Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to shoot my "New" '88

After owning it just a month and a half, I finally got to shoot it today. The load was a 200gr. plumbing lead pill from a Lee mold over 2 wads cut from a Winchester shotgun shell box, over 30gr. of Goex FFg. All set in motion by a WLP primer. At 25 yards it was every bit accurate enough to make a killing shot on a whitetail. It gave a nice amount of smoke and a great big boom. :lol:

I think I'm going to have to add some wheelweight alloy to the mix. The bullets started to deform when I seated them. I know that affected the accuracy. I only had 12 loaded though so I don't have a lot of waste.

Thanks again to all those who offered info on such a wonderful piece of history,
C.S.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts

Sorry, but I don't remember if your's was a .44-40, or .38-40, but I'm guessing .38? I've never fired black powder in mine. Guess I may have to try it, and see what it's like in the 1888. Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

MM93,

It's a .44.

I've been using BP in my .45 CB at "Cowboy" matches and have grown very fond of the smoke and roar. They sound like a heavy load but barely kick at all. The only problem I have had with BP so far is the bullets from Lee's molds don't hold enough lube for a rifle. During matches I give the bore a shot of Ballistol every other stage or so to keep the fouling soft. So far it has worked, including a 10 stage, 2 day State Match.

CS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts