Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, was wondering, I just opened my 2 boxes of federal hammerdown to take a look at the ammo, and something seemed weird to me. Look at the picture, are the bullet seated a little sideways? Or the brass is not trimmed evenly? Every cartridges are that way. Someone here have some hammerdown on hand? Are they like it for you too?

Attachments

· Registered
151 Posts
Does the bullet seem to be concentric if you roll the cartridge across a flat surface or the bullet tip appear to be oscillating? Have you tried trimming a fired case to see if the trimmer starts cutting one side of the case mouth before the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't shoot them yet, bought it from a store 3 hours from here.. 45-70 ammo and reloading supplies are hard to get in Canada...as suggested rolled the cartridge on a table, bullet isn't oscillating.. most likely brass not trimmed square.. I'll try to shoot a few soon! Thanks for your time and sorry for my English.

· Registered
309 Posts
Maybe that is one of the special features to make the Hammerdown feed better in "Henry" rifles since it was developed for their lever guns?

On a serious note I have several boxes of the nickel plated Hammerdown and it does not look like that. Neither does the Federal Fusion which is the exact same ammo best I can tell. I think due to supply chain shortages resulting from the C word, you know, the ubiquitous excuse everyone uses now when they cannot get their sXXt together, the cases are brass instead of nickel for the Hammerdown line of ammo.

· Registered
4,186 Posts
It's probably impossible to cant a bullet to the extent that it appears. I think that the case mouth was not manufactured square. I'd just shoot them and square the case mouths up in your trimmer.
Agreed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts