Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got around to sending Jim my 308 for some work. (I hate mailing my marlins) After much thought after retirement and relocating my mxlr just didnt do it for me anymore with its current configuration due to barrel lenght. I went from open fields, swamps, thickets,etc in Alabama to some of the thickest stuff Ive ever hunted in my life (shots are less than 100 yds and these are trails Ive bushhogged and chainsawed to death... I refuse to have a rifle and not hunt with it so I decided to have it cut from the present 24" to 19.5, and recrowned
Jim is also going to bead/media blast it, enlarge the lever, trigger work. Elected not to have the the full length tube added. Should be back within a few weeks. Really looking forward to getting it back as it will be my first stainless to have blasted and getting it sighted back in with a different scope.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Pics and range report as soon as you get it back, PLEASE!!! DP

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely DP, looking forward to sharing. I am positve it will shoot better due to a different scope that I will put on it when she returns. the One that was on it was a Bushnell 4200 elite 50mm with illuminated reticule, which I love but it has very thick crosshairs that would only allow me 1l4" groups at best. I am sure the replacement with smaller crosshairs will tighten her up a bit. I do have a leupy vxIII with same reticle (illuminated reticule) but smaller but its a 50 as well. I am trying to get away from the 50mms but since this is my go to gun for the backyard bamis I am still inclined to put the leupy 50 on here regardless of weight and size versus the 36mm vxIII I am intend to use, just because my travel to my stands from my backdoor is minimal, coffee in one hand, the ole marlin in the other..so weight and balance is not a issue.. I just like those illuminated reticles for deer hunting at dusk. I dont mind giving up some weight / balance for the fov and other advantages I think u get with the 50'smm. The just dont bother me on anything over 20" barrels. But for the money Ive recently discovered it is hard as Heck to beat those Vortex diamondbacks in either the 1.75x5 or the 2x7. the comparison to top dollar optics is minimal to my old eyes. Just wish they made a illuminated one in the diamondbacks. but range report and pics acoming in hopefully a few weeks. So excited Im out today clearing land for the new range out back. Now Im convincing the wife that we need to trade in the tractor to get one with a bucket so i can complete the range with a burm of dirt, lol. Told her I needed for her garden ideals.like hauling dirt ect...told her the back just cant shovel dirt like i use to,, she replies " why dont your back hurt climbing a tree in your stand or dragging deer, i said its adrenalin honey,, adrenalin, just like the day I layed eyes on you, .....but shoveling dirt just dont get me excited unless Im digging a grave for my worse enemy....lol think its gonna work..have a good weekend.

Pics and range report as soon as you get it back, PLEASE!!! DP

·
Registered
788 Posts
DJ... anticipating your results here too. I have a 93 serial prefix model that shoots like a laser but I just wish the barrel was shorter. It shoots so well I'm just afraid to do anything to it. Please post some pic's of yours when you get her back!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sounds like you got a interesting project going on. Got them places to hunt around here too, been hunting them all my life.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Ok, I read your post a little more closely, you have indeed sent it off for mods.

I'm curious. No issue in lopping off the barrel to whatever length you wish but did you considered that the muzzle velocity would be reduced rather appreicably? Could the case not be made to simply purchase a 30-30 and use 170 grain projectiles for roughly the same effect? you could even have it enhanced to AI specs and then load FTX projectiles...

And if you are cutting down a JM barrel I am even more perplexed.

Again, your rifle, your preference, your rules, you have no one to answer to... certainly not me. Just a curosity attack.

Ss

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update. Jim called me on my 308 per my request when he was getting to it.... I spoke to him in detail about barrel length. i.e ballastics, energy loss, etc.... So after going over ballastics and type of hunting I do with this particular Marlin, he convinced me that 18.5 would be the ticket and for me not to worry bout going down to 18.5. from 19.5. Jim is A very knowledgeable individual and assure me that my worries would be over when i got it back and rescoped and sighted it back in. So hopefully in a few weeks, it will be back with a lil less shine, a lil less barrel, a lil larger lever , a lil less trigger pull, a lil less weight . So after I finish posting this I am running to my safe and getting my 338 mxlr and walking to my father in laws house and putting it in his safe and tell him not to let me have it for a while,,, just in case i get itch and cut 4" off her too. Thanks to go ole troy for recommending Jim Brockman and putting the bug in my head "cut it to 16.5." cut it , cut it......well its getting a trim by Jim for sur' troy and I am very excited to get it back and post range report and pics.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a cut down Jm xlr 45-70 View attachment 108920 It didn't seem to mind.
Your gonna love the shorter barrel
roger that. its like 10 fps per 1" on the 308 express. the Standard 308 shoots its best out of 18 inch barrel. go figure. comparing it to a 3030 is hogwash. did you have it bead blasted? I like the xlrs, some did not know the marlin did the 308 in a trapper verison at 16. who did your work. what size did you go down too.. some might say you should have bought a 1895 gs and not cut a jm barrel.....each there own...but like you I love the short barrels and care a less of the proof stamp. Im more concerned of what works for this boy. And could most likely sell my new shortie as fast as I could with a 24" barrel still on it...but then I do have the 338 mxlr to fall back on if it turns out to be a flop, lol......if it does I will give u first dibs on it since u like shorties too. lol take care ...

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Hope it goes well. I had some issues with Brockman, getting back the 2 Marlins I hand delivered to him. 3 week quote on fix time (easy stuff). 4 months later, still no rifles. Also refused to give me a repair ticket stub even after asking for one. Finally had to call and leave a message (wouldn't pick-up or return calls) that I was driving down to recover my guns in whatever condition they were in. He said he worked on them but one still misfires just as badly as when I took it in and bedding job did not improve accuracy. Seems like a nice guy when talking to him and apologized as well but maybe I should have mailed the guns in or something cause apparently he didn't like my face.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I talked to Jim today, going to send my 308mxlr and give him a copy of David's invoice and ask for the same thing next week. I like the fact that that my CG buddy did all the leg work and research and went first. I'm not getting rid of mine either, so why not. I think it's going work out just fine and be easier to hunt with; at least if you know the Jones' it's easier to keep up with them......

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
730 Posts
I love short lever guns particularly and have a fondness for all short shoulder fired guns. I have never thought of cutting back an "Express" but would probably cut the 338 before the 308. To me the smaller bores rely more on velocity to kill quickly than the larger bores. I have had two of the 308s and one 338 and never really warmed up to either. I would like having the 308MX for my "long range lever" but I'm not real fond of the 160gr ftx bullet. I like just a little bit tougher bullet. I was never able to find the 140gr Mono Flex bullet but would think it would solve my perceived issues.
Anyway, good luck and I look forward to seeing the pics of your completed projects.

Goat

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love short lever guns particularly and have a fondness for all short shoulder fired guns. I have never thought of cutting back an "Express" but would probably cut the 338 before the 308. To me the smaller bores rely more on velocity to kill quickly than the larger bores. I have had two of the 308s and one 338 and never really warmed up to either. I would like having the 308MX for my "long range lever" but I'm not real fond of the 160gr ftx bullet. I like just a little bit tougher bullet. I was never able to find the 140gr Mono Flex bullet but would think it would solve my perceived issues.
Anyway, good luck and I look forward to seeing the pics of your completed projects.

yes I thought of that, but I got the 308 first of the two. I ordered it thru my dealer before they hit the market. I just acquired the 338 last year and yet to do anything to it. She sits in the safe, waiting her turn. As I posted before the 338 I stumbled unto and it has European proof marks. I think a few went to Germany and came back for some reason. I sure wish I knew the whole story, but someone on the forum also ended up with one that came back. They are JM rifles (338s) that went and came back from Germany. Honestly I have a lot of sentimental value on the 308 and wanted to make some changes so it would accommodate my land for hunting with the shorter barrel. The 338 could go up for trade on the forum one day, not interested in selling just maybe some trading. Hopefully it will be back from Brockmans soon and I can get some pics up. Heck might just do the same to the 338, but right now I have a lot of newly acquired JM rifles I have not hunted with in the last couple of years, so this year I vow to use them before moving on to the 338. My replacement rep 44 mag is turning out to be a fine rifle too. I sent it in Dec to Marlin when I purchased it in dec as well. they replaced it in may, and I tell you what, I could not be happier. I took time this weekend to do some tweaking on it at my range, I only shot it three times, had a clover leaf (all touching) 2" high and 1,5 to right. I put back in case and pulled out the new ruger gunsite scout and played with it for the first time, man I love the trigger on it from the factory. Anyhow the 44 is cleaned heading back out this week one day and dial it in at 100 yds. But right now it is looking like its gonna be one of my best shooters EVEN with the REP on the barrel, but then again it is a new 2014 model made with all new machinery and is built as well as any Marlin I own. Trigger is lawyer proof as I call it, ordered 2 wolff hammer springs today from midways, I have no knowledge of them, but reviews are great and reduces trigger pull quite a bit for 6.99 and 4 bucks for shipping, if works as promises it sure saves money over a wild west happy trigger. Happy shooting

Reactions: GrumpyBear

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well got notification that the 308 is coming back via the BIGG BROWN TRUCK Wednesday 30th which is earlier than promised. really excited to see Jims work and how she handles being modified. pics will be coming soon guys......

·
Registered
938 Posts
roger that. its like 10 fps per 1" on the 308 express. the Standard 308 shoots its best out of 18 inch barrel. go figure. comparing it to a 3030 is hogwash. did you have it bead blasted? I like the xlrs, some did not know the marlin did the 308 in a trapper verison at 16. who did your work. what size did you go down too.. some might say you should have bought a 1895 gs and not cut a jm barrel.....each there own...but like you I love the short barrels and care a less of the proof stamp. Im more concerned of what works for this boy. And could most likely sell my new shortie as fast as I could with a 24" barrel still on it...but then I do have the 338 mxlr to fall back on if it turns out to be a flop, lol......if it does I will give u first dibs on it since u like shorties too. lol take care ...
I did the work on the xlr. I simply sanded it down with 600grit to take the shine off. I had a GS but found to short and it is much harder to add a inch then take off 4.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Custom Marlins are more of a Treasure and future heirloom.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Oh boy! I can't wait to see this rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Oh boy! I can't wait to see this rifle! The wait is killing me

Reactions: djj2012
1 - 20 of 38 Posts