Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been applying for a moose tag in Maine and New Brunswick for 20 years. Finally, after all these years, I was selected for a Maine bull moose tag. I didn't get the best week (the rut) nor the best area for taking a Maine moose but I was grateful for the long-awaited opportunity none-the-less.

We spotted a good bull the night before the hunt and another on the road at 4am as we headed to our sector. It was 22 deg as we started our day and I was highly confident that the freezing weather, calm winds and an opening day for the area would bring me some luck. But as the first day closed I only spotted a cow with her calf before the sun had set.

On the second day as we neared our hunting area a cow jutted out on the dirt road and nearly rammed the side of the truck. We continued along but returned to that area at daybreak hoping that a bull may have still been attending the cow despite the fact that the rut had past. This time luck was on our side as we relocated the cow which was in a clear-cut with two bulls. We let the smaller bull walk as we tried to close the distance on the larger bull. As I approached within 100yds the bull started to walk away and it was now or never.

Hoisting up my 1895SBL I let a 402gr Hammer bullet fly. You could hear the big bullet slap the bull hard but he only walked faster. A second round dropped him at the shot. The bull was dead when I reached him. He took one round in the center of the lungs and another in the shoulder. My 20 year Maine bull moose hunt was finally complete. The bull was officially weighed at the check station and field dressed at 775lbs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Congratulations! A long wait....But worth it. Getting your first moose is pretty special ! 👍 memtb

·
Premium Member
5,929 Posts
Congrats on a successful hunt and a great looking moose!

·
Registered
29,884 Posts
Congrat's! Worth the wait!

ca'jun56

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
Fantastic!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Twenty plus years is about how long I applied for Maine until I just threw up my hands in disgust. I'm glad you hung in there and got your bull. Good job.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Thanks for sharing the story of your hunt!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Success! Congratulations!
Good story for the Happy Ending. I'm glad your wish finally came true!
Nice bull too.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

1 - 20 of 45 Posts