Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reeder Custom in 475 Linebaugh. I'm pretty excited.

Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Nice SA and you got enough barrel to be practical. I've had a couple custom Rugers in 454. They came from the same clic of guys. Barrels short as they could go and still have ejector assembly. That made them useless here in Ohio as we have 5" minimum to be legal to hunt with. To me, it seems the bigger the bore the bigger the boom. It's 357's and 30 carbine pistols that put out that nasty crack that hurts my ears.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The barrel is 6" from the cylinder face to the tip. Lots of 475 guys really like that cart in a 5-6" barrel. I don't like my revolvers much longer than 6" unless it's a special purpose kind of thing. More powder means a bigger boom no matter how you slice it. I bought the gun more than I bought a caliber. And it is a great gun. Slim Stag Grips, Two-Toned, Free Spin Cylinder, deep cut crown, quick change front sight, light trigger, balanced. Just a great piece of hardware. I've always liked the 475, too. But I like the 480 better. Since I'm rolling my own, I plan to keep velocities somewhere around top 480 performance or a little less. I might save "some" recoil and noise downloading the larger case. I've shot some factory 325's in a 480 Blackhawk. Felt a like a little stronger than hot 240's in a 44 mag. With 400 gr bullets and heavier, I want to keep things around the 1100 fps to 1200 fps mark. I'm starting with 340's. Looking to work up a 1200 fps load and something hotter, but not top end.

In the end, I think of the 475 as whatever you make it. It can be too much or no more than a 45 LC. I make that decision on the loading bench.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I found full power 454 with 300gr cast uncomfortable for me. The 270gr wasn't bad. I never shot Jacketed in either one. I only have one revolver a Ruger SBH that I shoot jacketed magnum loads. I've got several S&Ws that shoot nothing but cast and mostly wadcutters.

I have taken several deer at less than 1000fps with cast and one with M25 45Colt with wadcutter at 750fps. Wouldn't do that purposely but took the wrong case with wrong gun & ammo. At 30yds it doesn't make much difference.

·
Premium Member
16,822 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found full power 454 with 300gr cast uncomfortable for me. The 270gr wasn't bad. I never shot Jacketed in either one. I only have one revolver a Ruger SBH that I shoot jacketed magnum loads. I've got several S&Ws that shoot nothing but cast and mostly wadcutters.

I have taken several deer at less than 1000fps with cast and one with M25 45Colt with wadcutter at 750fps. Wouldn't do that purposely but took the wrong case with wrong gun & ammo. At 30yds it doesn't make much difference.
I, also, find the recoil of the 454 a bit much. I have a friend with a 454 SRH with the long barrel. Its the only 454 gun I could shoot well. Not knocking the 454. It just ain't for me. After shooting the 480, I knew I had found something I could like. Likely I will never shoot full power 475s,.. well maybe a few to say that I did...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I can start shopping for the 336 XLR to customize that on my bucket list next. I gotta start collecting aluminum cans all over again now..

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Awesome looking revolver, congratulations.

·
Premium Member
18,178 Posts
It's always nice to find the right combination of gun and cartridge that works best for your needs, and it sounds like you've done just that. Not too much but plenty of useful power in a package that looks great and feels good in the hand. I'm betting there is a really nice holster in the works, or there will be soon. Feel free to share your load data in the reloading section, I doubt you're the only guy with one of those big-bullet blasters! :bandit:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's always nice to find the right combination of gun and cartridge that works best for your needs, and it sounds like you've done just that. Not too much but plenty of useful power in a package that looks great and feels good in the hand. I'm betting there is a really nice holster in the works, or there will be soon. Feel free to share your load data in the reloading section, I doubt you're the only guy with one of those big-bullet blasters! :bandit:
Yea, I'm shopping for leather. Have seen a few that I like. Got my first loads worked up now. Bottom of the chart H110 loads. I was out of 4227, which is what I planned to use. I'll post as I find things that are working out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine's got a little engraving but I wouldn't call it fancy. Other that the engraving and the grip its all matte finished and meant to get dirty.

Eastback, those are slick. I like that ivory color handle on that iron. Sharp like Sunday's best. I have a tapered model 64 that would look good dressed like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.