Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas why? I bought a beautiful 1955 35REM not long ago. Just got a chance to shoot it with some Leverevolution 200gr. I sighted it in with 12 rounds in 3-shot groups and by the fourth group had it right on the bulls eye (2 on the bull & one close by in the next ring) - on a 9" target @ 50yds - from a sitting position with open sights.

So far-so good. Problem was I could barely make myself squeeze off the last tree rounds. Even had to fetch a substantial piece of clothing to drape over my shoulder for padding. I shoot an M1A and an 1895STBL 45/70 but this thing was another level altogether. It's four days now and my shoulder is purple, literally.

What might account for a kick about half-again greater than a 45/70?

Would appreciate any theories outside my not drawing the stock firmly into my shoulder. Believe me, after the first round I was concentrating on that with everything that was not focused on eliminating a flinch due to anticipation.

I'd post a pick of my target (and my shoulder for that matter) but I'm limited to an iPhone.

Regards,
John

·
Super Moderator
15,824 Posts
I personally think that the Hornadys have got to be loaded close to max as even the 30-30s' have a noticeable punch to them. I have yet to get out and try the 35 I bought a couple weeks ago, but I am looking forward to squeezing off a few rounds of Remington 200 gr core-lokt and some handloads I made up with 220 gr Speers Hot-cors. Mr fixit

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Interesting.... ???
I doubt this is the cause but could the ammo have been way over loaded from the factory?

By the way you say how good it was shooting it doesn't sound like a problem with the ammo.

Did you try different ammo just to see if the recoil was the same?

Will be interested on hearing what other guys have to say.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It's the 35 Leverevolution ammo; noticeably hotter than the old standby 200 grain Rem Coreloks. But you won't feel the "punch" when you squeeze off the trigger on a nice Whitetail!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
mr fixit said:
I personally think that the Hornadys have got to be loaded close to max as even the 30-30s' have a noticeable punch to them. I have yet to get out and try the 35 I bought a couple weeks ago, but I am looking forward to squeezing off a few rounds of Remington 200 gr core-lokt and some handloads I made up with 220 gr Speers Hot-cors. Mr fixit
But like he said... "half-again greater than a 45/70?"
could you "max" out a 35 that much???

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
What kind of .45-70 loads are we talking, here? 405gr factory Remington loads are very mild, definitely much milder than Leverevolution ammo in my .30-30 336.

Also, an M1/M1A will tend to be very mild due to its weight and gas operation. The heavy weight reduces the impulse transmitted to you, and the gas operation further acts as a damper. I can sit there and shoot my M1 Garand all day with hot surplus ammo (which isn't as hot as .30-06 gets, but still pretty hot, probably hotter than what you're shooting in your M1A). The .30-30 336, not so much.

All the same, please inspect your spent casings from your .35. If you see any bright rings on the case body, cratering of the primer, flattening of the primer (compare the edges of the primer to an unfired round...they should be similarly rounded), or brass flow signs on the case head, and you may have some problems.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Leaning into it can really increase the level of recoil one feels. I try to set as up right as possible, not hunker down low to the table top. Doing that makes it harder for your upper body to move with recoil and puts more of the recoil on the top part of your shoulder. Same amount of recoil, just given to you differently. DP

Reactions: kraynky

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anything different about your sitting position that would've prevented your shoulder from recoiling with the shot. Was your shoulder in more of a fixed position? Were you leaning more forward than with the others?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
chocdog said:
Likely lack of proper stock fit. Older stocks have more drop in the stock comb & heel area.

Chocdog
I agree with Chocdog. I know my .35 Remington 336C kicks the begeezas out of me and it really hurts. My .358 Winchesters and .35 Whelens don't
pound me like my .35 Rem 336C. I always attributed it to the stock not fitting me properly. I've never felt it when shooting at game but off the bench
it's not pleasant. My 30-06's don't even come close to the kick of the 336C. I shoot mostly upper end handloads or the HDY FTX factory load.
358 Win

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
really can't say why you feel so much recoil, but as i get (got) older i too suffered with recoil. about 15 rounds of 30-06 or 20-25 rounds of 30-30 or 308mx, my shoulder would be black & blue for days. my solution, i bought a "PAST" slip on magnum recoil pad, the one that fits over your shoulder, not one that slips on your stock. oh boy, big difference in the dropped level of recoil. now i can shoot more, more often, & enjoy it... :)

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I'm scratching my head on this one. Even with 220 gr bullets loaded to 2210 fps, the 35 Remington in all of my different guns, has very little noticeable recoil. I've shot LE ammo, and my own handloads loaded to a higher velocity than factory LE and have never noticed it.

You aren't shooting a straight stocked gun, are you? They tend to have more felt recoil because you don't have a pistol grip to help absorb some of the recoil into your hand.

·
Registered
224 Posts
hey, i just finished my first lb. of LVR, ALL IN .35REM. w/
both 150gr. & 200gr. bullets.

the 200's w/ the listed max load, a compressed load, did seem very stiff & more
recoil than i wanted off the bench.nice groups but to much recoil, for me.
i reduced the charge by 1 grain & is alot more tolerable. and accurate
enough for whitetails.

seems to me LVR kicks more than the others i have tried:
3031--4064--748--BLC-2

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I'm glad it wasn't just me that noticed this...

My 336 in .35 will hammer the fool outta me even with a 1in Pachmyer on it :eek: I thought it was worse than a Browning A-bolt 7mm mag... and I've fired just about every .35 factory ammo available outta mine and they all kick the same. I think(?) it's a combination lightweight and short barrel. Just my 3 cents ;D

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, thanks guys... While I know I won't notice the recoil with a whitetail in the sights I still want to understand this and your comments help. I agree about the recoil of the M1A and gave that some thought but added the info as a frame of referance. Now abusing me more than a 45/70 came as a surprise especially since I'm shooting 315gr LRs there. I was beginning to wonder if I was using ammo shouldn't be using with an older gun but no one raised that as the obvious. Of all I've read here I think the one sounding most plausible relates to my position. I'm getting mighty stiff as i approach 60 even though I'm still active so maybe I AM leaning too far forward to achieve the sitting position to allow shoulder movement with the recoil, as pointed out. My bruise though is in the pocket and not on top of the shoulder so I'm not sure. But then again similar bruising is shared by oleroy. I'll try shooting this from a standing position and do a side-by-side comparison with a 30-30 from both positions. In the meantime I'll keep in mind what 'some' have said about the significant kick of a .35 and adjust my expectations as well as look for a shooting pad. I'm hoping it's not my stock. I love the pistol grip as well as the short carbine barrel. And I'll inspect my cases. Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
"All the same, please inspect your spent casings from your .35. If you see any bright rings on the case body, cratering of the primer, flattening of the primer (compare the edges of the primer to an unfired round...they should be similarly rounded), or brass flow signs on the case head, and you may have some problems"

Thx for the tip. I went and looked at all of my .35 brass and all of them have a dark ring that only goes halfway around the top of the brass where the boolit sits. The brass from my 30-30, .300Sav and .243 do not look like that ???

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Hmm, probably not a problem, LT, I'm thinking it's likely just discoloration from case neck annealing, but I can't be sure. Got a pic?

Most of the kind of bright ring phenomena I've seen are closer to the case head, on the body. It is a result of excessive case stretching.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Hmmmm, I've never been bothered by the recoil of either of my .35Rem's.
I've shot the Rem core lokts and LE's and never noticed any difference in felt recoil.

I know everyone is different but there's no way my .35 Whelen is easier on the shoulder as one poster mentioned that his is.

Reactions: Oberhaz

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My 336C 35 Rem. kicks me pretty good too. I'm also glad I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
821 Posts
its always just felt like a shove to me, not like the sharp smack my friends 338WM gives me

that being said my .35 is a 1970 model. i have only shot 200 corelokts and they were very mild. on par with my .25-06 imo

1 - 20 of 77 Posts