Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i just got a new Marlin 1895 GS last week and love it!..it shoots hornady LE just under 1" groups at 100 yds...bought 2 boxes of the federal 300 gr speer hot- core bullets, any input on this would be great, Regards...Lou

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It is great ammo Lou. Fire some into some water filled milk jugs for us. I would love to see what they come out like and see how many they make it through. I bet they will be champion at the speeds they are loaded to by Federal. Scotty

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
beretzs said:
It is great ammo Lou. Fire some into some water filled milk jugs for us. I would love to see what they come out like and see how many they make it through. I bet they will be champion at the speeds they are loaded to by Federal. Scotty
Hey Scotty, I well try that, they shoot good for me, thanks..Lou

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think you will be surprised how well they do Lou. I still need to get some 350gr Hornady FN's into water jugs myself. Wanna see what they look like without digging them outta wood! Scotty

·
Registered
539 Posts
That speer bullet is a tough bullet. Speer designed it to hold up at the 458 win mag velocities which is around 2,500 fps if memory serves correctly. It needs an impact velocity of at least 1,300 fps to get reliable expansion on bone (not that a .458 caliber needs expansion). So if the federal 300 round launches that speer bullet out of the end of your barrel at its advertised speed of 1,800 fps, it will be all the way out to about 170 yards before it drops below 1,300 fps. Another advantage is the fact that it is a bonded bullet, meaning the core and jacket will not separate during expansion like I have witnessed non-bonded 45-70 bullets do. I don't think you could fragment this bullet with a 45-70 on any animal alive in today's world.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
findrichard said:
That speer bullet is a tough bullet. Speer designed it to hold up at the 458 win mag velocities which is around 2,500 fps if memory serves correctly. It needs an impact velocity of at least 1,300 fps to get reliable expansion on bone (not that a .458 caliber needs expansion). So if the federal 300 round launches that speer bullet out of the end of your barrel at its advertised speed of 1,800 fps, it will be all the way out to about 170 yards before it drops below 1,300 fps. Another advantage is the fact that it is a bonded bullet, meaning the core and jacket will not separate during expansion like I have witnessed non-bonded 45-70 bullets do. I don't think you could fragment this bullet with a 45-70 on any animal alive in today's world.
Thanks :)..just 1 thing, i bought 2 boxes and they say 300 gr soft point..Have 2 more boxes waiting for me and they say 300 gr speer hot cor sp?...both loads are 4570 AS.....are they the same bullet i wonder?....Lou ::)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Same bullet Lou, just different labeling on the packaging. Scotty

·
Registered
550 Posts
I hate to tell ya but the Speer 300gr. uni-core & the 350 hot core are not the same bullet. It is the 350 hot core that was made for the 458 win mag NOT the 300gr uni-core. The 350gr hot core is NOT a bonded bullet. The 300 uni-core is a plated-bonded bullet. The 300 should hold together well but is not a super tough bullet.

I'm not sure what 300gr. bullet Federal is loading. The HOT CORE part might be a miss print. If it's bonded it must be the uni-core or a non-component bullet that Speer is making just for loaded ammo.

John

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you question their website information just email them. They were very responsive to my questions.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did email them, they told me it was a speer hot core bullet?..Also got an email today from barnes, 45-70 vor tx ammo, we have it here in canada, but won't be available for atleast 1 month...300 gr tsx at 1900 fps...gonna try that one too :)....my 338 wm shoots the ttsx 225gr just awsome...thanks guys, Lou

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That 300gr Speer is a great bullet Lou. I wouldnt be scared to stick it in a moose at all. That Barnes sounds pretty good as well. Looking forward to hearing how they shoot as well. Those should penetrate well. Scotty

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
beretzs said:
That 300gr Speer is a great bullet Lou. I wouldnt be scared to stick it in a moose at all. That Barnes sounds pretty good as well. Looking forward to hearing how they shoot as well. Those should penetrate well. Scotty
Thanks Scotty...those 300 gr speer's shoot real tight at 100-150yds..gonna try the 300gr tsx just to see, im sure they well shoot just fine, i well let you know pal..Lou :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
findrichard said:
If you question their website information just email them. They were very responsive to my questions.
I don't question there web site. Besides they most likely only know what they read or were told from Federal marketing people.

One person was asking about the 300gr speer bullet loaded in the federal ammo & then someone else stated it was 350grs & made for the 458 win mag. Two totaly differant Speer bullets. The tougher 350gr is not bonded But is a HOT CORE bullet like federal says the 300gr bullet they are loading is. The problem is Speer doesn't catalog a 300gr HOT CORE bullet. It catalogs a 300gr UNI-core type bullet.......at least as a reloading componant bullet.

Does the 300gr bullet found in the federal ammo have a small HOLLOW POINT to it. If it does than I would say it is the Uni-core bullet. If not it could be a bullet speer makes just for federal. They do that kinda stuff for many manufactures (sp).

John

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the bullet, I would think it's a unicore, not much of a hollow point, but rather a small dimple on the nose..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would almost bet money it is the same 300gr UC. It looks identical to the other .458 300gr Uni Cors I have seen in the past. Scotty

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
beretzs said:
I would almost bet money it is the same 300gr UC. It looks identical to the other .458 300gr Uni Cors I have seen in the past. Scotty
Thanks Scotty, i think you are right!...they shoot just awsome from my 45-70 as you know, good for moose for sure, being up here in Canada, i can't get the buffalo bore, cor bon etc ::)....thanks buddy....Lou

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No sweat Lou. There are a bunch of other Canucks on here that seem to like that bullet as well. I am kinda surprised they haven't spoken up. Scotty

1 - 20 of 33 Posts