Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I e-mailed Federal about using the 170 grain Partition 30-30 on Black bear, and they said with proper bullet placement it was appropriate out to 100 yards. I figured more like 150 but have to agree with Federal erring on the side of caution. One thing it ought to smoke one at that range for certain.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have never used the partition ammo... but I have sucessfully taken Deer at 100 to 125 using Winchester silver tip and Rem core-loc.. so I would say black bear at same ranges resonable with partition..

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I found some Federal Nosler 30-30 Partitions on clearance at a shopping mall sporting goods store. Thought,"What the heck!" and bought one box. Several weeks later I woke up to the fact that it was such a good deal I should get some more. When I went back they only had one box left. I bought it.

Price: $9 and change/20 rds.

Can't hardly buy Wally World ammo for that. Shoulda bought all they had the first trip.

Oh well, will save this ammo for when I draw a Wyoming moose permit. That may be years but the local moose are pretty easy to approach. The 30-30 Nosler Partitions should be just the ticket. :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Boy that sounded so nice........ all this talk throughout the Marlin
forum about cheap bullets outta 45/70's .444's and such.

and heres a guy hoping to get a chance on a draw for Moose in
Wyoming......and his gun of choice a 30-30.

you darn right it can do it !!!!! cheers to you, sir.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would define a large blackie as 500 lbs, which is considered true trophy size around here. Although the state record, killed about 1.5 hours SE of my home, is 880 lbs :shock:

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
I don't hunt black bear, so I'm not gonna vote, but I would think that if you had to take a 150 yard shot, you kinda screwed up, right? The guys I know who hunt black bear say most opportunities are close. These guys hunt over bait in stands, but I suppose there are other ways to do it.

Even though I'm not voting, I'd still say if you can't kill it with a 170 Partition, nothing else will either. Bigger rounds might have more energy, but that Partition at .30-30 speed ought to penetrate a bunch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For DRT moosies and black bears, my thoughts are 50yds with the 30-30 and any bullet. Field conditions are not necessarily conducive to accuracy of shot placement and when the animal is hit the fun may begin. The best shot would be thru the nearest front shoulder and a followup as quick as possible. Fishing big moose from lakes and swamps ain't fun and brer bear in the thickets is worse. A good friend found out (near fatally)with his 444 and a neck shot 350pound black in Ontario. He was stalked by said wounded bear and put 2 stoppers into the bruin at 15ft after his hunting partner yelled. The bear doubled around behind him and he didn't hear it.
Bears have a very slow heart rate and winter fat and fur seals wound channels quickly. From a stand over bait is different then spot and stalk as my friend was doing. Someone else be the judge.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Unfortunate that the bullet landed in the neck. Miss the spine, big problems result. With a poorly placed shot, even a 444 is inadequate.

Put the first shot in the right place, stoppers not needed. Sounds like a .30-30 would have been perfectly adequate. Any reason fur and fat would not close off a .444 or .45-70 hole as well as a .30-30 hole? Especially with the big bore tendency to use a cast bullet?

·
Registered
137 Posts
35remington:

I hunt bears mostly by still-hunting or calling. Two of my best bears taken were by still-hunting and one of those I shot was less than 20 yards away. The one I killed last year was between 40 and 45 yards away when I took him - using my .35 Remington. In our area here in the northeast a 100 yard shot would be a long shot and a 150 yard shot would be very unusual and one I personally would not take.

With that being said; out west big blacks are hunted by glassing old burns and mountain clearings so 150 yard shot in these areas are more the norm and hopefully the hunter's firearm is adequate for these ranges and more. I think I've read about very large blacks being taken in your area in large grain fields and then of course the distance for shots are longer.

A 170 grain Nosler in 30-30 Win. would be the cats meow at 100 yards or less. Just like my good old .35 Remington - which is even better. :)

Range Finder

P.S. Sorry about this 35remington, I thought you were from North Carolina but I see it's 35 Hunter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts