Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it out to the new Davis range in Goshen yesterday. If you are from the area, Goshen is about 1 1/2 hours northwest of NYC you should check it out. Comfortable, clean, fully automated target runouts. Cost is about $25 p/hour which I feel is very reasonable being that it is the only game in town. Took all 4 Marlins and the reloads to play with. As for the reloads, lets just say that I will NOT be taking them into the field this deer season. Still have much to learn and need to get the consistancy down. For example, in the 444 the Hornady 265's were right on at 100. My loads of the 265 hornady bullet with 51.5 gr I4895 were 10" low and the 300 grainers with 52 grains I4895 were right with them in the same "General" area. The grouping was 3-5" on the reloads, 1 1/2" on the hornady. I did some target adjustment to see where the 444 was hitting with the factory hornady's and was a bit surprised to see that at 50 yards they were 1 1/2" low of the 100 yard impact points, 265 gr bullet still rising at 100.....Impressive. Now to the 336's. Had my 2 CS's and the D. Could not wait to play with the D and it was 1st out on the sight vice. First shot was a wakeup! I was in the end booth and the muzzle blast from the ported barrel bounced off the wall and sprayed me in the mush. Got used to that fact and setteled in for 30+ rounds of fun. Great little gun to shoot and is READY for the woods. It did not like the reloads at all spraying them all over the paper. Factory (winchester) 200 grainers it was pretty comfortable with. Once it was on target and cooled down I did some off hand shots to see how it handled, I Like It! Went thru the motions on the 2 CS guns, they didnt like the reloads either, leaves me with the conclusion that the powder measure or the operator in a bag of rats. Could not get the Chrony to work at the remote distance (no light & no indoor aux kit) All in all it was fun and I learned a few things. Ended up spending 2 1/2 hours shooting as the range master was liberal with the clock. Great Place Great People. Give em a visit. I think I may make 1 more trip back to run some different factories thru the D for $hit$ & Giggles.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dude, you had to pay about $50.00 just to shoot for a couple of hours? Wow! Out here we don't have any amenities at the clay pit but it is free. I have not lived in a big city since I was very young sometimes I miss the good stuff of city life...until I go out side.

I have one Question about your reloading set up. Last time I went to shoot my loads didn't do so well. I had a new to me gun to test so I took some loads another gun liked and the gun that liked them. I did this for a base line similar to you using the factory ammo to test against. Both guns shot poorly or maybe I was way out but it seemed more like the guns. Anyway the box from Midway arrived yesterday it had my dies and bullets for .35 Rem. I put together 10 rounds 5 of each charge weight I wanted to try. On three cartridges the bullet entered the neck ever so slightly cocked. On two it was pronounced enough to be visible in the case neck. I traced this to a loose turret for my turret press and a wobbly die. I was using the turret that came with my press and it is showing it's age.

So long winded but if anything like that is happening to you it will effect bullet consistency. A bullet that does not enter the case neck right will stretch the neck almost egg shaped and will still feed. What I noticed is that case necks where the bullet goes in cocked don't have the same tension on the bullet. I guess I'm trying to say that the case neck will be slightly oversized. Even with a good crimp die the bullet 'pull' will be different and can mess with how it shoots.

Just something else to look at along with your powder measure. BTW my test loads were put together using dippers so other than operator error there aren't any adjustment quetions.

I'm a bit jealous about the D though it sounds like a D without ports might be a little more enjoyable to shoot long strings with.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Jst some food for thought on everyday hunting rifle barrels in lever actions:

I'm am perplexed and suspect that most barrels do not reach their accuracy potential before 60 rounds have been fired. My understanding is that factory barrels today can be a bit ruff and need a dedicated break in period.

...just someth'n 2 consider...

G

·
Fishin Pole,

You might try weighing all your loads while you are working them up. You could get enough variation to throw off your results. Say you threw 3 charges that were slightly over, then set up for a half-grain increment and threw 3 that were slightly under, your results would be an average of something in-between.

I usually weigh all my loads anyway, nothing better to do..................

Regards,

Grizz

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just so happens that I just fell into the exact amount that the PACT digital measure and scale goes for. Must be some kind of a fairy gift or something.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so happens that I just fell into the exact amount that the PACT digital measure and scale goes for. Must be some kind of a fairy gift or something.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Custom Rodsmith,

I sure did enjoy your post. Those Hornady Light magnums are hard to beat but you can do it. It sounds as though you had a great time!! Way to go and thanks for sharing.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BMan
Thats right, $50 for 2 1/2 hours and I was thankful to have that opportunity. Some time back on the old MarlinTalk I got beat up for not shooting more before I go afield. Simple truth is that not everybody has the space available to do that kind of shooting without drining 4 hours. If you do be thankful for what ya got. As for my reload setup I have the Lee anniversary press and the lee dies. All are brand new as this was the 1st batch of booits I have made up. I did see some inconsistancies in the OAL but that was most likely due to my playing with the depth set when seating the bullet. I was trying to crimp at the center of the canalure. I also now realize after talking to some others at the range that day that I need to be more attentive at the crimp process and keep the amount of pressure (crimp) consistant I did not notice any of the bullets cocking in the 444 but the 35's went thru a fairly long training period where I worked on empty but FL sized rounds to get things set. Crushed a bunch before I figured it out. Let the die do the work. Cant say that I was paying much attention to the insertion of the 444's but sure will when I get back up to the cabin tomorrow where my set up is located. I am gonna stuff a bunch with weighed loads (variations) and hit the gravel pit on Sunday with the chrony and make some noise. Thanks to all here for the help and encouragement. Its a learning process and that is what makes it fun for me. Plus I get more ammo to shoot. BTW what are you guys payin for the Hornady 265 Lt Mags in 444 in your areas. Here they are $28 a box.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Custom rodsmith,
Hey at least you get to shoot. $50.00 is beter than not shooting at all. I'm lucky my buddy and I have our own little range set up, bench, target baords, steel gong......and a nice bass pond! One of the bennies to living in the sticks. You will find that even after 20+ years of reloading it is still a learning process. Let us know how that 336D shoots.

G

·
Custom Rodsmith said:
BMan
Thats right, $50 for 2 1/2 hours and I was thankful to have that opportunity. Some time back on the old MarlinTalk I got beat up for not shooting more before I go afield. Simple truth is that not everybody has the space available to do that kind of shooting without drining 4 hours. If you do be thankful for what ya got. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I just moved from VA to NE PA about 2 months ago. Found a gunclub twenty minutes from the house at $100 a year (trap,skeet, 5-stand,sporting clays,50yd covered pistol,200yd covered rifle ,archery and muzzleloading).When in VA I belonged to three different clubs and most were $150 a year but all three together didn't have the facilities of this club in PA !!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts