Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tested out a few loads for my xlr, think I have a load picked out, still have a little bit of testing to do.
37gr. IMR 4198 in winchester case with 405gr lasercast no gas check. primers were remington large rifle. this load was an honest 1/2" OC at 50yds open sights.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
You’re a good man Charlie Brown...... I have terrible eye sight and have to use a scope. 1/2" OC at 50 yards is something I wish I could do. Great shooting!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when is the deadline for the postal match? i MIGHT be able to get some more loaded in time for it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks. we can send either shooting for team 45-70 or indivial right?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Your the man I've been looking for a load for IMR 4198 because I have a full container I just bought and am just starting to reload. I have remington brass and cci large pistol primers I have a box of hornady bullets I'm gonna try but I was gonna buy some lasercasts and start using those. Thanks for the info. You think there will be much difference between the cci primers and the remington primers.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd stick with the large rifle instead of large pistol, but CCI primers should do just fine. My personal favorite is federal for primers but hey that's just me.
i started out with 33gr and worked my way up. make sure you get a good reloading manual before you start testing the upper limits. also remember that without a gas check, you can only push these bullets so fast before accuracy suffers
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
A gas check is a small metallic cup that fits on the base of the bullet. It's crimped in place, and serves as a seal between the hot powder gases and the base of the bullet.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there skmarsh77 -- If I get the right picture posted, the two on the right have gas checks on them. You can buy bullets with them already on or you can install them yourself if the bullet is cast for a gas check. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
The gas check acts as a seal, to keep gas from pushing past the bullet as it travels down the barrel. If the gas pushes past the base of the bullet, it causes the lead to strip off in the barrel, and your accuracy goes out the window because the barrel isn't clean and concentric anymore.

Leading in the barrel can be caused by several things........including undersized bullets (see above), and alloys that are too soft. A gas check can allow the use of a softer bullet alloy, and you can push it faster with little or no leading.

It sounds like you have a lot of reading to do. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you can find a copy of the "ABCs of Reloading", read it. There are a lot of great references out there, but I think this is one of the best.....ymmv.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts