Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally shot my 356ER a couple of days ago. Also shot my 444P with Lee's 310 gas check lead at the same outing. The 356 win. cartridge in the marlin setup is just plain the right caliber in the right gun. Authority with not that much recoil. Why Marlin doesn't bring this back is beyond me. I was working up to max loads just to check for pressure signs. Didn't take the chrono with me on that trip. Just testing different powder charges and getting it halfway sighted in at the same time. Started at 43 grs for the first 4 rounds and progressed a full grain each time up to 47. Lee listed a max of 45 with AA-2015 and Speer listed it at 47. As I am using Speers' 180 gr. bullet I went with their data and found absolutely no sticking etc. Needed a better rest than I had at the time but, accuracy was very acceptable with every load level. Seemed to drop them all right together. The chrono will tell the story next time. It was 80 degrees at the time and I didn't let anything cool. Just shot as I was ready. Everybody ought to holler until Marlin makes these again. Get one and you'll see what I mean. Rick ...D..mn, I sound like an advertisement. Can you tell I really like this gun.

·
Registered
440 Posts
But is is a winchester round.
Marlin and winchester both agree that the 356/375 did not sell during it's time so why revisit a loss?

I say the rifle chambering is a good one, but the price of Ammo kills the rifle from the start. Same with the 358 W chambering . Who wants to pay the money when you can almost buy three box's of 30/30 for the same?
The BLR just hangs on , I bet at a loss. It too is a great round , but the price of ammo- Whew!!! . The average man can not afford to shoot it.
Now the reloader gets the break. I load the 358W and this is the only reason I have the gun. I can afford to shoot it.
Let WINCHESTER / BROWNING BRING BACK THE 356W "NOW", Sell the ammo at about the same cost as the 308 W.

Next door, they sell the milk at cost, to just get you in the store.

Lower the price of factory ammo , to compare, and a little marketing and the 35 cal , just might make it.
Write to Winchester ? Browning ?

Sell the Ammo at a loss , at first , then you might buy the rifle ,. Sell enough rifles and the demand for Ammo will go up , thus down the road a profit.

Here in Central Ontario Canada the virtues of the 358 W and the blr is becoming known . As a hunting round in heavy bush as well as mixed bush and farm land . In order to get the best of the cartridge and to keep cost in line you need also to be a reloader.

Now the 356 W falls in the same grove . Reload for it keeps the cost in check. In the eastern bush , hold your head up and walk tall. Do your part and it's down.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't thought much about ammo cost because I reload for everything. You're right about it not being cheap [$31 here] but, compared to something other than 30-30 it's not that much different. All these SSM this's and thats cost about that much also. Cheap Rem. 444-240s cost right at $25 for a box around here.[just bought one] The 356 is not a 30-30, it is much more. 30-30 anything is always cheaper. Guns and ammo included. I'd compare the 35 rem and the 30-30 but, not the 356. It's just a different caliber. Appreciate the input. Rick

·
Registered
440 Posts
the 356

lantrad said:
I hadn't thought much about ammo cost because I reload for everything. You're right about it not being cheap [$31 here] but, compared to something other than 30-30 it's not that much different. All these SSM this's and thats cost about that much also. Cheap Rem. 444-240s cost right at $25 for a box around here.[just bought one] The 356 is not a 30-30, it is much more. 30-30 anything is always cheaper. Guns and ammo included. I'd compare the 35 rem and the 30-30 but, not the 356. It's just a different caliber. Appreciate the input. Rick
Up in these parts a box of 356/358/375 is going to cost you in about 40/43 dollars depending were you go then, and if and when you can find it.
You can buy 3006/308 class shells for 18.00 and up.You do not get into the thirdy dollar range unless your buying the more expensive loading .

The 35 rem. here is almost dead , and ammo is getting hard to find too.
Brass is getting to be the same . I load for the 35 Remington as well.

Reload for the 35 Rem and it is a new little gem capable of so much more than with the factory offering.

Back to the 356.
Almost bought one myself before I got the 358W, which is the big sister to this round.

Here in the north eastern bush I could not think where you would be undergunned with a calipier such as the 356W.The only draw back, you probably need to reload as your not going to find a box of ammo at the corner store . You need to pick up your brass in the bush as I do with the 358 as well with my 35 remington.

About the only thing that has left the rifles on the rack when winchester was selling them , was the high cost of a box of bullets, when 308 /3006 could be had at a more reasonable price.
That in itself probably killed the round faster than anything with the farmers here.
Now, however the rifles command a high price since they are no longer made . If you were to find a as new in the box unit it is now almost a shame to carry it hunting , the same goes for a 358W bolt.
The value as I see it is only going to go up.

Iantrad

Injoy your new rifle. Marlin did not make that many in this round , so you have something different than the other lads.
Stay ahead of the brass game . If I were in your shoes I would constantly be picking up brass. you probably , like myself can still buy brass from Winchester . but once fired can still sometimes be found.
I am always on the look out for 35 Rem and 358 W brass myself. Believe it of not I have managed 200 hundred rounds of 358W over the last two years but only twenty rounds of 35 remington.

Yes! I have a good friend in Texas, shipping me what he can.

Have fun.
Happy

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy, Can you order from Midway Arms? I've bought my 356 and my 35 brass from them. I'm lucky in that I live about 4 miles from them. Kind of spoils you when you only have to order and wait 3 hours for pickup. New winchester brass seemed to always be available when I called. Love this 356. Wish I had more opportunity to utilize it's potential on something other than deer. Thanks for the input. Rick

·
Registered
831 Posts
You can make brass for it out of 308 brass. It will usually extract out of the marlin. The 358/356 dies will expand the case neck but be sure to dry lube the inside of the case mouth.

·
Registered
440 Posts
lantrad said:
Happy, Can you order from Midway Arms? I've bought my 356 and my 35 brass from them. I'm lucky in that I live about 4 miles from them. Kind of spoils you when you only have to order and wait 3 hours for pickup. New winchester brass seemed to always be available when I called. Love this 356. Wish I had more opportunity to utilize it's potential on something other than deer. Thanks for the input. Rick

No! -- I can not import from Midway.they do not export to Canada.

They had a run of 35 Remington brass and I was thinking of ordering.
We got this import / export on both sides of the border, so that sure drives the price up, or makes things impossible to get .

Stangely enough a have a good American friend send me brass in the mail, mark it brass , has no value, and I can get it in the mail. I am sure some time I will get a letter from customs Canada asking me for the poper permits, and the shipment has been siezed.

You have no idea on how this affects the Canadain shooter , as every thing is imported so then every thing must go throw a dealer that has an export/ import licence requiring permits on both sides of the border .
This means delays and it sure drives the price up.
I imported a can of "Wipe Out" Great stuff, and I would not minded to pay twenty dollarts for the can, plus shipping.
By the time I got it delivered to the door, that 13 dollar can cost me close to eighty dollars Canadain.

How the "H" did all of this happen to Canadains ? We were all sleeping and disorganized and fought amonst ourselves , when we needed to ban together as a group, and stand up, and be counted. We were snowed in and taught this was good for Toronto , so good for the Country . Ontario or Toronto rather , can make or brake a goverment during an election.

Yeah ! it is coming to your door too . A step at a time until its to the point of no control over your rights . Maybe they can not take your guns , but llet then take the dollars out of your pockets , until you give it up .
LISTEN UP!!

We can not by specail edition rifles from Davidsons, buy gun stocks or gun parts for the most part because of this export permit thing.
We can not import lead bullets, and here in Canada you buy what you can get never mind what size you like.
Gun shops are a thing of the past and one usually needs to drive a few hours one way to find one. Most of the shops could not provide a service after they paid all the fees to operate.
Just a few of the big firms could keep going and of course had to pass on all the fees and permits on to us.
Then things need to be ordered US and we are delayed a few months for the part to come in , If the dealer in the States exports , great! we should have it in a few months.

The whole plan I am sure , is to frustrate the Canadain shooter to the point of them giving up. Costs of gun ownership is always going up. getting supplies is caught in more red tape to the point that we the working man can not afford the sport anymore .
Most Canadain hunters and those in the shooting sports ,and those that belong to gun clubs are like myself gray haired baby boomers. There are no young ones following in our paths.
Just too much cost and permits to get started . The goverments man date is to disarm it's citizens . The gun control thing was the first step . the next was to out law certain firearms . The next step is now is to make every thing just a rich mans game.
:evil:

Next the UN will knock on AMERICA'S door. Get rid of the worlds small arms they say. It is for the best of all for you as good citizen to turn in your arms for the beterment of all man kind

Just order @ MIdway you say ? MAYBE ten years ago .

Well 9/11 put a stop to that , at that time. No Blame on you guys , it was our goverment that started with the permit thing!

You guys really do not know how much you take for granted .
JOIN the NRA . PUT a stop to this right now!

Enjoy the great out doors . Take a young one shooting
Invest in your in your rights as you have them now

God Bless America
Happy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts