Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 long years I finally got drawn for a bull moose tag ;D. I didn't think I'd get a tag for this zone for at least 11 years but happily I was wrong. It's for the early season so it'll be a rut hunt right along with elk. Now the planning starts.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
That is really nice. 8) 8) I have draw twice and I thought they would be easy hunts. Actually the hunts were easy but it is amazing how such a large animal can hide when they don't want to be seen. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Great news on your moose, MG!
I finally drew out a cow elk tag on a private ranch for next January, one of those "take your pick of the bunch" wintering places. It's only a 2 day hunt with 100% success. I have yet to draw on moose here, bull or cow. Are you doing a self hunt or going to get you a Outfitter? What weapon are you going to use?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SKmarsh77, I'll be hunting in south western Alberta just north of the Waterton/Glacier park.

Preacher, I'll be doing a self hunt. I'd like to take one with my 45/70 but will probably go with my 338 Win mag. The ranges can be rather long where we go, lots of open country and cross canyon shots. But I've seen my fair share of bulls down there that I could throw my rifle at and hit, not holding a tag probably has something to do with that :p. Last year I had a 50" bull come up on the road and run in front of my truck for about 200 yards before he got off and stood in the ditch.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
One year, back in the late '90's, I was cow elk hunting on a private ranch just south of the Utah Border, below Evanston,WY. I would sign in at the gate, come out, drive around via a country road to the back side of the ranch and hunt (instead of driving straight across the ranch to get to the back side)
I hunted for about 3 days until I got my cow. I would see bull & cow moose coming and going to the back, mostly on public land! As I was trying to load my cow into my truck on the side of the county road ( looks more like a logging road!) two moose hunters drove up about then and helped me load her up. They said they had been hunting moose all week and hadn't seen a thing. I told them right where I had been seeing them, and they said they had hunted the entire area, ha. They had tags, I didn't! Ol Murphy...evidently he goes hunting too! ha

·
Registered
445 Posts
Congrats, MG! I am SO jealous! ;D

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
We do require photos and stories.. .. Good Luck I would take both.. use what one you need when you find the critter

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gunjunkie said:
We do require photos and stories.. .. Good Luck I would take both.. use what one you need when you find the critter
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Just received my RD TL460 425 mold this week and I'm going to get a load developed for that bullet and hope I a get a chance to use it.

Just found out my friend got drawn also :)

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
When you and your friend tag out, do you have any Sons, Son In Laws,etc, that can help you get those big Bullwinkles out? Man, they are big to me, and these are the small Shiras! It would take me awhile by myself. In fact, if I had drawn a cow moose tag ( well, "when" I finally draw one) I am hiring an Outfitter,ha. I have only eaten moose twice. Both times, it was very gamey. Reason is one was packed out over about three days up in WY by a local friend. The other was bowshot on a river float trip in Alaska by another. It took them several days to float out. They would hang the meat at night, and keep it covered during the day, but it was pretty warm. It looks just like venison to me, nothing like elk ( a ruminate of course).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Preacher, I have a Nephew who has a strong back and a work ethic that can't be equaled. I've made him a partner on my tag and that will give him incentive to do what needs to be done to get a moose out.

He was with me on my first moose kill about 10 years ago. I arrowed a bull in a cut block 3 miles from camp, we gutted and quartered it and then I told him I'd walk back to camp to get my quad to pack it out with. It took me 2 hours to get back and that kid packed all them quarters to the skid trail by himself without the aid of a pack, approx a quarter mile one way. To say the least I was impressed. Wished I had a picture of him all covered in blood and moose hair and a smile on his face that went from ear to ear.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Sounds like me 30 years ago. ;D ;D ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts