Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the long way home from Atlantic City through PA to visit my favorite gun shop and finally the stars came together. They had a very nice 1998 444SS and I had the cash in my pocket. The piece wasn't even on display. I was looking at the few lever actions they had to offer and was getting ready to leave when I asked if they'd had any 444's in recently. The owner said that one had come in the day before in trade and hadn't even been put on the floor yet. I asked if I could see it and the rest is history.
image.jpg

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
Sweet! Hey sometimes it just better to be lucky rather than being good. Yeah never hurts to ask, heck the worst they can say is no. Congrats.:congrats:

·
Premium Member
15,451 Posts
nice rifle, congrats

Reactions: CoalBuster

·
Registered
450 Posts
Timing is everything. Congrats and let us know how she shoots.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you don't ask you don't get....

congrats on a great find.

Ken

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Congrats on finding the elusive 444 Marlin and welcome to the club. You will enjoy shootin it. Good move asking if they had that sweet rifle in back, She was meant to be yours.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Congrats on The new Modern Big Bore.........Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Beautiful rifle, congrats!

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
Took the long way home from Atlantic City through PA to visit my favorite gun shop and finally the stars came together. They had a very nice 1998 444SS and I had the cash in my pocket. The piece wasn't even on display. I was looking at the few lever actions they had to offer and was getting ready to leave when I asked if they'd had any 444's in recently. The owner said that one had come in the day before in trade and hadn't even been put on the floor yet. I asked if I could see it and the rest is history.
View attachment 104572
1998 was the year Marlin® transitioned from Microgroove™ rifling having 12 lands and grooves and a 1:38" twist; to Ballard Rifling with 6 lands and grooves and a 1:20" twist. Is your gun Microgroove™ or Ballard rifled?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1998 was the year Marlin® transitioned from Microgroove™ rifling having 12 lands and grooves and a 1:38" twist; to Ballard Rifling with 6 lands and grooves and a 1:20" twist. Is your gun Microgroove™ or Ballard rifled?
It's a microgroove barrel. Which is okay as I already cast for my microgroove .35 Marlin.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats, nice rifle! Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Congrats on picking it up you will love that rifle!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts