Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a six cavity RD TLC311-165-RF mould several months ago. It has been sitting in my mould bag(gymbag containing moulds, handles, mallet, gloves etc) for what seems like an eternity now. Yesterday, I finally got to use it. The technique that seemed to work best with this mould was, once it was up to temp, to stagger-pour(my word) the cavities. I poured 1,3,5,2,4,6 then switched to the even cavities first. This seemed to produce the best bullets rather than the other patterns I tried. I think it's because it kept the temp of the mould more uniform. I might be wrong in my theory, but it worked very well. The bullets were beautiful. Once again Michael has outdone himself. Kudos

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Hey Jim, the pictures didn't post.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I always go with prime numbers first, then count from the other end, then go east to west, then go north to south. Gotta keep track of which way to shoot them though. ;D

·
Super Moderator
12,191 Posts
Whichever way you cast them, you'll find they shoot well in most 30-30s!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I would think that going through the numbers 1 thru 6 every time would give the mold from front to back/side to side the same amount of heat through out your casting session thus producing the most consistant bullets as far as weight and diameter.

Hip

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I am not surprised, Michael's molds are excellent. You are right though Jimkim with regards to the odds then evens way of casting.It seems to work better for me also.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hipshot said:
I would think that going through the numbers 1 thru 6 every time would give the mold from front to back/side to side the same amount of heat through out your casting session thus producing the most consistant bullets as far as weight and diameter.

Hip
When I tried that, one would be frosted, and one would be wrinkled, sometimes two. The two in the middle seemed to be the most inconsistent. I think my method helped keep the mould temp more even from one end to the other. All I know is it produced very uniform bullets. I'll try to post some pictures as soon as my buddy Glenn(I cast them at his house) emails me a few.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, these were silver the last time I saw them. lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice boolits. I just started casting with a RD TL460 425 this week. Learning curve wasn't so bad, I just cast a pot not caring what they looked like but just learning how to use the mold. Next pot I had about a 50/50 split good vs. no good. By the third pot I was casting more keepers than throw backs. Sure is nice to be able to dump six boolits as apposed to one or two.

·
Registered
356 Posts
How do they shoot?

Why do you think your mold requires you to do this? I don't think you are running it hot enough.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
jimkim,
I can see why you have to do it that way as the frosted bullets are from a too hot mold and the wrinkled ones are from too cold a mold. As you can see the mold has to be an even temp all the way through.

Hip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts