Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not a handgun person most of my life. I have picked up some interest the last 10 years and now own a few and do favor revolvers. However I often carry a semi auto pistol for conceal-ability. My main carry gun has been a Kahr CW40 and I do like it and it has been a good gun.
Lately I have been feeling that as a pot bellied old man I should have a 1911. I picked up a lightly used Ruger lightweight commander at a gun show yesterday. I think I will like it. When I got home I put 7 in it and hit the 10 inch gong 6 times from 15 yards shooting very casually as I was mostly checking function. I think it will be a keeper.
Now for IWB and OWB holsters although it will be IWB most of the time.
I did pass on a nice Marlin 32-20 from 1990 and that bothers me some. I thought he was high at $900 and I just can't see that on a new to me caliber for plinking.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Wood
nothing like a 1911 I have had a few in my life. this is the only one I have "for now" it is my pre 80 colt combat commander. I had two colt gold cups that did not shoot as good as this one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Be careful of 1911itus. I bought one years ago and now I have 8. I'm like kingstrider, my #1 carry is a Kimber Ultra Carry. I carry it OWB and it carries better than any of my other non1911 guns. I like it for it's reliability, accuracy and having two points of safety.

·
Super Moderator
15,255 Posts
View attachment 727918 nothing like a 1911 I have had a few in my life. this is the only one I have "for now" it is my pre 80 colt combat commander. I had two colt gold cups that did not shoot as good as this one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
How I miss my old combat commander. .......If a guy could just get all his 'old' guns back.

John

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
you are right John! I sure wish I had a lot back that I let go,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Congrats! That Ruger should prove to be a mighty fine 1911 for most purposes.

I don't own a lot of 1911's, but have been using them for a long time. One of mine has in excess of 85,000 rounds through it now!

Enjoy. And no, ya don't have to be a pot-bellied old man to appreciate the 1911! I may be one now, but I fell hard for the 1911 when I was a much younger, lean, mean, green U.S. Marine! Oooh Rah!

Welcome to the 1911 club!

Guy

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I have owned many 1911 Colts or GI issues. I've only had 2 new ones a 9mm & a Gold Cup in early 70s. Now I decided I want one
again. Had a guy want to trade me a 1911 series 70, plain jane stock- blue. Was suppose to be lightly used with some carry wear on
the blue. When he sent me pics of it, looked like it had been drug behind a tractor. I have never seen a 1911 in that kind of shape.
Deep gouges and pits in the slide & frame. I'm put out over this, I held the gun he wanted to trade on for 6weeks. Needless to say
I didn't accept trade and will not deal with this goof again.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I never thought I wanted one, until Ruger put their name on one, now I ave three!, all Ruger's, a full size, CMD and a 10mm.:dontknow:

Reactions: Arkie and M700

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I have a 1911 in honor of my father. WWII D-Day vet. Never spoke a word of action. But at a gun show I saw an old vet at an antique 1911 table hand Dad a 1911 and then a Thompson. It was unreal to listen to them. I took Dad to see Saving Private Ryan. His only comment was that they got the sound of the bullets right. So I take that big gun and run shells thru it and remember my father.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
You can never go wrong with a 1911. The old series 70 Gold Cups were not super accurate out of the box and many still had to be tightened up. I use a Springfield Armory Range Officer model which is very accurate just right out of the box. I also have a Springfield Armory 6 inch long slide in Stainless steel with bull barrel. This 1911 is also very accurate but a little heavy. I also have a custom carry from Wilson Combat----this is my carry gun.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I was told quite a few years ago that if you wanted a true honest to god 1911 it had to be a colt. I started out with several non colts. I kept buying more and more of them. Trading and buying several brands including metro arms, springfields, Kimbers, citadels and others. I finally broke down and bought a colt. I have had 3 of them now and can honestly say my colts haven't shot any better or worse than the others. They were Colts though. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
How many fire arms are still in production 100 years after their introduction, other than the 1911?

The Mauser '98 comes to mind, but it's no longer made in the original military configuration, and even the action is considerably different in the commercial models.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
How many fire arms are still in production 100 years after their introduction, other than the 1911?

The Mauser '98 comes to mind, but it's no longer made in the original military configuration, and even the action is considerably different in the commercial models.
Winchester 1873 by a couple of manufactures. Colt 1873 handguns by several manufacturers. Anybody else thinking? That's about all I got.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I have a 1911 in honor of my father. WWII D-Day vet. Never spoke a word of action. But at a gun show I saw an old vet at an antique 1911 table hand Dad a 1911 and then a Thompson. It was unreal to listen to them. I took Dad to see Saving Private Ryan. His only comment was that they got the sound of the bullets right. So I take that big gun and run shells thru it and remember my father.
That's about as good as it gets. Thanks for sharing that wonderful bit of history.

Regards, Guy

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Nice 1911. I've owned a couple. Believe it or not the best shooting one I owned was a Taurus. Traded out of it and got a Springfield Armory V-10. Traded out of it for a Ruger SBH in .357 maximum. Some day I'll own that Ruger. Good choice it will serve you well.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.