare and collectable. ??? Hope I find one soon, my 336 XLR is gettin nervous when I start talkin about a JES rebore and bob job. ;D DP

·
Registered
797 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bedrock.
Seems like there's been a run on here with folks finding these old Westernfield 740's here lately.

The one I've recently purchased is a 67 model also, and it's around 95 percent.

You might just have a new favorite hunting rifle now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the warm welcome. I am sure I will enjoy spending some time here. And when the weather improves a little, I will be enjoying the 740 as well.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Bedrock,
There is no such thing as Marlinitis. It is a contrived affliction propagated by those who do not have the passion for such fine things as Marlins and their care and well being. Do not think that these people would ever shirk on their duties as contributing members of the community and a well rounded family life.
Some Marlin owners have become avid recyclers, ridding the environment of large masses of lead. They are very good at refining it into smaller portions, which are then returned to their mother earth.
Marlin owners have an active role in their upbringing of their children. A very important issue with the youth of today is getting out, away from their computers and spending time with one or more parents. While teaching them to shoot and do so in a safe manner, there are other important lessons passed on to the next generation. Like all those things that can be used for targets. The biodegradable items and never glass. And a day out shooting with the parents, is someting most will remember for a lifetime.
That way, when they are in their adulthood, it will become natural for them to buy Marlins and be instantly rushed back to a simpler time. See? It is a simple and natural thing.
Larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts