Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's late in doing this, I should have tried it out weeks ago but some postponed jobs at home had first priority. I sort of sighted my Henry in at 100 yards a few weeks ago but the wind was blowing pretty hard and I wasn't satisfied with the results. Well this morning I had some time and there wasn't any wind but I could only shoot at 70 yards. I just tried some different ammo I had on hand so I could see which grouped the best. Here's the results:

All targets shot at 70 yards, 5 shot groups except target #4 (a 6 shot group), shot off of sandbags.

Target #1- Fiocchi 40gr JSP
Target #2- Remington 40gr PSP
Target #3- CCI 40gr JSP
Target #4- CCI 40gr JHP (6 shot group)
Target #5- Federal 50 gr JHP
Target #6- Remington 33gr Accutip

Target archery Shooting sport Circle Recreation Design
Shooting sport Target archery Circle Recreation Shooting range

Hope you can see the holes but anyway it's obvious my Henry likes the CCI 40 grain JSP known as the Gamepoint ammo (target #3). I prefer useing HP or SP bullets instead of solids and as usual, the rifle will tell you what ammo it prefers. I think me and my rifle have a happy compromise :). I finished up by sighting in with the CCI JSP about 1" high at 70 yards. As soon as I can I will fine tune it at 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Catherine.

I admit the groups are nothing to be proud of but I believe they will tighten up with more shooting on my part. I will finish sighting in at 100 yards today with the CCI JSP and will post the results later. On the target #3, the 4 holes are easily covered with a quarter with the 5th hole possibly being pulled by me. I will use a rifle clamp at 100 yards today and see if that was the case.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I have never owned a .22 mag but I am sure your groups will tighten up Lonnie. I do own a Henry .22 and I still have yet to find any ammo that "doesn't" cycle or shoot pretty good in it. Henry makes fine rimfires ... I have never owned or shot one of their centerfires.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I shot at 100 yards this morning using a gun vise but this time the Remington PSP gave the best group with 1 1/2" groups. Unfortunately I had to quit shooting because I ran out of some types of ammo and also the wind picked up too much to give the ammo a fair test. I will have to order some more ammo and continue at a later date. It does seem that the more I shoot the rifle the more the groups are tightening up. The Remington gave better groups today at 100 yards than before at 70 yards. Oh well, at least I have something to do now during summer. It just can't get any better than just shooting some .22's , whether they are Long Rifles or Magnums :). It will definitely get me ready for deer season and my .338MX.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts