Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Yes, I have done it with every hollow synthetic stock.

Use the adhesive spray insulating foam from any hardware store or home improvement warehouse. Be careful not to overfill! Take into account that the stuff expands a lot!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used an outdoor landscaping-type, black, low-expanding foam that looks much like the foam already in the grip area of the factory stock. It isn't quite as dense, but works good.
Afterward I had thought a polyurethane self-leveling crack sealant would have worked even better as it is much heavier and would likely be much more shock-asbsorbing. You'd likely have to apply it and let cure in layers, but it may be better than foam.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
You can also add weight in the stock to balance the rifle when you add the foam.

One of the best things about filling it, is that it will no longer sound like a snare drum when something hits it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
How do you keep the foam from sticking to the action? Or do you let the foam cure and then hollow it back out where the action goes?

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
You don't have to take the action out of the stock since the hollow butt stock area is closed at the grip but you may want to since it does make it far easier to handle and deal with.

Take the recoil pad off the stock. (Put just a dab of vaseline on the tip of the screwdriver to keep from damaging the pad.)

Mine had a little folded up piece of foam packing material in it so pull that out.

I have used this Great Stuff (Gaps and Cracks) from Home Depot & ChinaMart http://greatstuff.dow.com/?gclid=CIqixoOshacCFchl7AodzlSUeA

Follow the directions on the can. Fill the stock part of the way and let it dry to see how much the stuff expands.

Add any weight to if desired to help balance the stock and add more foam.

Be very careful at the end of the stock don't forget to take into account how much it expands.
You do not want to fill in your recoil pad screw holes or the last 1/2 inch or so of the stock.

Do not use this stuff in the action area of the rifle!!!!! If you wish to stiffen the forearm then there are several ways of doing that but this foam is not one of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ClickClickBoom - your post reads like my play book...that's the process I've followed on several synthetic stocks. Works great, lot less hollow sounding stocks as a result. Homesteader.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I used sand in a zip lock bag when I took the rifle to the range. It really reduced recoil and when I was done, I took the bag out. Now I have a Boyds stock so it is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
mt_sourdough said:
I used sand in a zip lock bag when I took the rifle to the range. It really reduced recoil and when I was done,
cool i like that idea...although maybe something lighter than sand. hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Walnut or corn cob case cleaning media would be lighter. It would change the balance of the rifle, I prefer more weight out towards the muzzle, lets the sights settle down better. To much weight forward, and the rifle seems sluggish, to heavy on the butt and hard to control the muzzle. I find the XS/L-7 to be about right as it comes from the factory, for me. DP

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Walnut media....GREAT IDEA! I was wondering what else to do with the 25 lb box I picked up at Harbor Freight.
What a deal, it is in the abrasive blasting media area. $22 for a 25lb box. Medium grit.

Thanks DPE :D

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I have an AR-7 that the stock was cracked on it and I thought about spraying some foam in it, but found a replacement stock for it. This rifle is very light and I imagine even with a little weight added in foam that it would still float. Plus it would deaden the sound if the stock is hit.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
GJinNY said:
Walnut media....GREAT IDEA! I was wondering what else to do with the 25 lb box I picked up at Harbor Freight.
What a deal, it is in the abrasive blasting media area. $22 for a 25lb box. Medium grit.

Thanks DPE :D
Yeah, and then if the hunting is bad you would have a maraca. ;D ;D ;D

Reactions: Rookie1970

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
dpe.ahoy said:
Walnut or corn cob case cleaning media would be lighter. It would change the balance of the rifle, I prefer more weight out towards the muzzle, lets the sights settle down better. To much weight forward, and the rifle seems sluggish, to heavy on the butt and hard to control the muzzle. I find the XS/L-7 to be about right as it comes from the factory, for me. DP
That explains why the muzzle bucked so much. The sand does reduce the recoil to the shoulder, but the muzzle is hard to control. My backwoods logic gets a little refined.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Filled a sandwich bag with walnut media, worked good. Not sure if it made any difference but at least it is quieter.
Great idea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i just filled all my synthetic stocks with foam except my mossberg 12 guage because it already has such good reinforcement in the stock. out of all of my guns, my x7 hands down has the cheapest stock. after you take the recoil pad off you can squeeze it and it really gives. after i foamed it, it has much less flex. i do wish i would've put a wedge or something in there now to completely eliminate any flex, but i'm still pretty happy with the results. the 6-24-50 scope i have on it added enough weight i didn't want any extra weight anyways.

·
Registered
386 Posts
jwilson48 said:
i just filled all my synthetic stocks with foam except my mossberg 12 guage because it already has such good reinforcement in the stock. out of all of my guns, my x7 hands down has the cheapest stock. after you take the recoil pad off you can squeeze it and it really gives. after i foamed it, it has much less flex. i do wish i would've put a wedge or something in there now to completely eliminate any flex, but i'm still pretty happy with the results. the 6-24-50 scope i have on it added enough weight i didn't want any extra weight anyways.
It's not made to be used as a pry bar.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
But in a pinch, a dandy canoe paddle! :eek:

Reactions: gradninja
1 - 20 of 24 Posts