Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I posted asking about what the opinions were of a Smith & Wesson 65-3. At the time I had made a deal at a shop to buy. Well that never worked out for some reason as he never got the gun working or he got a better offer. I am not sure. Anyway I looked everywhere local and even ended up buying a Marlin 25N last week while looking and could not find one local. I bought a 65-4 on gunbroker last weekend and after shipping and transfer it was $419.00 and $10.00 less than the local deal I had or at least was suppose to have. I have some cleaning to do on it as there are a few light carbon spots but over all it was not to bad for a gun that has been used and born in 1988.

002.JPG 003.JPG

·
Premium Member
15,451 Posts
congrats,
the 65 will serve you well

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, you found one!!
let the fun begin!
I can't wait to shoot it. My son gave me a box of 158 grain 38 special and some +p for fathers day as he knew I was buying a 357. I had already bought, thinking I would have one a couple of weeks ago, a box of 38 and a box of 357 Mag. So we will be trying this thing out as I will need brass if I ever start reloading.:biggrin:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Nice wheel gun. Solid and foundational. You will LOVE shooting 38 Spl. Ammo in that.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Nice lookin Smith there Golphin! Wish I had one!:congrats:

·
Registered
292 Posts
You're ready to go camping now! Just remember the most dangerous animal in the woods (or swamp in FL), is a HUMAN.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Congrats there is something special about wheel guns. I found a 629-6 44mag last year, and have been looking for a Marlin 44mag to join it. I have an extra Marlin 35 Rem that I am looking to sell or trade, going to post it here tomorrow hopefully. Working out of town and flying home for the weekends makes it hard to get things done and play with the rifles and hand guns....I have goofed up my priorities, but food on the table is important too. :biggrin: Truth be told, my wife want me to sell a few rifles and hand guns. Well you guessed it, I am back to hiding the new additions for now until I can get the others sold or she gets used to seeing them. Told her I needed a Sig P938 as a pocket carry, which started the conversation on to many guns. Me and My big mouth. I keep telling her the rifles and hand guns will be handed down to the grandkids, they like to shoot with me. Their parents have lost the fun of shooting, to many electronics toys to buy. I told my daughters that I will have to depend on the grandkids to protect us from the Feds if it ever comes down to that....hope I am a hundred. I will lead the charge with all the rest of us old Farts!

OOps, some times I get off on a rant, but glad you got that 357, you will love it.

·
Premium Member
15,451 Posts
The Smith fixed sight revolvers are very accurate and reliable
Great guns

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
I can't wait to shoot it. My son gave me a box of 158 grain 38 special and some +p for fathers day as he knew I was buying a 357. I had already bought, thinking I would have one a couple of weeks ago, a box of 38 and a box of 357 Mag. So we will be trying this thing out as I will need brass if I ever start reloading.:biggrin:
The odds of you taking up reloading will increase exponentially once you shoot it. Just like the Marlin 357, it's the most fun addiction you can have. Before you know it you'll be saving your pennies, and walking lonely stretches of road looking for recycleables to convert to cash.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Looks good. I really like my 10 as well. I got my hogue grips just like yours in the other day and I like it even better. She points better now, and should be easier to control. I havent got to shoot mine but Im hoping this week end I can remedy that. Im already looking at a lee 158 gr semi wad cutter mold for it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I picked up a .357 revolver several years ago in a trade. I got the S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman. Rock solid reliable weapon and shoots great. I use it primarily as a backup side arm when hunting. In Florida they allow a sidearm while hunting so started carrying the .357.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Wouldn't mind having a smith myself. I think the wife is going to get one first since the gp100 was WAY TOO BIG for her hand. :flute:

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Golphin,

That is one swell looking revolver. Most of them are "regulated" for the 158 gr bullet to "split" the top of the front sight at 15 to 25 yds.

They will shoot 158 gr 38's, to pretty close to the same point.

Great score, and you will have a ton of fun with it!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Mark your opinion means a lot to me. I had read somewhere that the 158 gr was the one to shoot in these. I have read a lot of advise from you guys on here while trying to get my hands on one for a fair price. I still have not shot it. I could shoot it here at the house but I am going to wait and shoot it Tuesday with my son at the range so we can grin together.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts