Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize, knowing this question has been asked before. I am looking to upgrade my sights on my Marlin 1894c in 357. I would like to put Williams firesights or something similar. Complication is that on my 1980 model, the front sight is dovetailed into the barrel. No ramp. Is there someone on this great forum that has done this successfully and is wiling to share the sights that worked? With thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Sage613, Do you plan on using the rear sight you have now on the rifle. If so take your rifle out and shoot it. If it shoots to point of aim at yardages you plan to shoot at, then take your rifle to your local gunsmith and have him order and install a fiber optic sight that you like. There are several sight companies that make them to fit your rifle. One that is made out of steel is better than an aluminum one. Most Marlins have a 3/8's dovetail. The old sight should be measured from the bottom of the sight to the top. If your gun doesn't hit where you aim at normal yardages say 25 through 100 yards then you will have to determine just how tall a sight you need. To a novice this is intimidating,This is why I suggested going through a good gunsmith. He can help you make the right decisions. Its not to costly for the sight, but gets expensive it you keep ordering the wrong sight. Check out all the sight reference's on this forum and you will get a heads up on what is involved. There is nothing better than a fiber optic front sight when using iron sights. If you want to improve your whole sight picture go to a peep rear with fiber optic front sight. Skinner sights make some of the best peep sights for Marlins You will have to order a front sight from someone like Williams or say Marbles. The front sight needs to be measured from the underneath surface of the sight to the top of the sight. . I like green colored ones the best for hunting and paper shooting. Red ones tend to be to bright causing sight picture problems. No one is likely to tell you need a certain height sight for a given rifle because all guns shoot differently and choice of ammo plays a big part on all of this. Like I said a good gunsmith can help you get the sight you need and you might get lucky and get it right the first time. I tried to do all this by my self and have made some dumb mistakes that cost me a lot extra to get things right. Just changing out the front sight should not cost much more than 30 bucks and what ever your gun smith charges. A new Skinner rear peep sight and a good front sight can run 150 or better.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir! Very helpful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put a Skinner "Reliable" peep on my 1894 44mag with a Williams Fiber Optic front Firesight. I read as much as I could on this site and others then guessed a .450 height would work but actually needed the .406 height. Shoots to POA now... You may want to compare the ballistics between the 357 and 44 mag but everybody "in the know" says you have to shoot'em to get it right... and the .450 works on my 30-30... lol

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
We have .410, .450, .500, and .570" fiber Optic front sights in stock. Available on our website FRONT SIGHT page at Marlin peep sights

Hope that helps,

ANDY

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
i personaly like skinner's blade front sight, havent used their fiber optic sights but i dont care for the williams. I get a better sight picture with a sharp edge, the williams fiber optic always seems a bit washed, harder for me to line up with than their blade sight. best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Me too Cali. The fiber optic glows which makes sort of a halo around the bead like a mirage. I use Skinner blades also. If they need to be brighter paint the vertical edge white or orange. Or use their brass blade.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate all the great advice

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Go with Skinner sights all around, get the Skinner peep and a taller front blade, you will be glad you did when it's installed trust me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like there are lots of Skinner fans here☺ I will absolutely check them out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered the Williams Peep with firesite from midway a couple of years ago. Installed both myself with great results. A simple install and easy to re-zero. helped with the old set of eyes I am stuck with.
Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts