Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally was able to score a 336 30-30 off of Gun Broker to go with the .35 I have. It's a 1988 336CS that has been unfired and comes with the box and all paperwork. There is one small ding on the side of the forearm where the owner said a screw poked through the box, but the mark is barely noticeable. Otherwise the rest of the gun is pristine. I paid $438/shipped for it which is a little more than I was hoping to pay, but after striking out at all the other auctions and the last seven gunshows for one in as nice of shape for a cheaper price I just decided to bite the bullet and get this one. I can't believe how much these have went up in the last year, this time last year they were all over for under $400 but I was too stupid to pick one up since I was focusing on the big bores. Since I haven't got the gun yet here are a few pictures I pulled off the auction, hopefully it is as nice in person as the photos.
pix676880637.jpg pix840495258.jpg pix419612817.jpg pix917651797.jpg pix384155569.jpg

In a way I even hate to put a round through the gun and just keep it unfired, but I always said I'd never own a gun that I did intend to shoot so it will be used.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
For a 20+ yr. old rifle that one looks extra fine..........don't feel bad at that price, I say you did good :shot:

Reactions: graymustang

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just can't believe how the prices on these are lately. Last year I passed on quite a few locally for under $400, but I don't see those anymore. The last few I've seen at shows or in for sale adds were pushing $400 and the guns were well used. Just last week I tried to buy one on GB that was almost as nice and it ended up going for $690:hmmmm:. I keep hearing/reading about people buying them for $350 or less but I'm just not seeing them around here.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Congrats that is a nice lookin rifle!!!!

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Congrats and enjoy it...looks good!!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Very Nice Rifle.
US58

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You might want to rethink keeping the rifle in the box un-fired and be patient for a local Marlin 336 in 30-30 for under $350.00 We all agree the prices on Gunbroker have skyrocketed in the last 2 years with demand and $$ increasing on the quality 336's. Even now 30-30 bullets are hard to come by, 30-30 brass even worse and what 30-30 ammo!!!

I am wondering if having a "JM" stamped Marlin is creating this craze and the demand?? I am wondering if these Marlin buyers have realized the lever action rifle is a back up survival rifle for the crap hits the fan scenario?? The Winchester 1873 was the first american "Assault" rifle, the lever action works for that purpose today as it did 140 years ago.

Chocdog

·
Registered
391 Posts
You did real good! $438.00 shipped is not out of line. The gun show dealers used gun tables have been trying to sell old beaters for more than what you paid for an unfired rifle.

Congrats on a great purchase. Let us know how she shoots.

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
:congrats:SWEEEEEET!! Ya done real Good there!:beer:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Congrats on a great rifle, the 30-30 is a joy to shoot! In a few years you'll be wishing to find one for what you payed for that, so don't feel bad at all!

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
Congrats on a nice rifle at a good price.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
The Marlin 336 is a well made weapon. Should give you many years of service if you do your part.
May take some time and money to find out what type of ammo it likes. Just part of the process though.

Enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think you got a great deal. I would pay that for a 1988 in that condition. I know I can buy a new one cheaper at Wallyworld, but I would pay the difference any day for the rifle you got.
Plus one on the above quote

I just can't believe how the prices on these are lately. Last year I passed on quite a few locally for under $400, but I don't see those anymore. The last few I've seen at shows or in for sale adds were pushing $400 and the guns were well used. Just last week I tried to buy one on GB that was almost as nice and it ended up going for $690:hmmmm:. I keep hearing/reading about people buying them for $350 or less but I'm just not seeing them around here.
I would pay $400 for NIB rather than holding out for the $350 bargains you may never find. I'd spend the $50 just so I could get on to the next quest! Now if you were talking $100-$300 more, I'd still be on the prowl.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Congratulations! Ya got a nice lookin' rifle!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats, nice looking rifle. Enjoy...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Good deal. Enjoy. Price wise, would not an unpolished, plywood stocked W cost that much after taxes at Wally World. You are miles ahead of a new Remlin.

Reactions: crow killer
1 - 20 of 22 Posts