Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A bit of back story on my hunt for a rifle.
Since I started shooting I considered the BDL 700 to be the most attractive stock rifle you could get. About a decade ago I was offered a BDL in .270 from a shooting mentor of mine when he fell ill, however I moved away and his son sold it before I could purchase it.
Since then I've looked for them and they either come when I have no cash or are priced just above my price range.
So about a month ago I walk into my favorite shop and spot a used BDL in 30-06, I already shoot 30-06 so it's perfect, priced at 599. I handle it but don't have the cash and the over time hours haven't been easy to find recently so I head out. I keep checking over the following weeks that its still there, making call talk and buying ammo.
So last Friday I get an email from Armslist, a guy wants to trade for my 30-06 marlin that I'd listed a couple months back and forgotten about; his kid found his pistol and his wife gave him the choice of get rid of the pistol or else. so he trades me his new Glock 26 with extra magazine and holster for my rifle I paid 350 for. I already have a carry Glock so I pop this pistol on arms list and sell it the next day. Waltz into the shop and tell them Im putting the Remington on layaway. The clerk laughs and says she's seen me pick that gun up for the past month and wondered when I would take it home. The shop owner tells me he'll take some money off of the list price since I'm a regular. He asks how much I'm putting down and I tell him $450. he looks at me, crumples the layaway tag up and says "You owe me 30 bucks next time your in, go shoot it this weekend"
I didn't get to shoot it yet and I told him today when I payed him the other 30 that I was going to get a correct size recoil pad he offered to get the replacement pad ground by his smith for no charge.

My 1979 BDL 30-06 with a 4-12X weaver Micro-trac on weaver rings.
Rifle Gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Excellent! I've been shooting and hunting with Remington 700 rifles since the early 1970's. Typically quite accurate and dependable.

My 30-06 Rem 700 is likely the best all-around hunting rifle I've ever owned.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
10,565 Posts
over the decades I have had many 700s mostly BDL in about every caliber you can think of except 270, that I do not care for "just me" the longest shot I ever made was with a BDL in 6mm rem. in 1980 a handload at 488 long steps so late all I could see was the outline of the deer in a 4X Bushnell banner scope. they are very fine guns in my estimation ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Good for you! The rifle will be enjoyed like it was meant to be... congrats!!

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
That's a happy story, Longbow, thanks for sharing it. Handsome shootin' iron!

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
The older 700 BDL's were much better than the new ones. I retrofitted all of mine with Timney target triggers so that took care of the recalls they had and I now have very good adjustable triggers on all of them. I also have a few older Police Sniper Specials LE rifles with the heavy bull barrels and 5R rifling. They are all 1 MOA rifles. The new stuff is junk.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 700 ADL was made in 1964. It's a very good shooter with just about any ammo I feed it. It's a 30/06 and has a 20 inch barrel, the following year they went with 22 inch.

·
Registered
21,220 Posts
Congrats on your 'new to you' rifle Longbow! I remember as a kid, lookin' through my dad's gun/huntin' magazines and dreamin' I was the guy in the ad, wearin' the red woolrich jacket, hunting mulies in those cold/foggy mountains of the west with "MY" trusty bolt action model 700! As a kid, to me, the model 700 in 30-06 was THEE epitome of what a true hunting rifle was! Never owned one (I have owned several other bolt action rifles) and over the years my opinion has changed several times as to what a "true" huntin' rifle should be, but I still hold the model 700 high on the list even if it's just from a point of nostalgia!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.