Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got a good accurate load for my son's XL7 '06.
150 grain sierra game king, 58.3 grains Reloader 19, rem brass and cci br2 primers. About 2730 FPS.
100 yards 2 in the same hole and the 3rd 1/4" away.
58 grains and 58.5 grains almost as good but not quite.

I think I will try this same load with Nosler Accubonds in 150 but have not been able to find any locally.

It seems like with this gun that it prefers a little less speed for an accurate load. My .270 likes one at 3050 fps.
I guess accuracy trumps speed within reason, right?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
LJLKRL said:
I guess accuracy trumps speed within reason, right?
Every time...

An average sized critter won't know the difference between your 2,730 fps load and a 2,900 fps load, provided you do your part and put it where it needs to go. ;) ;D

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think if you move up to a 165gr bullet, you might find more success. You are basically shooting 308 ammo in your 30-06.

My X gun didn't really care for 150gr bullets but it loves 165s and 180s. I get 100fps more with a non max load when using IMR4350 and a 165gr bullet and still keep 3 shots under .75" all day long. The general observation among "X" guns owns is the 30-06 likes 165s and 180s better than 150s.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
dmsbandit said:
I think if you move up to a 165gr bullet, you might find more success. You are basically shooting 308 ammo in your 30-06.
And there is a problem with this? I think not. Lots of deer have been killed with 308's and the trajectory of the 150 gr at 2730 should be adequate to 300 yards. It probably also reduced the recoil a bit making it more pleasant to shoot, and easier to shoot more accurately. That's one of the nice things about the 30-06, it's very versatile. You can load it up to max (I shoot 150 gr Noslers at 3025 fps), or load it down to 300 Savage velocities very easily. I'd shoot what is accurate.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
LJLKRL said:
... load for my son's XL7 '06.
Halwg said:
... It probably also reduced the recoil a bit making it more pleasant to shoot, and easier to shoot more accurately.
I suppose other questions we could ask are: How big is your Son? How old is your Son? How long has your Son been shooting? How recoil sensitive is he?

As an example, my Son is 6' 4", 240 Lbs, and 22-years old. He is physically capable of handling a lot of recoil, and though he has been shooting centerfires for 12 years or so, he is still sensitive to recoil. He does well on his first or second shot, but depending on the rifle and the load (i.e. the .444 or .45-70 with heavy loads, as an example) he starts to flinch by the third round. He does better with a .30-06 loaded normally, and better still when those loads are on the tame side - similar to what you are loading. Every person is different - - load some of them up and see how your Son does with them. Either way, 150's at 2,730 fps or 165's up in the 2,800 fps neighborhood will be plenty enough to whack a deer. Load what your Son shoots the best and smile while sharpeng the skinning knife. ;) ;D

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have always found that a large person CANNOT handle recoil as well as a lighter person.

A willow will bend in the wind-----an oak will snap!

It's like catching a baseball---If your hand is against a wall with no where to go, IT WILL HURT!

If your hand can move and ride the impact a little, IT WILL HURT ALOT LESS!

Hip

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is about 5' 11" and 200 lbs so he is as big as an adult.
I wanted a load that was accurate and did not kick as hard as the 165 grain loads, and I was having a hard time finding an accurate load (an inch at 100 yards) with the 165 grain nosler accubonds I started load development with because most paople say their '06's like 165 grain bullets.

I see no reason to shoot 180 grain bullets at white tailed deer.

I shoot 140 grain accubonds at 3050 fps in my .270 and they kill deer just fine. I doubt if the 150 grain sierra game king 30 cal bullets will do any worse or better. It's all about bullet placement, so I opted for accuracy instead of trying to max out the speed and it settled in about 2730 fps.

This gun likes this load with 150 grain bullets. I have no doubt with a little more time and money invested in powder and 165 grain bullets I can find a load it likes with them too, and I will probably do so, but hunting season is approaching and I am glad I finally found an accurate dependable load for his gun.

We went to the range today and he sighted it in and shot the best he has ever done with this gun. He is happy and now is confident he can hit a deer with it where he needs to hit it.

That was my goal, to give him a good accurate load that did not hurt too much to shoot and that he could be comfortable with when the time comes.

I consider this a mission accomplished.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts