Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington for a while. A couple days ago I found one in a pawn shop for $300, I thought that was good enough reason to finally join marlinowners! This particular one was made in 1968 and is in pretty good shape. It is in need of a scope upgrade, possibly a 2.5X Leupold FXII scout scope.
I have everything ordered to reload except the brass, I am bidding on some on gunbroker, that stuff isn't cheap! I was able to find 200 gr hornadys and 220 gr speer's in stock. I'm excited and ready for deer season!

Any recommendations for setting up a scout scope on it and reloading would be much appreciated.
photo 3.JPG
photo 5.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a great rifle! No cross bolt safety so it's a pre-1983. You are going to love the way it shoots. Do you have 35Rem ammo available?

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
:congrats:Congrats on your new .35 and welcome aboard from Tennessee!

Reactions: joel lee

·
Registered
210 Posts
Awesome Price and an awesome rifle! Check around and see if you find some cor-loks in 200 grains. work for deer and you can save the brass!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I was looking for an older model without the cross bolt safety and this '68 gun doesn't seem to have been abused.

I do not have any ammo, the 200 gr core lokt would be my first choice though. I have looked at 4 local gun shops and had a friend look at another out of town, no 35 rem available.
People on gunbroker want a lot for .35 rem ammo!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Welcome from the banks of the "Mighty Mis'sipi"! Great buy, you'll enjoy the lever and the 35 Remington cartridge.

Good Huntin'
Mop

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Greaat find! :congrats: Welcome to the MO! Lots of fun and info here!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Great find. That scope might be a bit larger than you would like, but I'd think twice before getting rid of it. The glass in those old made in Japan Bushnell's was made by Bausch and Lomb. If the scope is of similar vintage as the rifle it should be a good one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The scope is marked 79-3940 AH Korea (3-9x40mm Sportview). It seems fairly clear, I guess I'll see how it shoots when I can get/make some ammo.

I am also considering a peep site set up, maybe a Skinner or possibly a Williams FP-336.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have three Marlins in 35 Remington and I love them all. You got a great deal on a wonderful rifle! Yeah, the ammo is hard to find, but I think it's a seasonal thing. Closer to hunting season, they will bring the ammo out. When that happens, you need to buy plenty! I'm set up to reload mine, too. At present, I have a good supply of ammo, but a trip or two to the range certainly decreases that abundance! Hey, welcome to the forums and to the Marlinitis addiction!

Ron

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
For ammo, brass and other things try the thread" what is the 35 Remington advantage?" I am a member and we, unlike the government. Can help you. best regards Joel lee

Reactions: 38 sup and Pereira

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats, nice looking rifle and at a sweet price too. Gotta' love those .35 rems... :biggrin:
Enjoy.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Nice find. Start the backorder ammo list now. Then start gearing up to reload, I'm having a blast new cast.jpg

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Ys that was a geat deal on the rifle and welcome. Few months back when I bought my first 35 there wasn't any ammo to be had. Then someone recommened a place near me that reloaded and I got the one box he had for $20.50. Just the other day I picked up on 2 1/2 boxes of the Remington core-lock for $50. There are deals out there if you look and like others have said there'll be more come hunting season.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Nice find. Start the backorder ammo list now. Then start gearing up to reload, I'm having a blast View attachment 110624
Congrats on the rifle!! Awesome price too!

myflatline, I have signed up for notifications on a couple of sites but was wondering if there is a list somewhere? Probably wishful thinking right? :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts