Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after contemplating how to finish my Remington Hepburn's receiver for over 6 months, I decded finally!
I was at a friend's house after work, and an engraver we know was dropping off some Stevens single shot parts to my friend. All I could say is WOW! Very tastefully engraved, and beautifully casehardened finishes!
After a little discussion on engraving costs, and casehardening costs, I decided to send my almost finished, but still polished, Hepburn home with him!
Dale Woody will engrave the receiver, and then caseharden the receiver, lever, and Sharps steel buttplate. He's got a lot of work backed up, so it will be gone until June. He will also reingrave the "E. Remington & Sons Ilion, NY" address on the new Green Mountain barrel, to make it all kosher again.
Hopefully I can wait anxiously to see how it turns out!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
That is so pretty it is almost a shame to finish it. I know it will be better when it comes back, but wow.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sure shot!
Dale is loacated up near you! He's in Randall, Wash. just a bit closer to you, than me! He really does some nice restoration work, at very reasonable prices!
Yea, I really debated leaving it polished in the white, but as neat as it looks, I worried about rust. I do shoot this gun a lot, and plan to hunt with it too, so I wanted some finish on it. I guess I could have sparyed a clear sealer on, but I sure like nice case colors, and that's what the Hepburns had originally.
http://www.gunfancy.com/

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That shore 'nuff is purdy-doo too!

Didja get you way around elevation issues with that brass tube scope yet? I still haven't done anything to the rings on mine....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Doc,
No, I haven't tried to make any really long range adjustable mounts for it yet. It's good to over 100 yds, but wont make 200 yds, without a different system. The mounts that MVA sells are good to longer ranges, but at $600, I'm just too tight to pay that, and I'll probably not shoot it over 200 anyway.
Since I wont get the Hepburn back until June, I may take time and try to whittle something out on the milling machine. I think since I've really removed a lot of metal from the factory mounts, and polished them up, I might try to make a base that utilizes these rings, but with easier adjustment for elevation.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Doc,
No, I haven't tried to make any really long range adjustable mounts for it yet. It's good to over 100 yds, but wont make 200 yds, without a different system. The mounts that MVA sells are good to longer ranges, but at $600, I'm just too tight to pay that, and I'll probably not shoot it over 200 anyway.
Since I wont get the Hepburn back until June, I may take time and try to whittle something out on the milling machine. I think since I've really removed a lot of metal from the factory mounts, and polished them up, I might try to make a base that utilizes these rings, but with easier adjustment for elevation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts