Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went 22 hunting today no luck so I got to looking at re-loading supplies and after an hour of staring and wandering back and fourth I picked up a set.
I got the Lee breech lock challenger kit. I figured this would be the simplest and cheapest way to get into this very expensive hobby I decided to get into.
While I was there I also got a full set of Lee shell holders for the press.
Then went by and got a cheap digital scale from harbor freight I figured I could easily test the accuracy by weighing bullets and see if it comes up the same weight.
Probably going to hear from some they do not like this setup but I figured I am a rookie so oh well.
Got my calipers and other stuff sitting here from last weeks journey so I am about ready to get started.
By the way thanks to those I have been stalking on here for your opinions been looking at few peoples post repeatedly for some time now.
MBW

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now if I was smart enough to buy case prep stuff first I would be going already forgot to mention that.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats MBW! Whatever you get is a good start! You'll upgrade as you go and as you 'need' so no worries on your choice of products to start with! It's all a win win....most of us just have "preferences" but we've also been at it for a while.
Thanks mazer now I will post pictures as I get my bench built and setup as is required by law here I think.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which "prep" stuff do you need? What calibers are you loading for?
Case cleaners and tumblers I got my die set for my 35 already (thanks Sweetwater) just need to get that going to clean the brass I guess and will be on my way.
Well for one caliber anyway I figured I would start with the least common ammo and go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Sounds good, yep a tumbler is good to have to clean the brass, since the .35Rem is a "necked" round you should consider a case trimmer as well...necked rounds "stretch" as you shoot them. OH, those dies are "steel" as well, so you'll need some case lube as well! Don't use the dies without the lube!

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good, yep a tumbler is good to have to clean the brass, since the .35Rem is a "necked" round you should consider a case trimmer as well...necked rounds "stretch" as you shoot them.
Luckily the case trimmer came with the set. That is why I decided to jump in. Best part of that hour looking and staring was doing math in my head.
So now I have got everything kind of and a headache from doing math.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a reloaing manual? That is the most critical piece of it all!
Yep I got the Hornady 9th edition I figured as those are the best and sometimes only bullets available for the 35 I would go with it.
Still looking around for a Lyman 45th edition as my stalking research has indicated it is one of the best.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Luckily the case trimmer came with the set. That is why I decided to jump in. Best part of that hour looking and staring was doing math in my head.
So now I have got everything kind of and a headache from doing math.
Where did you buy your Lee kit at if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got it at BassPro so not the best of help but they price match so I got it and the shell holders for what the kit would have cost almost.
About 170 with taxes for all. Not to bad I think

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just did a quick test on my cheapy digital scale from harbor freight and it is dead nuts on for weighing my bullets so I guess that is a good thing.
Ha for 12 bucks too I was going to go back and spend 50 for a so called cheap Hornady one but now I do not think I will as long as my Lee scale and this come up spades I am golden.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
RE: electronic scales. I and other reloaders that I know found that electronic scales work the best when protected from air currents and thoroughly allowed to warm up prior to use. On my electronic scale, exhaling on the platen or not letting it to thoroughly warm up will give different readings.

As far as checking the scale with a bullet, how do you know the bullet is dead-nuts-on its stated weight? Variations can and do occur. A set of check weights is economical insurance that you scale -- either electronics or balance -- is working properly. RCBS and Lyman offer check weights for 'bout US$25.00-30.00.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Yep I have a box of hornady bullets that are all over the place. Not even good for plinkers. I started the same. Still running my Lee breach lock press. Its not heavy or high end but my Sinclair concentricity checker says my stuff is darned straight. That's all I shoot for. Think i saw a recommendation to use it on the collet dies because it lacks a strong break over feature. Not sure if that's a sales line or not but it works well for me. My best addition lately is my redding powder measure.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RE: electronic scales. I and other reloaders that I know found that electronic scales work the best when protected from air currents and thoroughly allowed to warm up prior to use. On my electronic scale, exhaling on the platen or not letting it to thoroughly warm up will give different readings.

As far as checking the scale with a bullet, how do you know the bullet is dead-nuts-on its stated weight? Variations can and do occur. A set of check weights is economical insurance that you scale -- either electronics or balance -- is working properly. RCBS and Lyman offer check weights for 'bout US$25.00-30.00.

I have gotten a variance of 1-2 grains pretty even across the board on two different weights and design of bullets
I have some 180 grain cast gas checked and some 200 interlock round nose. Now the standard variation I have been researching is 1-2 grains of variance of the hornady bullets so it is showing within the tolerances I have found searching the web.
I do concede that a set of check weights will be in my future but for now I have just researched the variance and found it to be within those specs.
Now then I also have a powder scale for my kit which when measured across two different scales from to different makers if it brings the same weight readings it should be deduced that either two different makers have the exact same difference in weight variations or they are correct readings,
Considering one is a beam type scale and one is a digital scale I would figure that would be very unlikely.
I will also not be going with max loads or hot loads as this will never be in my future of re-loading I am looking to do a middle road Hunting and Target load only no super duper risk blowing my face off loads.
But I thank you for your interest though.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Just did a quick test on my cheapy digital scale from harbor freight and it is dead nuts on for weighing my bullets so I guess that is a good thing.
Ha for 12 bucks too I was going to go back and spend 50 for a so called cheap Hornady one but now I do not think I will as long as my Lee scale and this come up spades I am golden.
Most cheap scales will not do tenth of grains, and you need that, a cheap RCBS 505 will work great and will not break the bank.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most cheap scales will not do tenth of grains, and you need that, a cheap RCBS 505 will work great and will not break the bank.
I do actually plan on expanding my capabilities with better scales in the future but for now I am short on funds to do this.
So figured the best way was the lee factory scale provided to me with an economical scale as a checks and balances thing or vice versa.
I know I will get variations in weight slightly and that is why I decided to not go to max on loads.
Figuring better safe than sorry.
Also not looking to take the hair off a gnats behind at a 100 yards just looking to get a good group that when hunting will if I do my part equal meat on the table.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Congrats to you MBW on entering the Realm of Reloading!!! It's truly a fun adventure .. I just got done loading a few now to try in my "new to me" 1894CL 25~20... Hopefully gonna give her a whirl in about an hour or so.

Enjoy and Most of all BE SAFE!!!!

BloodGroove4570

1 - 20 of 59 Posts