Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1894C feeds 158 gr 38 SWCs beautifully. It does the same with 158 gr 357 Nosler JHPs.
BUT I have to double pump almost every round of 158 gr 357 Remington JSP that I try to chamber. They hang up with the brass about 1/10" inside the chamber. I have to work the lever several times (sometimes 8 or 10) to get them to chamber. The odd thing is the profile and length are nearly identical to the Noslers. The only other thing is the Rem JSP are loaded in Winchester brass. I wouldn't think that would be the reason, but I thought I'd add it anyway.

So what's going on with this gun?

SEE UPDATE BELOW

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Re: Feeding problem with my 1894C

The Remington JSP profile is about as lever gun friendly as you can get. What Remington JSP weight? The 180's are longer than the 158 or 125s. What's your OAL? Try shortening it up .010 or so.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

As I stated, all of these bullets are 158 gr. And I agree, they seem like they should be pretty lever friendly. They are almost identical in profile to the Noslers that feed fine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I just loaded up a couple of the Remington JSP using the RP brass and they cycle just fine. ???
This seems a bit weird to me. The only difference was the brass and it made a night and day difference in the cycling. And I can't detect any difference in the cases. Could this really be the cause?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I just confirmed it. Loaded up some dummy rounds with the WW brass and had feeding trouble 3/4 of the attempts. The RP brass ran fine every round. These rounds were all new unfired 357 brass (both RP and WW), no primers and same projectiles. It is an issue with the Winchester 357 brass. I have no idea what exactly it is about the brass that is causing it.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts

It would seem you have a rather discriminating Levergun. Feed it accordingly! 8)

·
Registered
6,670 Posts

Maybe the Brand W brass is thicker?

·
Registered
711 Posts

I'd try a little more crimp on the Win brass and see what that does.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

I have to believe you have a problem with OAL. Have you measured it?
GH1 :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's not OAL. I seated the Rem JSPs to the same depth in both RP and WW case and only the RP cases fed consistantly. It's not the case length either, the cases of both run from 1.283 to 1.285". The only difference I've found is that the rim on the WW cases is consistantly 0.003" larger than the RPs. That's the only thing that measures differently that I can find. I can't imaging a gun could be this picky. Weird! ???

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's funny, because I've heard these guns often have problem feeding SWCs. But this gun feeds them beautifully, at least in 38 spl (sadly the 38 SWCs group in about a foot circle at 50 yds). Seems like there are a lot of layers on this onion.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Interesting!

two things come to my mind.

#1. I don't think this is the problem but its possible that your crimp isn't sufficient on that WW brass. Mic your cases at the mouth for diameter measurement.
On this matter, your rifle chamber should still allow them to chamber even if they are a few .000 larger.

#2. and this would be my quess. Because you stated that the WW brass has a thicker (or large) rim, my guess is that it catching on your extractor while trying to feed under it. Or in other words, while the extractor is trying to pop over it.

Anyhow, if your extractor is at its factory strength, tweak it alittle to make it 'softer'. Check out Marauders website and look at the pixs of those extractors. You will want to make your extractor spring straight.
This will allow for a 'softer' push when your rims are trying to get under the extractor.

Keep us informed.

..........Widder

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't make it clear in my earlier post. It was rim diameter that was consistantly bigger on the WW cases. I was unable to measure any difference in the thickness of the rim.

·
Registered
567 Posts
whether thicker or bigger rim, still check out your extractor.

Even in good guns, a stiff extractor can cause issues.

And, a 'softer' extractor can enhance even good guns.

Anyhow, based on all the info given, that would be the first thing I would check.

Good luck.

..........Widder

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Widowmaker said:
whether thicker or bigger rim, still check out your extractor.

Even in good guns, a still extractor can cause issues.

And, a 'softer' extractor can enhance even good guns.

Anyhow, based on all the info given, that would be the first thing I would check.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Widder I totally agree about the extractor fix. As a matter of fact the same goes for the 336 style extractor. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,51618.0.html New, stiff and not broken in a new extractor can cause some headaches! By loading dummy rounds and constantly and closely watching them feed I came up with the same fix. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,58595.0.html Before posting this fix I did the stoning and bending of the extractor, but was not sucessful with the more high power rounds. I think a combination of the softer Rem brass and the pressure of the load gave me extraction problems to the point of no extraction. The lighter loads were not a problem. So a combination of the extractor spring and this did it for me. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,59197.0.html At one time Marlin had a cartridge guide on the top of the reciever that was attached to the barrel. I had one on my .45 Cowboy. I think if Marlin would put these back on the 1894's most problems would be eliminated! Eh, but what do I know. Must be a reason why they don't use em anymore! ???

BTW. GREAT video on the Widdermajic! I loved it!

Lever Addict

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You rock Widder! I straightened out the spring and tried to file off the sharp edges of the extractor. It's not perfect, but it's 90% better. Thanks everybody!

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I love happy endings. ;)

Did I mention that This Forum Rocks?

Yeah, I thought so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts