Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out dog shooting yesterday. The shots were anywhere from 50-300+ yards. The 17HM2 was fantastic!! I found I shot it the most. I had a 204, 220 Swift, 223 for the longer shots, but it wasnt as much fun as the M2. 90% of the shooting was at 150-225 yards. The 17HM2 killed dogs at those distances with out any problems. It doesnt explode them like the centerfires do, but it sure wacks them! The problem we had yesterday was the wind. I had to put some left windage on, but once you figured out your drift it was all over for the varmits :wink: Many of the shots we were getting were just a head sticking up out of the hole, it's not much of a target at 75 yards let a lone 150+ I was very impressed with the little round. I shot 200 rounds out of it yesterday. My plan ws to just get the NEF Sportster and shoot it until Marlin gets out 717M2, but the way this little rifle shoots there is no way I'm getting rid of it. I only shot about 50 rounds out of 17 HMR, the Mach2 did as well as the mag did. I reaked havoc on the sparrows and starlings, but wsnt sure what to expect yesterday. This will be one of these rifles that I grab every time I leave the house to go a field. I cant wait to get my hands on the Marlin 717M2.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Awesome... I do need range time..

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've been shooting my Ruger 77 in M2 for a while now. I shoot very small ground squirrels and I found that the M2 was pretty puny out past 100 yards. Anything hit farther than that hopped around miserably until I could put another round into it. I finally put it up and switched to the 17HMR and the 22WMR for shots out to 150 yards. I leave M2 sighted in for 75 yards which put it 15" low at 200 yards. It's an accurate little round but I think it's too little past 100 yards. ~Andrew

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few made it back in the holes, and it happens with centerfire's sometimes. But I left a good number stone cold dead on the mound. This time of year you get a lot of pups, but it had no problems putting down the adults. One of the first ones I hit with it was an adult at about 175 yards it died on top of the mound feet up in the air. It served as a land mark. We would spot others and direct the shooter to the dog based off the dead one on the mound. I was very impressed with the little round. We never walked out to look at any. There was a bull in the pasture and none of us felt like dealing with him. A couple years ago I shot a couple with the 17HMR at 262 & 263 yards again it doesnt explode them like a centerfire, all it did was put a little hole in, but that was enough. The real fun is shooting them with a rimfire.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'll agree with you on that one! Nothing like bucking wind and weather with a rimfire. I really enjoy it. ~Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts