Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope this is the right area to ask this question. I am looking for an over under 20 ga in the $600 to $800 range, new or used, i would hope to not get closer to $800 if at all possible. SO I have found the lanber 2067, the CZ canvasback, a used ruger red label in not so great condition, and then of course the baikals that ussg imports now and used to be the remington spartans. I am going to be using it for mainly hunting birds and jumpin rabbits, which is why i dont want a $1300 hundred dollar gun with the great finish for me to ruin. I have a shotgun I use for clays already, so this one will be for mainly the smaller bird/game hunting with some recreational clays.
Do any of yall have experience with the ones listed or some that will fit the bill that i dont know of? As of now i am leaning away from the used red label(wasnt well maintained). Oh and please dont tell me to go get a cynergy or some other comment like that, if i wanted to get one id have one, it just doesnt fit my purpose, like why get an escalade truck when i can get a ford to get the job done just as well and not have to spend the extra for the "bling" and name.
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would greatly appreciate links for where other people have found information on this topic as well, or just another place to search. I tried shotgun world but mainly all i got was "DONT DO IT GET AN EXPENSIVE GUN INSTEAD" which means nothing to me considering most of my guns are the ones that people said were pos's, and they are anything but (this includes my marlins) so i stopped listening to the wssm's and expensive gun people.
Thanks again
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,870 Posts
bd55036 said:
Hey guys, hope this is the right area to ask this question. I am looking for an over under 20 ga in the $600 to $800 range, new or used, i would hope to not get closer to $800 if at all possible. SO I have found the lanber 2067, the CZ canvasback, a used ruger red label in not so great condition, and then of course the baikals that ussg imports now and used to be the remington spartans. I am going to be using it for mainly hunting birds and jumpin rabbits, which is why i dont want a $1300 hundred dollar gun with the great finish for me to ruin. I have a shotgun I use for clays already, so this one will be for mainly the smaller bird/game hunting with some recreational clays.
Do any of yall have experience with the ones listed or some that will fit the bill that i dont know of? As of now i am leaning away from the used red label(wasnt well maintained). Oh and please dont tell me to go get a cynergy or some other comment like that, if i wanted to get one id have one, it just doesnt fit my purpose, like why get an escalade truck when i can get a ford to get the job done just as well and not have to spend the extra for the "bling" and name.
Thanks!
Several ideas come to mind..............
• Used SKB® 505
• Used Remington® SPR310 (Baikal® IZH-27)
• New or used Stoeger® Condor™
• New or used Mossberg® Silver Reserve™
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
bd,

I went down the same road, also looking for a 20 gauge field gun that would handle steel shot and not willing to lay out exhorbitant cash for the top rated stuff. Ended up getting a clearance price on a Stevens 512 Goldwing. It would not fire one of the barrels when the other was selected to fire first. Sent it back to Savage and they confirmed that it had major mechanical problems that would cost more to repair than to give me a new replacement. They did just that, with an upgraded version that includes a gold colored sculpture on the receiver that is supposed to be a pheasant but looks more like a hawk. That doesn't bother me for what I intended to use it. The action was extremely rough and stiff. A couple hours of cleaning, removing burrs, and judicious polishing of parts got it to function quite nicely. I've also determined that the lower barrel shoots about a foot low at thirty yards. These are all probably things that aren't issues when you are willing to shell out $1400 for a top end O/U. I wasn't. What I ended up with was a functional field gun for a bargain price that doesn't look all that pretty but doesn't bother me either. I'm satisfied with it but others might not be. I certainly have no complaints with the way Savage/Stevens treated me. I think I got at least my money's worth in the Goldwing, but now, after all that, I still wish I had looked further at the CZs before making my decision. Hope that gives you something to think about.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
901 Posts
i bought a new mossberg 20g silver reserve for around $600 from bass pro... seems to work well.. inspect a few and get a good one
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
No experience with any of them, but have looked and researched. What I have been told is, the CZ will hunt, but may not stand up to a lot of clays/skeet. Others may be iffy, and may be hard to find parts if a problem... If it were me, I would get the Ruger. If I ever find one for ~$600, I will! And I don't mind cleaning one up and doing a little work on it if it is overall sound... Plus, know where to get parts!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,171 Posts
Bought wifey a "Baikal" 20ga O/U a few years ago, paid about 4 bills (if memory serves me) that thing is a shooter...about twice as light as my "Ruger" Red label (woodside 12ga) solid feel, locks up nice (but is very stiff when new) uses Rem screw-in chokes, very nice gun for sure. I now grab it to use more often then the Ruger.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,870 Posts
1 big hole said:
Bought wifey a "Baikal" 20ga O/U a few years ago, paid about 4 bills (if memory serves me) that thing is a shooter...about twice as light as my "Ruger" Red label (woodside 12ga) solid feel, locks up nice (but is very stiff when new) uses Rem screw-in chokes, very nice gun for sure. I now grab it to use more often then the Ruger.
I have a somewhat similar gun I bought in 09/2007.....
• Remington® Spartan™ SPR220 (Baikal® IZH-43) 20ga SxS

My gun doesn't use the Remington® chokes, it uses the Trulock® Choke System. Came with CYL (.620"), IMP CYL (.610"), MOD (.600"), and FULL (.590"). Manual says to only shoot Steel shotshells through the CYL and IMP CYL chokes. I've killed ducks grave yard dead out to 40yds with those two chokes. When I hunt pheasant, grouse, quail, doves, and rabbit, (using Pb ammo), I use IMP CYL and MOD chokes. I purchased two Turkey chokes from Colonial Arms (.570 and .575") and they are AWESOME! Baikal® guns are solidly built and very inexpensive; I paid $359.95+tax for mine. It has quickly become my favorite shotgun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, hopefully there will be some at the gunshow that is coming up so I can handle them all or more than one of each brand in one setting at one time, so far its starting to seem like Im gonna have to drive an hour or so for each gun. Thankfully Im in no hurry.
Also I was at a gunshop today talking to some behind the counter people and someone recommended a yildiz, but they are only available at Academy sports (closest one over an hour), have any of yall heard anything good or bad about these guns, i think they run in the $4-600 range depending on the wood. I wish i could get guns shipped free to my gunshop just to handle and not have to put down cash for them to get something in stock.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,870 Posts
bd55036 said:
Thanks for the replies, hopefully there will be some at the gunshow that is coming up so I can handle them all or more than one of each brand in one setting at one time, so far its starting to seem like Im gonna have to drive an hour or so for each gun. Thankfully Im in no hurry.
Also I was at a gunshop today talking to some behind the counter people and someone recommended a Yildiz, but they are only available at Academy sports (closest one over an hour), have any of yall heard anything good or bad about these guns, i think they run in the $4-600 range depending on the wood. I wish i could get guns shipped free to my gunshop just to handle and not have to put down cash for them to get something in stock.
CLICK IT
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,575 Posts
+1 for the Stoegers. Well made and accurate for the price.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,038 Posts
Went on a pawn shop trip yesterday just to look. Alot of guns filling the shelves with economy's downturn. Saw several shotties and just about everything else. Be patient and keep looking. Haven't shot one, but I think I would lean towards the stoegers as well if a new upland gun was in the works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,702 Posts
I just picked up and old pre WWII Ranger O/U made by Marlin for Sears. It's full over modified. Nice gun. I'ts actually a Marlin model 90. I bought it for clays, birds and bunnies. This gun proved to be pretty impressive on the trap range! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
There is a pawn shop by my work that has a Winchester 101 20 gauge for just under $900 that's in very nice shape. I bet they'd let it go for $800 or $850. If I hadn't just bought a CCL in 32-20 I'd be all over it. It's certainly a hundred bucks over your max but I guarantee you'd have a gun you could give to your grandkids and it would be worth a lot more than a Baikal or Stoeger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,727 Posts
I found a deeply discounted NIB Tikka O/U for less than $500 a few years back. It looks every bit as good as more expensive guns and shoots just as well. I have been well pleased with it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top