Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last week I posted about my choice between a 7mm Chilean and an 8mm yugo. I met up with the guy today and looked em both over pretty good. He was a real straight shooter, pointing out how he had cleaned em up, plus how to view the rifling (I've shot one bolt action in my whole life) Both had great rifling, but the yugo didn't seem to fit as well into the stock and the action wasn't as clean. So I turned to the chilean, and holy cow, the action was smooth, it was lively and unless I'm mistaken its one that ***** on opening. It's still got the irons on it and seems to be in great shape considering its age. For 200 I think I did pretty good! I've gotta get it drilled and tapped for a scope, I fully intend on turning this into a medium range hunting rifle. Heck I'd have paid more for a cheap bolt action from a modern producer, and it wouldn't have near the character and history (cough remington cough). I'll try to post pics soon.

Out of curiosity, does anyone recommend where to find stripper clips? Or any work I should consider having done to it?

Reactions: Bronco Archer

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like a good price to me. I looked at on a while back and the guy wanted more than that and don't think it was as in good shape. I think you'll enjoy it. The 7x57 is on my short list. Great, classic round.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
They aren't hard to load one at a time. Congrats I have a soft spot for the old mausers. Easy to see the superior design when dang near every bolt action today is just a variation of the original. Rugers are pretty much still about 99% mauser. Let us know how it shoots. Give us a pic too!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm pretty sure it takes the same clips as the Spanish mauser. Great choice. I would recommend having a competent gunsmith look it over just to make sure its safe. I wouldn't recommend sporterizing it if its in good shape, but they make great hunting rifles. From a hunter's point of view, sporterize it, but from a collectors point of view keep it pristine. If you are me get two of the same! Just my two cents

Reactions: Green Lizzard

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well trapper, sadly it is already a sporter. Which is a shame considering the shape it's in. There's no rust, and only a small bit of tool marking behind the front sight. That and matching #s makes me wish it had it's old stock. But I'd rather finish gracefully converting it into a hunting rifle than restore it now. I was elated to find out the barrel was already floated, so all I have to do is get it drilled an tapped! Will I need to swap out the safety to make it work with a scope? Or can I just use high rings? The bolt is already bent.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
MJA,
You'll Need to Get a Low Mount Safety for It.
You can get one thru Brownell's or Midway.
When you Get it D&T, Be Sure to put a Quality One Peice Steel Base on It.
A Leopold or Redfield is What I'd Use w/ a Set of Matching Steel Rings.
I Have the Perfect Scope for it If you're Interested.
How about a Weaver Steel Tube 3-9X40 ?
I Have it Listed in the "Optics for Sale" Section, Here on M.O.
Only Other thing I'd Do is Maybe Switch Out the Trigger for a Timney w/ Safety.
Great Choice By the way & Congrats.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
916 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Congratulations on your Mauser rifle. Hope you will post some pictures.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well trapper, sadly it is already a sporter. Which is a shame considering the shape it's in. There's no rust, and only a small bit of tool marking behind the front sight. That and matching #s makes me wish it had it's old stock. But I'd rather finish gracefully converting it into a hunting rifle than restore it now. I was elated to find out the barrel was already floated, so all I have to do is get it drilled an tapped! Will I need to swap out the safety to make it work with a scope? Or can I just use high rings? The bolt is already bent.
. Since its already sporterized I would get one of those nifty model 70 style safeties for it

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trapper do you have a link to em? I'm not sure if I want a safety on the back of the bolt or a trigger some of the timneys have

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Looks good to me. My buddy toted a old sporterized chili mauser around behind his truck seat for many a mile and he could shoot it good also. He had many guns but he always talks about the Chili.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Iffn Ya Want a Winchester Style Swing Safety, They're Expensive.
Check w/ American Rifle Works, Dakota Arms, Dayton Traister, Gentry Custom LLC
You May Have to have one Made for It. Don't Think I've Ever Seen one for a Small Ring Mauser.
They're Readily Available for the Large Ring Mausers (Midway/Brownell's)
You Might Also Want to Try at Numrich or Sarco & Try to Find an Old Commercial Mauser Swing Safety.
Good Luck,
US58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
MJ,
I May Have one of those Low Mount Safeties in my Old Parts Box.
If I Can Find it, Want me to Send it with the Weaver Scope?
I Have No Use 4 It & You're Welcome to it.
US58

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That'd be pretty swell of you if you don't mind sarge! What a guy!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
No Problem I'll Look 4 It Tonight.
With the Safety Mod & the Weaver K4 You're Gonna Have One Sweet Lil' Mauser.
US58

·
Registered
805 Posts
Congratulations on your new mauser! Make sure and post a range report when you get a chance.

Keith

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.