Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cabelas 1851 replica that was altered to a cartridge conversion and reamed to 38 spl. The guy had that reamer on hand, so that's what he used. What about ammo? Could the 148 gr hollow base wadcutter be used with small doses of black or pyrodex? Would I be better off deep-seating a ball in the case with a light load of same? - NO smokeless, of course! SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Hi Hogger,
I played with a friend's conversion, which was the same caliber as your's. We found that the lighter weight bullets worked fine in it, even better than a seated ball in the .38 cases. We used a 125 grain cast round nose bullet, seated to fit the cylinder. We shot this with both Clean Shot, and ffg BP, and used a slightly compressed load.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you! It's in the shop right now to get an ejector rod housing problem ironed out, but I'll try the lighter bullets. I'm not deluding myself about accuracy, but I'd at least like to be able to keep all 5 shots on a newspaper at 25 paces! :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Have you slugged the bore? Some of these can run a little on the large side. Also might want to ream the forcing cone, if the bore size is OK. I use the kit Brownells sells. It can be ordered with various degree cutters, and it will improve the accuracy of almost any pistol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts