Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a very nice pre-safety model 94c a couple of months back. It was originally gonna replace my new model 94c but with the help of this forum I decided to keep both. Well, It made it out twice and I have had nothing but feeding issues. It irritated me so much that this was happening that I just stuck it in the back safe (out of sight out of mind). It Irritated me even more that the shady little rat I bought it from failed to mention this! 3 months have gone by and I think I've cooled off enough to start messing with it.

I have tried cycling it with .38 specials and .357 of a few different bullet types and the bolt does not want to close all the way. At first I figured that it just had a rough chamber so I pulled the gun apart to inspect it a little better. I then put a round in the chamber without the bolt in the rifle and it slid in and out with absolutely no resistance. I tried it with a couple of other rounds just to make sure that it wasn't specific to the round I was using. I'm thinking it may be the bolt face but I'm not real sure. What do yall think?

·
Registered
882 Posts
For diagnostic purposes coat a new shell with machinist's marking die, or magic marker. Then carefully open the bolt and put it on the carrier and try to close the bolt. Make note of where the bolt hangs. Take photos. Note how far the bullet has entered the barrel.
Then carefully remove the cartridge, noting which side is on top. You should see scratches where the cartridge is hanging.
If you have scratches about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the mouth of the case on the left side or bottom, you might have a sharp edge on the mouth of the chamber or on the barrel hood. You may need to 'break' the sharp edge with a ball or conical shaped Dremel point or some other abrasive tool. DO IT BY HAND! you only need a few strokes of the abrasive to smooth the sharp edge.
You can make a tool by gluing the shank of the Dremel point into a hole drilled into a length of wooden dowel.
M.
This photo shows a sharp edge created on the barrel hood where three surfaces meet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will definitely give that a shot. I'm not doubting what your saying is correct but I'm a little confused... This could still be the issue even if the round fully seats in the chamber without the bolt? The only time it wont seat is when its pushed into the chamber via the bolt. Even if I single load it the round will seat correctly but when I try to close the bolt on the round it will not close. Again, I'm just a little confused, not doubting your info. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I would try removing the ejector and see if the bolt closes on the round.If that doesnt help and you have a second rifle try swapping the bolts.Just be sure you know which one goes with what rifle.Possible you have a problem with the extractor on the front of the bolt.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Levergunz said:
I would try removing the ejector and see if the bolt closes on the round.If that doesnt help and you have a second rifle try swapping the bolts.Just be sure you know which one goes with what rifle.Possible you have a problem with the extractor on the front of the bolt.
Yes it sounds as though it could be the extractor. Did you check the groove the extractor sits in when the bolt is closed? They get filled with crap over the years.

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
Lever Addict and Levergunz are close to the source of the problem...............

Pull the bolt, and remove the "Extractor"...Drive the extractor retaining pin out toward the TOP of the bolt.....reinstall the bolt, and cycle a round with no extractor............. I bet the cartridge will load.

If that's the case, the Extractor doesn't have enough movement. You'll need to grind a bit of material from the outside edge of the heel on the extractor........The area that actually holds the spring in place, at the pivot end of the Extractor.

The cause of your problem is an "out of tolerance" condition between the angle of the extractor hole and the position of the retaining pin hole.........The result is, that the extractor cannot move (pivot) "out" far enough to allow the cartridge rim to slide up under it smoothly.

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate y'alls input and that makes complete sense. I'm gonna get on that when I get home from work and will report back... hopefully on my success ;D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As y'all stated, the problem seems to be the extractor. I swapped bolts with my other 94 and the problem followed the bolt so it sounds as if the extractor is the likely culprit. Unfortunately I don't have the right sized punch and never made it to the store to pick one up. I tried a little bit with a make shift punch but that sucker is in there pretty good (and I did try and drive it out the correct way). Hopefully I can make it by today and get the correct sized punch. Dang, I'm ready to get that thing running!

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
RustyShackleford said:
As y'all stated, the problem seems to be the extractor. I swapped bolts with my other 94 and the problem followed the bolt so it sounds as if the extractor is the likely culprit. Unfortunately I don't have the right sized punch and never made it to the store to pick one up. I tried a little bit with a make shift punch but that sucker is in there pretty good (and I did try and drive it out the correct way). Hopefully I can make it by today and get the correct sized punch. Dang, I'm ready to get that thing running!

That pin is a groove Pin, and it displaces metal when installed. It will come out to the top fairly easy, though.

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry it took so long to get back but its been one thing or another and I wasn't able to put in any more time into the Marlin. I brought it with me to work today hoping to get some spare time and run out to my truck and tinker with it... which I did. I finally got that extractor out and I think the problem was to much tension on the extractor spring... as you all stated. Unfortunately I could only find one round in my truck but I put the bolt in without the extractor and everything functioned well every time. I went back to the extractor spring and decided to see if I could bend it a little to release some of the tension... and typical of me, I had no pliers. So, I decided "what the heck" and bit down on the base of the spring a little with my teeth and it it compressed it a bit. I put everything back together and everything functioned perfectly! As I said earlier, I only had one round to cycle but I did it multiple times. I'm gonna take her home at lunch and see if I can get an entire tube of assorted ammo to cycle. I'll report back after lunch... sure hope it did the trick!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley...... you have ammo for lunch! ::) :eek: :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, its still sticky but it functioned a heck of a lot better. I think a can attribute some of this to the minimal use that I believe this rifle to have seen. I think I'm gonna cycle a few hundred rounds through it this evening but I think the problem has been more or less fixed. Thank y'all for all the help!

rockridge said:
I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley...... you have ammo for lunch! ::) :eek: :D
:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hope that working the action slicks it up for you and you have no further problems of this sort. The only feeding problem I have on my 96 1894CS is that it demands I feed it lots and lots of ammo every time I take it out.... ;)

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
If that's the case, the Extractor doesn't have enough movement. You'll need to grind a bit of material from the outside edge of the heel on the extractor........The area that actually holds the spring in place, at the pivot end of the Extractor.

This is what you need to do..........................DO IT!

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tom, I actually thought about what you had said the first time, last night... and had a "duh" moment :-[. I will definitely do that because it makes even more sense now. Thank you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts