Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one in .44 Mag. and it feeds and ejects flawlessly, but I read in the new Marlin catalog they have an asterik next to the .357 model that says, "Consult owners manual for ammunition use". What do they mean? I'd like to get one in .357 but was wondering about feeding issues? billt.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's just min-max OAL cartridge numbers and an admonition about wadcutters and shot shells.

Should it worry you? My latest manual has the same caveats for the .44 Mag/Spl., so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The manual cautions about using .357's after firing .38's. Because of the difference in case length it may build up a lead ring in the chamber after it has been used extensively with the .38's. Scrub it clean after use as you would your .44.

Deafrn gave you good advice. With the wide variations in ammunition, there are limits to what an 1894C will feed reliably.

Previous posts here have expressed the opinion that the 1894 in .357 is one of the most versatile, accurate, and fun rifles to own. I won't part with mine.

Jim H.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Mine is still wearing in, but if I try to run 38's thru it, I'm asking for trouble. It is still somewhat stiff, as my 44 was, and feeding with some rounds is iffy if I don't work the lever just right, meaning too fast or too slow. Some bullet profiles also don't feed well, you'll just have to determine what yours likes and what it doesn't.

As for the 44, once it slicked up from a lot of use, it will now feed Specials and Magnums equally well, even mixed in the feed tube, it doesn't care. Another year of two of light use, and I expect the same with the 1894C. Feel free to use this as an excuse to shoot it a lot, I sure did! :wink:

Papajohn

·
Registered
360 Posts
My Marlin and my Rossi both, are not reliable in feeding .38 Special. I have stopped using that cartridge in my lever guns. The same applies to my 1894S in .44 Mag. I have never put a single round of .44 Special through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts