Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my 336 in .35 Rem and would really like to see a nice fiber optic front sight on it to spice it up a little. Anyone have suggestions on an affordable sight?? For the time being I am without a scope and I really want to get use to the gun with irons. -Thanks, Mentokk

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
I have a set of Williams Fire Sights on my goto hog/brush gun that I like.
Fiber optic sights.jpg

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I just recently bought my 336 in .35 Rem and would really like to see a nice fiber optic front sight on it to spice it up a little. Anyone have suggestions on an affordable sight?? For the time being I am without a scope and I really want to get use to the gun with irons. -Thanks, Mentokk
+1 It really shows up at low light times. I`m talking about the Williams F/S peep.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a Williams 5D (the economy version) receiver sight on two of my 336/.30-30s. They're matched with green fiber optic front sights. Works very well for hunting. However, I still use scoped Marlins when hunting late afternoons.

PC

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Have them on most of mine, but I would like to have the bead about half the size. Or maybe even a thin line.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I added the green Fire Sights to my non-Marlin Hartford 357 levergun and like it alot. Am seriously thinking about getting one for my waffle top to go with the Williams 5D just like PeterCartwright's earlier post. This I think is the best way to go if you don't want to use a scope.

·
Registered
797 Posts
This past summer, I installed a green fiber optic FS, made by Marbles. It's smaller in dia. than most other fiber optic sights.
I like how it works with the factory rear sight, better shan a ghost ring.

I've shot two deer recently in the evening's with not much light left. The sight lined up quick with the rear sight, and the fiber optic bead was like using a red dot optic. No guessing where shot placement was.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
I have a set of Williams Fire Sights on my goto hog/brush gun that I like.
View attachment 15476
48vintage, where did you find this williams fire sight setup? i have looked on their wedsite & do not see this. do you by any chance have the part #? Thanks for any info..

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
IMR is right. Marble's is smaller in diameter and they offer orange or green. I like the orange. Only issue is they don't make them for the .25" wide newer ramps. Only for .340" ramps and .500" dovetailed barrels. If you have a narrow ramp you have to grind down a Marble's on both sides or go with the fatter Williams in red only.

oleroy,
Go to Williams' site and download their 2011 catalog in PDF format. It shows the fiber ghost ring WGRS option on page 13. It lists it as an additional purchase of aperture to go on a WGRS but you might call to find out if you can order it as an assembly. Williams will sell direct.

Jeff

Reactions: Azbagger and oleroy

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
IMR is right. Marble's is smaller in diameter and they offer orange or green. I like the orange. Only issue is they don't make them for the .25" wide newer ramps. Only for .340" ramps and .500" dovetailed barrels. If you have a narrow ramp you have to grind down a Marble's on both sides or go with the fatter Williams in red only.

oleroy,
Go to Williams' site and download their 2011 catalog in PDF format. It shows the fiber ghost ring WGRS option on page 13. It lists it as an additional purchase of aperture to go on a WGRS but you might call to find out if you can order it as an assembly. Williams will sell direct.

Jeff
Thanks BFPGW for the info. i will go to there web site & download as you suggested, but first i have to let all the turkey & fixings settle down first!!:eating: Yep i did it again, ate to much:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
OLEROY
It's on the williams site- WGRS

·
Registered
797 Posts

Jeff
Good you mentioned this Jeff, as I had to do a little modifycation on mine.
My rifle has the dovetaill cut for FS. (older rifle) I orderd the Marbles FS with the 3/8's base. Can't remember the height of the sight, but I measured the factory sight, to match size of new one.

When I received the sight, and went to fit it in the dovetail, I noticed the front of the base would have to be ground down on an angle, to clear the front barrel band. I used a dremel to do this, and it worked out fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, can a/some hunter give me sure info on optic fibre front and rear sights for my Marlin 336? I was looking and most reviews say that it is impossible to adjust them for hignt, hitting way high of the target. I hunt boar in rugged country, am a bush beater so I want a fast bead on moving game often at very short range. My XS peeps have always been trusty but now I'm 61 with eyesight and rapidity slowly diminishing. Happy hunting! ...Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,682 Posts
I've never been a fan of Fiber Optic sights....................I think they belong on Paint Ball Guns.....
If you want more luminescence, I'd visit a hobby store and buy some luminescent paint in the color of your choice for the front, and use a Peep receiver sight on the rear.........

Just my thinking...........

Tom

Reactions: northmn

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Tomray is not all wrong but I do like them. As a couple of others mentioned I use a green front bead and a 5D receiver sight. Paint does wear off. Williams also makes a "twilight" aperture for the receiver sight and I like that also. On black bullseyes on sunny days they are a bit much and tend to glare a bit but for woods use they work very well. I have them on three rifles. ON my 30-30 I had to cut out notch to adapt to the band as another mentioned. None of these front sights fit out of the box and took s bit of filing to drift into the dove tail. Also know that dovetails are slightly tapered so that you install from one direction. Cannot remember which.

DEP

·
Premium Member
10,682 Posts
Tomray is not all wrong but I do like them. As a couple of others mentioned I use a green front bead and a 5D receiver sight. Paint does wear off. Williams also makes a "twilight" aperture for the receiver sight and I like that also. On black bullseyes on sunny days they are a bit much and tend to glare a bit but for woods use they work very well. I have them on three rifles. ON my 30-30 I had to cut out notch to adapt to the band as another mentioned. None of these front sights fit out of the box and took s bit of filing to drift into the dove tail. Also know that dovetails are slightly tapered so that you install from one direction. Cannot remember which.

DEP
northmn,

The female dovetail on the Barrel is NOT tapered...........It's the MALE dovetail on the sight that is tapered.......

Drive the MALE dovetail on/in FROM the RIGHT, and off/out TO the RIGHT...............

I "think" most of those fiber optic sight use an aluminum base, too....................

They are just not my cup of Tea..........

Tom

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I bought my first one and installed it yesterday. It is a Skinner that is coupled with a Williams rear peep on a 336SC. I only got to rough it in at around 35 yards but the final two shots after adjustments were on the bull and touching. I think I am going to like it.
To me it is a little out of place on a 1949 gun but it does seem to match my 1949 eyes.

Reactions: Tomray

·
Registered
461 Posts
My setup is a Williams FP rear peep with the aperture removed, and a red Williams firesight bead, The bead is quite small, the FP has a full range of adjustment, and the front bead works very well, and fast, for 98% of legal shooting time.
It can't compare to a low X power scope in murky conditions but it doesn't get in the way either.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts