Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a Ruger MKII with a tapered 6 7/8 barrel for a while. In the past I had both MKII and MKIII Target models. The blued MKII Target was foolishly traded off and later replaced with a stainless MKIII Target that was quickly sold because it had a terrible trigger and added safety crap such as the magazine safety and loaded round indicator just turned me off.

So, a few days ago I added this nice little gem to my stabe. It's an older MKII that is like new.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Nice lookin rigs you guys have...

I've been considering getting a slabside now for awhile. I've heard that they are a nightmare to breakdown for cleaning?.? Is that a fact or Hogwash??

What Slabside would you guys recommend, as in Gen? MK MKII MKIII? I'm not up on the latest information about these guns....

Enjoy your new pistol, and let us know how she shoots....

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
great pistol, I have a stainless bull barrel MK-II, they are excellent shooters.
congrats

·
Registered
969 Posts

I've been considering getting a slabside now for awhile. I've heard that they are a nightmare to breakdown for cleaning?.? Is that a fact or Hogwash??

What Slabside would you guys recommend, as in Gen? MK MKII MKIII? I'm not up on the latest information about these guns....

BloodGroove4570
Get the Mk II. Extremely accurate and no "junk" added. As far as breaking them down for cleaning, that isn't the problem. It's getting them back together. That'll test your patience.... and your vocabulary as well.

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My picture didn't really do this Ruger justice. The rear sight looks rusty but it's not. I can't wait to get this and my recently purchased S&W 17-3 to the range. I also need to get a decent holster for the MKII.

Does anyone here have this holster?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Nice find! I just picked up my first Ruger Mk x pistol a few weeks ago. It's a. MkIII 22/45 Lite. The magazine safety bothered me a great deal, so I removed it and installed a different bushing. It now functions like a pistol should: mags drop free, tactile 'click' when a mag seats, and no feed failures from a not-quite-seated magazine...not to mention no longer having to inster/remove the magazine several times when breaking it down/putting it back together.

Was a $12 part, and only required 3 hands and 30 minutes of cussing to install...but well worth it!

Reassembly is...well...it's not intuitive but is really not that hard once you understand how all the parts work together. I definitely relied on google the first time!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
My picture didn't really do this Ruger justice. The rear sight looks rusty but it's not. I can't wait to get this and my recently purchased S&W 17-3 to the range. I also need to get a decent holster for the MKII.

Does anyone here have this holster?
I have two different holsters for mine.
I found a very nic triple k leather holster made just for my hunter model.
I also had the same as yours.problem was the snap on the mag strap pulled out after only a few uses.
My father in law has done some leather work and replaced the snaps.
Other than that, it was fine.I think I paid $40 or so from
Sportsman guide magazine.

·
Registered
33 Posts

BloodGroove4570
I prefer the MKII's as they don't have the LCI or the magazine disconnect. If you can find one in good shape for a good price that would be the way to go IMO.

That said, the MKIII's are not all that bad. You can get a filler for the LCI and swap out the magazine disconnect.

For both the MKII and MKIII the trigger is not the greatest, and the trigger on my MKIII hunter does not always reset properly for some reason.

For cleaning, I probably disassemble mine once every 500-1000 rounds or so for a detailed cleaning, otherwise I just run a couple of patches down the bore with an Otis kit.

Taking them apart and putting them back together again really is not all that difficult. It's tricky, but you just need to have patience and pay attention. If the monkey sitting behind this keyboard can do it anyone can.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I like the mkII better. My mkIII always has feed issues with soft hollowpoint ammo. It'll shoot CCIs all day long, but let a cheap walmart bullet get in there and it will hang up in the end of the feed ramp.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
In order to function a certain amount of energy is consumed by the loaded chamber indicator during chambering. I'm sure Ruger engineered it as well as their budget allowed under direction of corporate bean counters acting at the behest of lawyers' advice. As stated earlier in the thread, get a MK II with, "no junk added". I believe that the MK II is the Apex of Ruger .22 auto pistols. Every other iteration is below the summit. The exception is if you want one with 'slab sides', scope rails, or other features not found on MKIIs. AC

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
mk2 s is all i have .. yes .. not bad to re assemble once you've done it a few times .. utube is your friend.
my favorite pistol of all time is my old 4" standard mk2 ..i cannot miss with it.. I've actually pointed it in the Opposite direction ! and still hit my mark !
it's one amazingly awsome pistol !

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have an old Mark ll I purchased new about twenty years ago. It is the exact twin of the tapered target model pictured at the beginning of this thread. I cannot even begin to guess how many thousands of rounds of ammo I have run through it over the years and it still functions perfectly and is still accurate. I installed a set of walnut thumb target stocks on it and carry it in a bianchi holster made specifically for that pistol and barrel length. It has a groove built into it to accommodate the tall front sight. The only psitol I ever had that was more accurate was a Smith and Wesson K-22 Masterpiece.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts