Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this 336D since January and have been working on finding a load that shot out of it. I started with the Speer 180 gr bullets I had a box on hand that a friend gave me. I had used H335, IMR 4064, RL-7 the group sizes were 3-10 inches at 100 yards. the only thing that was consistant was it shot like crap. So I shot up the 180 supply and never looked back. then I went to my Rem 200 gr RN supply. The results were not much better with H335, IMR 4064, RL-7, H4198, the group sizes ran 2-8 inches. Then I tried the AA powders. The AA2520 and AA2015BR have shot great. Sifting over the data tonight I think I will go with the AA2015BR. Every single time I ran the loads of it the magic spot was 35.0 grains, under 1/2 inch and nearly one hole. Five times and the same results. there are some other loads of both the 2015 and 2520 that shot well, but this was the best. As far as the velocity it will not be the top, but by far the most accurate. This rifle was a frustrating game, but I knew it had to shoot. My friend told me back in March I should send it back to Marlin, but I wouldnt listen. Sometimes it pays to be persistant. Wish I would have tried the 2015BR first :roll: Now it is going to be a tough choice for deer season.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Big Medicine
Thanks for the hard work. Having recently joined the group of 336D owners I have been looking for pet loads for the short barreled beauty. Just to keep it clear in my mind that was 200 gr Remington RNSP bullets and 35.0 grains of the 2015BR. Was the OAL used to factory spec. I just received my Chrony F! Master and plan to hit the range tomorrow if my truck gets out of the dealer today. I have 2-336CS, 1-336D and 1-444 to bang in, better get the tylenol handy.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ya finally shot it huh.....good...have not shot mine yet! She sit's in the dark in my safe....

From the sound of your trial and tribulation's I may not; not much time to reload.

What about Rem factory 200 grainers do yo know how they track for accuracy in your rifle?

Most of what I've read so far is stay away for light bullets in this caliber, stick with 200 grainers.

At this time I'm not sure I'm gonna every fire it...found me an as new Rem 7600 in 35 rem and I'm kinda excited to try Rem before the Marlin.

If I did not have one model of each in Marlin's ported versions I'd probably put this 336D back on the market...

G

·
Mike,

Hope you got my e-mail on the data I sent you.I would try the H4895 in that D, I think it likes that powder with the 200 Rem core-lokt. I would go right about the max in Hodgdons which is 38 gr with WW LR primer.

sprest22

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ditto the H4895 in the .35Rem. My favorite powder for the .35Rem.

I started at 36.5, and then went to 38.5. I then edged upward to 40.0gr for 2,275fps. Accuracy was best at 38.5 which is a trend I have found with all of Hodgdons data. Their max is usually where they found best accuracy and not neccessarily the cart/rifles max working loads. This was true in my experience with .257Roberts, .30/06, 7mm-08, 7mm RemMag., and others. The pressure of the 40.0gr of H4895 closely duplicates the working pressure of factory .30/30 loads which is 38,500-40,000cup. At the 38.5gr loads, I was getting slight set back on the primers-to-bolt face with full-length sized brass. At 40.0gr I no longer get this.

Be sure to use your own discretion in going over book maximums.

For best accuracy, I found BL-C2 at the Hodgdon listed max to be most accurate in the .35Rem, and gives factory velocity- 2,050-2,075fps.

I tried seating the 200gr RN-CorLokt out, but quickly found out Remingtons secret for the suprising accuracy of the old .35, especially in Bolt actions. Seated to, and crimped into the front of the cannulure, there is only about .035-.050" gap from the bearing surface of the bullet to the lead of the throat. Very small for a factory rifle!

So, I just seat and crimp to groove with Lee factory crimp die for the .35Rem with 200gr Cor-Lokt bullet.

I too have gotten very poor results with the Speer 180gr FN. Accuracy runs 3-5" at 100yds, and of the two deer I've shot with it, I still haven't recoved one (lung shots with poor blood trail- however, I now have a trained "Fiest" -small squirrel dog- that will blood trail, she has already recovered a doe I shot two weeks ago with bow that left poor blood trail!)
I found the Remington 180gr HP pistol bullet to be superior to the Speer bullet in the .35Rem. The Speer 180 and 220 are too toughly constructed for the lower velocities of the .35Rem for use on smaller whitetail deer, IMO.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Custom Rodsmith,
The bullet was seated to the canular. I will have to get back out and run them over the chronograph to see what the MV is. I dont bother with any of that stuff until I find a load that shoots. I figure it doesnt matter what the MV is if the load doesnt shoot.

Gunpowder,
I cant believe you have not shot it yet. As far as the factory ammo goes, I have no idea how it would shoot out of it. I have not bought factory ammo for a center fire in over 20 years.

G

·
In my 336D used the following powder charges:39.5grs IMR4064 ;40.5grs IMR4320 ;36grs IMR3031. These three loads worked well with Sierra's 200gr and the Remington 200gr RN Core-Lokt. In my 336SC I load 13grs SR4756 and cast the RCBS 200gr GC bullet from wheelweights.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here is the data for 336D load. 200 gr Rem RN with 35.0 gr AA2015BR and CCI 200 primer.
Average MV 1995 FPS
ES: 10.6 FPS
SD: 5.4
AD:4.0

I wa real happy with the 1995 FPS, I really thought it would be a little less given the 18.5 inch barrel. Now.........to shoot a deer!

G

·
Although I've never used it on a deer ,that 200gr RN REM Core-Lokt ,is supposed to have a good rep on deer and blackies !

·
Registered
137 Posts
I load in my 336D 42.0 gr 3031/180 Speer FN and crimp it good with a Leee FC die. Very accurate and lethal on deer out to 200 yds. PaRR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts