Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used 39a a couple of months ago and finally took it to the range today. I put a 3-9x32 adjustable AO Bushnell air rifle scope on it. I am getting < 1 groups at 50 yards with the bulk pack Federal ammo from Wal-mart. I cannot ask for more. Saying I am please would be an understatement.

Unfortunately it looks like Federal has changed the Walmart bulk pack ammo since I last bought a box. The stuff I was using today was the old load #750 which has a 38 grain bullet. The new bulk pack is load #745 which has a 36 grain bullet. I hope they shoot as well.

Corrected yardage. I typed 100 and it should have been 50.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Those are some great groups @ 100Yds. Congratulations....you've obviously got a keeper. Wish mine shot that well. What kind of groups are you getting at 25 Yds. Have you tried the Black Death target yet?

firstshot

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks firstshot. I haven't tried the BD yet. 25 yards is the toughest distance for me. The range I shoot at has nice benches for the 50 and 100 yard rimfire ranges but not on the 25. There is a 6 inch plank. I tried today but between the wind, it's breezy in KC today, and the bench the best I could get was about 1 1/2 inches at 25. Went to the 50 yard bench and was getting 1 inch there. I didn't go to the 100 today. I need to print some of the BD training targets.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Congratulations on your find, wuchak.

I've been shooting the Federal bulk pack stuff for quite a while and have had pretty good luck with it, but it seems to be a little inconsistent lately. Some of the rounds sound strong and then there is the occasiononal weak one. It is especially easy to hear the difference in them in my 39A.

I thought I had decided to switch to the Federal Lightnings, but I've also had some inconsistency with them, so now I'm thinking about trying the Winchester stuff that Wal-Mart sells for about nine something a brick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts